Issues with saving in Renpy

gobman

Oct 20, 2017
Many people have reported that they suffer issues with saving within my game. I don't personally experience this problem even after redownloading my own game. I think the issue is that you need to double click the save slot because of the transitions within the menus. I believe that many are clicking once, and not saving then continuing with the game.

The game is "The Wants Of Summer". Also this is particuarly prevalent on the web build (uploaded to newgrounds).

The Wants Of Summer

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I think the issue is that you need to double click the save slot because of the transitions within the menus.
This is just my $0.02, but if you've changed the mechanism that people need to follow in making saves, then the issue is on your end, not theirs. Ren'py users expect a particular user interface because of the zillions of games that follow that UI in Ren'py. If you've altered it, then it's not surprising that they're going "WTF?"

I don't mean to be accusatory, but this is reality. How many of us go "WTF!" when Microsoft or somebody else changes the UI on a program we're used to using, and now we can't find out how to do X that we used to know well? People are creatures of habit.

gobman

Oct 20, 2017
Yeah It was my fault. I was just asking for help and wanted someone to have a peek at the code. It was a problem with my options file, I removed the "define configs" ages ago and that was messing with where people stored saves.

gobman

Oct 20, 2017
I deleted the "define" before the config because it was giving me issues before. I'm still new to renpy so I didn't realize how grave a mistake it was.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I deleted the "define" before the config because it was giving me issues before.
I was ready to say that it wasn't a problem, since the configuration store isn't saved anyway...
But then I remembered the little problem ; the assignations are now wandering somewhere at low level outside of an init block, an potentially not proceeded at all.

But it's just half a problem. Most declaration in "option.rpy" are just a copy of the declaration in "config.py", therefore the value are defined and all. And anyway I really don't see why this would imply the need for a double click to save.

This being said, there's also a thing I noticed recently ; I guess that it started with the 7.4.x branch. Ren'Py do not integrate itself to the OS in the same way he did before. Previously, even if the window wasn't the active one, a click on it was directly interpreted. Now, the first click is to get back the focus, and only the second will be effectively proceeded.
Among the same time, I also noticed few games that seem to be, hmm, "heavy" regarding their save. I mean by this what you said, the need to click twice ; as if the buttons expected more weight and the first one was too light.
I'm not sure that the two are effectively linked, nor how they would be, but you talking about the transition... well, perhaps that it make the screen (not the window, the "screen" with its Ren'Py meaning) somehow loose its focus, and therefore the first click would not save because it's used to give back this focus to the screen.

I insist on the fact that I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud.