Ren'Py - JL: Next Generation [v0.04] [Big T]

1. 2.00 star(s)

Bonerhat

Pretty amateur offering. If you're wondering why it's 2.6GB at v0.04 and with few enough scenes to not even have a vaginal sex tag yet, it's because not only are all the images uncompressed, but the dev has actually left all their photoshop work files in the download too.

Swaps back and forth between grainy renders as the dev learned to denoise, dialogue has many elementary grade grammar mistakes like I's being lowercase and stuff like calling Batman BatMan, they use a comic sans font to try to give it a comic feel but it doesn't really sell well outside of chat bubbles and is also just small enough to be annoying to read, some sounds aren't assigned to a sound channel so they just play full volume regardless of slider settings, completed quests don't get removed from the journal so enjoy scrolling, etc. I could go on with countless other little gripes, but overall it's enough said that it all just feels very amateur.

Probably worst though is it does the open world navigation thing which is rarely a good idea for solo devs to try to tackle, and this is a pretty textbook example of why: It's ambitious and probably took a significant amount of effort to setup all the imagebuttons and everything, but like most other games that do it without a good reason and a large team to flesh it out it really adds little to the experience and is generally just a tedium between you and the content. Every quest appears to be necessary to progress too, so it's ultimately largely kinetic anyway and makes it all the more useless. With that there's also the skill grind too of doing repetitive minigames that aren't particularly interesting. I ended up just cheating the points as I had no interest in interacting with that (the variable is named power_points for anyone else who needs it).

I only got to one lewd scene before I lost patience with the rest of it, and it was also fairly amateur and pretty standard mid-level basic Daz posing. Not nearly hot enough to grab my attention.

Overall, not really something worth you time right now. A lot of effort went into it and it's not just a lazy VN patreon scam in a default renpy installation or anything, but it unfortunatly instead feels like an overly ambitious DeviantArt fanfiction project by a first time dev. I'd recommend the dev A) write your script in a word processor first to catch these basic grammar mistakes, and B) drastically reduce the gameplay scope of the project and find a more stable, smaller, foundation. Loose all the navigation shit, or if you really want selectable content, just have a single map screen where content pops up as it's available. Otherwise is wasting both your and the player's time.