Issue starting my RPGM games

supersomeone

Nov 20, 2019
Yesterday I downloaded "youtube-dl" and it involved downloading an ffmpeg.exe and some other stuff and creating a new Path. This somehow messed with something and now every time I try to open an rpgm game, a debug log file shows up that says:

[0404/195452.243:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(56)] CreateFile: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x2)

I deleted everything involved with youtube-dl but that didn't change anything

Does anyone know a fix? Thanks

Nov 27, 2018
Try reading all four and then applying the suggestions in the order I listed them (ignore the exact version number in the third one):

NW.js:

supersomeone

Nov 20, 2019
Try reading all four and then applying the suggestions in the order I listed them (ignore the exact version number in the third one):

NW.js:
thank you for the response! For the first one, I'm not sure exactly what I am supposed to delete

Nov 27, 2018
The "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local" part?
If you can't locate AppData, enable "show hidden files" (if you don't know how, Google this + your version of Windows). Or press +R keys and type %appdata% (may take you to one of the folders inside AppData)

For each game, look for a folder with game title or developer's name, then delete it. If you can't find them in AppData\Local, try looking inside LocalLow and Roaming folders.

You may also see if removing "nw" or "nwjs" folder from AppData\Local helps (I'm not sure if it contains any unique, non-cache data, so keep a backup somewhere in case removing it breaks something else).

supersomeone

Nov 20, 2019
The "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local" part?
If you can't locate AppData, enable "show hidden files" (if you don't know how, Google this + your version of Windows). Or press +R keys and type %appdata% (may take you to one of the folders inside AppData)

For each game, look for a folder with game title or developer's name, then delete it. If you can't find them in AppData\Local, try looking inside LocalLow and Roaming folders.

You may also see if removing "nw" or "nwjs" folder from AppData\Local helps (I'm not sure if it contains any unique, non-cache data, so keep a backup somewhere in case removing it breaks something else).
unfortunately, I’ve tried everything but the last reddit thread solution so I will have to try that

The problem is though, when I try to delete the files the reddit user listed, I get an error for most of these files saying they are open in another program, so I can’t even close them, is there a way to override this?

Also I cannot find the icys file he is talking about

Nov 27, 2018
If they're locked that way even if you restart the computer and try right after logging in, you should still be able to do that in safe mode. In older Windowses you would press F8 while booting to get the launch menu where you could select it, but it sounds a bit more convoluted for .

Preferably backup everything by moving it to some other location instead of outright deleting. And create a system restore point just to be on the safe side in case there's some stray system file in what you remove.

Which reminds me... do you have any system restore points from before the "youtube-dl" thing? Sometimes Windows creates them on its own when you install things, so you may have one you could revert to even if you've never used that feature.

I don't know what that file is either; the Internet only mentions cases of a coin miner pretending to be that file but nothing about it being a genuine system file, so maybe that Reddit user accidentally fixed his malware problem with that. Temporarily disable to make sure you don't have it in AppData.

supersomeone

Nov 20, 2019
If they're locked that way even if you restart the computer and try right after logging in, you should still be able to do that in safe mode. In older Windowses you would press F8 while booting to get the launch menu where you could select it, but it sounds a bit more convoluted for .

Preferably backup everything by moving it to some other location instead of outright deleting. And create a system restore point just to be on the safe side in case there's some stray system file in what you remove.

Which reminds me... do you have any system restore points from before the "youtube-dl" thing? Sometimes Windows creates them on its own when you install things, so you may have one you could revert to even if you've never used that feature.

I don't know what that file is either; the Internet only mentions cases of a coin miner pretending to be that file but nothing about it being a genuine system file, so maybe that Reddit user accidentally fixed his malware problem with that. Temporarily disable to make sure you don't have it in AppData.
thanks for all the help, unfortunately, my situation is even more confusing now (and Nah, I did not have a restore point before all this happened).

So I deleted the files in all the folders the reddit user said and now I am able to open certain rpgm games, but they run pretty slow now, and if I try to start certain rpgm games, they don't run at all like before, and once I try to run these certain games, it impacts all my other rpgm games and even the ones that were opening before no longer open and it takes a computer restart to reset the cycle. I have no idea what is causing this bs