Is this PC good for making Daz renders

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Hello I was wondering if Asus ROG Strix G10DK-21202T is a good pc for rendering in Daz ?
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4.6 GHz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660 6GB

The CPU isn't bad, but it's the only thing that this configuration have.
8 GB is really short for rendering, you should have at least 16 GB, and 32 GB if you want to not have to worry about the RAM.
As for the GPU, even with the 16xx generation being an evolution of the 10xx, NVidia is now at the 30xx generation, two steps ahead.
Plus, like for the RAM, 6 GB of video RAM is relatively short. If Daz don't achieve to store everything inside it, it will fallback to a CPU rendering. And with such CPU/GPU configuration, it's even possible that it sometimes end being faster.

Master Duck79

Oct 1, 2019
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4.6 GHz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660 6GB

The CPU isn't bad, but it's the only thing that this configuration have.
8 GB is really short for rendering, you should have at least 16 GB, and 32 GB if you want to not have to worry about the RAM.
As for the GPU, even with the 16xx generation being an evolution of the 10xx, NVidia is now at the 30xx generation, two steps ahead.
Plus, like for the RAM, 6 GB of video RAM is relatively short. If Daz don't achieve to store everything inside it, it will fallback to a CPU rendering. And with such CPU/GPU configuration, it's even possible that it sometimes end being faster.
Thank you for answering :)
What do you think is better to do Buy another PC and if so what PC is the best for the daz or buy one Pc and upgrade it ?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
What do you think is better to do Buy another PC and if so what PC is the best for the daz or buy one Pc and upgrade it ?
It totally depend of the money you can put in it. But unless you want to make a regular use of DForce, the CPU is less important than the GPU and its memory.
When rendering, Daz Studio put everything (mesh geometry and textures) in the GPU memory, therefore 12 GB is the minimum it should have. There's way to optimize this, by cutting of what will not be on the render, reducing the texture size and all, and script to do this, but it's always better if you can keep the whole scene ; especially the texture size for everything that will be close to the camera.
But before rendering, everything is in the main memory, plus the OS itself, Daz Studio and everything else you can run at this time. What lead to the 32 GB for the RAM. So far I mess with Daz more than anything else, and the 16 GB I initially happened to be relatively short. Since I past to 32Gb, I rarely use more than 16 GB, but when it happen the OS not having to swap it and all really make a difference.
And obviously, the more powerful the GPU will be, the faster Daz will render the scene. If you don't expect to build big scenes, or have a big amount of renders, or have animations, a GeForce 2070 can do it ; I know that many authors still works with it. But if you think you'll need big scenes, many renders or animations, then a 30xx is what you should have.
As for the CPU, an Intel one, or a AMD Ryzen, it depend. DForce need a lot of computation, but generally an Intel CPU just need two/three minutes at most. It would be more comfortable to have a Ryzen, but it's not too killing to not have one.

What you should seek is the best compromise between the power, the price, and the time you can afford to "lost" because Daz is rendering.
By example, if you plan to have just few renders, it's not really a problem if Daz need 30 minutes to generate each one. You can have batch rendering, therefore launch a batch of renders before you left fr works, and one when you'll go to sleep, and you'll have around twenty renders by day. And this would just need an average computer.
But if you really need many renders, then Daz should be able to render with an average of 5 minutes or less. And for this you would need the best in terms of GPU and CPU.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
In the last year I went from an i5, 2070, 24 gig of ram set up to an i7 3060ti and 32 gig of ram.

Like anne O'nymous said, the i5 to i7 does not make much difference in daz for me, I got it for gaming.
The 24 to 32 gig of ram, meh, my scenes are not that complicated so I cant really comment.

The 2070 and the 3060ti both have only 8 gig of vram, I never run out of it, again, my scene are simple, I'm too lazy to set up complicated scenes so I have no need for any more, well I do but it comes down to the $$$$.

In my opinion - at least 24 gig of ram, any 30 series card to keep up with the times. Of course the bigger the better but keep in mind you looking at big bucks to make fuck pics and a big card will not make you any better at doing it than someone with smaller card, it will just make it quicker to fuck things up.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
The 24 to 32 gig of ram, meh, my scenes are not that complicated so I cant really comment.
From what I noticed, and with my usage of my computer, the real barrier is at 16 GB. I just not thought about 24 GB because I goes with the flow when upgrading mine, simply doubling the RAM. But it's probably a good option ; that would save few bucks that could then be invested in the GPU.

Jul 22, 2019
Unless you want to pursue this long term and work on some serious projects, I would recommend AGAINST buying a new PC just for this stuff. The build you talked about is imo more than enough for small-medium scale stuff if you know what you're doing. The only thing I would potentially change is the RAM (make sure you use dual channel mode, aka don't get one big stick, get two small sticks and put in appropriate slots if you decide to go up, a thing I see routinely people fuck up). But even with 8 gigs you can make due by keeping your scenes small, and using scripts like to reduce texture sizes that are far away or do not need much detail. A lot of assets have maps as high as 8k resolution, completely unnecessary 80% of the time. You can reduce them all the way down to 2k or even 1k and reduce the memory consumption dramatically.

The VRAM could be an issue, but by reducing texture sizes as I said above it'll work. Other than that there are some general workflow and scene setup tips that you should use to get the best performance out of what you have, like reducing texture detail, keeping number of objects minimum in the scene, using spot rendering where applicable to make small changes, keeping mesh resolution to the min you can get away with etc. These things should be kept in mind regardless of whether you have a good setup or not, if you willy nilly just keep adding stuff to your scenes, after a while even 24 gigs of RAM will not do you any good, neither will latest 30 series Nvidia GPU.

But then again, if its something serious, or you want to make big projects, the more you can get the better. The CPU is more than enough for most applications in your setup, the RAM and GPU could use an upgrade.