It's kinda depressing.

Oct 7, 2018
When I got into eroge there were countless top-tier Japanese VNs to play, and when I started to run dry of those there were countless top-tier western indie-type games to play. Kinda depressing to know I'll never be in that position again.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
The higher quality western stuff tends to be either 2DCG or actual 3D game, try looking for games using these filters.

OMGMCM

Jun 28, 2022
i dunno about everyone else but the 2DCG and 3D stuff just doenst do it for me, every character looks the same like that smuge mesh skin with the dry frazzled looking hair, like once you've seen one you've seen them all

sliveart777

Nov 12, 2019
Imagine how it feels for someone who doesn't like visual novels. One in every hundred games on here are worth playing, maybe less.

OMGMCM

Jun 28, 2022
Imagine how it feels for someone who doesn't like visual novels. One in every hundred games on here are worth playing, maybe less.
i know i don't like VN at all i don't know why there are so many, probs coz anything else takes alot more time so its hard to get it to be worth doing

nulnil

May 18, 2021
Same, minus the VN part. Got into adult games after finding a hentai mugen video. Played all the classics, now I'm left with nothing to play. I've almost started throwing gameplay quality out the window at this point.

Geralt_R

Jun 4, 2022
Kinda depressing to know I'll never be in that position again.
This is what growing up is all about... you can only watch Star Wars for the first time once... or listen to a sublime piece of music for the first time once... and after more and more decades are added to your life clock you realize you have mostly seen it all now and everything else is just a variation or an imitation of things you have seen before. And many times it's of a lesser quality.

Which is why people are usually nostalgic for the things they grew up with, when things were new and could leave an impression. One of the first VNs I played/read was Leap of Faith. I still think about that game. But I can hardly remember what VN I tried last week, it certainly wasn't as good as LoF.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
every character looks the same like that smuge mesh skin with the dry frazzled looking hair, like once you've seen one you've seen them all
Aren't you confusing it with 3DCG? Those are the ones that have the issues you mention.

Usually 2dcg or 3d games are more prone to have original artwork because people aren't just taking screenshots of the same 3D software and models...

Reactions: F4C430

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
and after more and more decades are added to your life clock you realize you have mostly seen it all now and everything else is just a variation or an imitation of things you have seen before. And many times it's of a lesser quality.
It rarely feel like being of a better quality, because what you remember is rarely the effective quality, but the amount of nostalgia it trigger.
But in the same time it come with a perk, you become less demanding. Since you've already since "this", and it will hardly be better than what you know, you just goes with the flow. You seek less for "good entertainment", as long as it's "not this bad after all", it will do. And it's finally how you get the biggest slaps, because sometimes it end being really entertaining.

Reactions: PsychicStress

Geralt_R

Jun 4, 2022
It rarely feel like being of a better quality, because what you remember is rarely the effective quality, but the amount of nostalgia it trigger.
Certainly, few things can beat the impression a movie or show or anything will leave on you when you are young. On a technical level at least modern things are usually a lot better, there is also tons of great new music, maybe not necessarily in the mainstream, but it exists.
I think it's important to still keep an open mind about new things, sure I can listen to Dark Side of the Moon for the 1000th time, or I can listen to something new that is different, but also good. And every once in a while a new tv show is objectively better than most things we watched in the past, I think Severance on Apple TV is a great show, for example. And the things we remember fondly like X-Files etc had lots of mediocre or bad moments even.

However, I would argue that at least mainstream movies were a lot better 20+ years ago. When things like Forrest Gump or Titanic or Star Wars could all be #1 hits at the box office, appealing to very different groups of people. And not just MCU movie #274, #275 and #276. Mainstream cinema has become too formulaic.

einstudios

Sep 1, 2022
It's the novelty of the experience that does it for you. Same as how we'd put on a pedestal that first person who sexually awakened (aroused) us.