Daz Just a thread about clothing and things... to be continued

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Ok, so i have played now for some time with DAZ and clothing for females Genesis 8.

Most look great but have no options or rather limited options.

One of the really nice clothing's that i came across where from Sue Yee.
I personally like the options her/his clothing have plus they look really nice.
Good to work with it. I really like what this person did.
I was looking also for some negligee. They are many but one i find really nice because it has, again, really a lot of options in the parameters.
by Sparkman

When working with clothing, it appears that some aren't really great or at least you have to put some additional work in it to make it work.
So i am looking mostly for some useful assets where the money is well spent.

Besides, i discovered recently that i did a bloody beginner mistake when i tried a long time ago iWaves Pantyhose. If you have HD on the figure turned on it pokes everywhere. If disabled, it works just fine. Or maybe i got it again totally wrong. Who knows.

Bottom line is, i bought some "hot" clothing but it wasn't really that great to work with.
When i am interested in a skirt, i like to alter it in any way. Short, Mini or long. Bending long clothing is mostly my issue. So if i want to have a character have something more conservative on, it is mostly really hard to make it work in sitting position or when bending. I know, if you know all the tricks you can make it work. But then i ask myself what do i actually pay for?

When i buy something i really want options with it. Not just the freaking cloth piece.
So for that reason i am thankful for this site because i can not imagine to buy something and then you discover that is total shit.

Also, i came across assets from HevieState3D. She really did some nice work.
Before there was only Sickleyield breast helper, so this one has actually some useful functions that work a little better with really large breasts.

Mostly for me as i don't want to doctor around things too much.

If you like to share your awesome picks, why not add them to the thread?
We all can learn from it, maybe.

Ok, maybe a lame thread. lol

SimpleTimes

Jan 26, 2021
it's a hit and miss... i download everything from a 3rd party site before buying anything on the DAZ store because i spent too much money on bad assets.

edit: lucky enough DAZ has an pretty good customer support, they have refunded me a few things after i told them that they aren't suitable for my needs. However i don't wont to go through bothering them with 1/5 assets which are really unusable and/or bad quality to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: PKerchu

drapak12

Jul 7, 2018
Ok, so i have played now for some time with DAZ and clothing for females Genesis 8.

Most look great but have no options or rather limited options.

One of the really nice clothing's that i came across where from Sue Yee.
I personally like the options her/his clothing have plus they look really nice.
Good to work with it. I really like what this person did.
I was looking also for some negligee. They are many but one i find really nice because it has, again, really a lot of options in the parameters.
by Sparkman

When working with clothing, it appears that some aren't really great or at least you have to put some additional work in it to make it work.
So i am looking mostly for some useful assets where the money is well spent.
Clothing can looks good on promo images but it does not mean that they are easy to use. Best way (and I think only atm) to make clothink looks natural is dforce system. It is not great but best for Daz studio. All breast shape support systems have limitation. F95 prefer all breast sizes from huge to gigantic ;). There is no way to fit clothes to such morph except dforce. You can use it for some bodysuit or t-shirt. Loose coats, robes, gowns, sweaters and especially LONG SKIRTS require dforce.
You must remember that dforce detect collision and translate vertex/planes to outside the mesh. Big breast, armpit are when arms down, hip area when legs are bend can push cloth surface between surface of the figure mesh. dforce alghoritm is not smart enough to decide if clothing should be pushed inside arm or toso.
Casual outfit looks ok (never try this assset, just predict according images.) but coat will cause problem. Shirt and shorts can be used as simple conformed clothes but coat needs dforce. It has hood, ruffles etc. Can be used in "portrait" renders with natural/casual poses. Night suit is similar to coat. The bow, thin straps and ruffles are difficult to pose.

You should try to play with someting simple. Best long skirt is just a tube with 2 materials (different dforce setting). 1st upper row of faces with low contraction/expansion ratio (try 70-80%) and rest default. I do not try depreciate your skills. It is just easier to try and see (and make some misstakes) then explain.
Show03.png
This is very old svdl dynamic kimono for V3. I know that it is far from sexy/pretty/hot clothes but looks correct. There is no pokes and draped correct.
PortraitLO2.png
This is dress created in wings3d. More advanced then simple tube but only a little bit. It does not fit to body in default shape before simulation. Belt material (darker one) has low expansion (70% as I remember) and top part is about 90%. Apperance as above - not great but correct.

no_more_name

Mar 3, 2024
you have to put some additional work in it to make it work.
That's the fun part if you ask me.

I think it falls under the limits of UberShader, mostly. It's been quite a weak spot for Daz for a long time. As obese and versatile UberShader is (one shader for all surfaces), it does not treat textile surfaces as a dedicated shader would. I don't blame them as it's almost an impossible task to begin with, ergo you need to compromise somewhere and it's a huge headache. Some surfaces may turn alright (sheer, leather, satin to an extand...) some others very not.

Few tips from an old faggot, really depends on how the asset is done:
-Increase subD level almost always. Not just for simulation but how rays hits on a surface.
-Crank Normal map (remove limit->1.3, 1.5, 2.0 and so on)*
-There is lot of textile surface you can take inspiration from as a swiss knife. (ie SueYee doing well with cards he was dealt)

*believe me or not, there is something really wrong with UberShader and normal map.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
That's the fun part if you ask me.

I think it falls under the limits of UberShader, mostly. It's been quite a weak spot for Daz for a long time. As obese and versatile UberShader is (one shader for all surfaces), it does not treat textile surfaces as a dedicated shader would. I don't blame them as it's almost an impossible task to begin with, ergo you need to compromise somewhere and it's a huge headache. Some surfaces may turn alright (sheer, leather, satin to an extand...) some others very not.

Few tips from an old faggot, really depends on how the asset is done:
-Increase subD level almost always. Not just for simulation but how rays hits on a surface.
-Crank Normal map (remove limit->1.3, 1.5, 2.0 and so on)*
-There is lot of textile surface you can take inspiration from as a swiss knife. (ie SueYee doing well with cards he was dealt)

*believe me or not, there is something really wrong with UberShader and normal map.
Well, i am not very technical.
But i noticed that when you run simulation, some or maybe all assets will collide in some form.
So, i try to avoid dforce hair if i can. It taxes the system also a little bit more. Still, i like (maybe love) Lindsay hair though he doesn't really have what i am looking for.
SueYee is pretty good. I am not sure if he/she were thinking about naughty clothing, but it's pretty close. Very versatile.

As for the shader, this is an issue. So we know you have to light the scene really good to get all the colors in your render, but it happens that some colors don't come really out to be point that they aren't really noticeable as whatever color it is.
I notice it mostly on finger nails, and shoes. It's really annoying. Of course you can point a light on these items but any added light cost render time.
So i will heed that advise you mentioned and see how that comes out.

As for the clothing, i love to convey a scene where the character is more conservative in clothing. But when you have a scene where that character sits or bends, it look horrible. Of course you can avoid it by changing the angle of a scene but then again, i am thickheaded. I want it the way i want it. lol

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Clothing can looks good on promo images but it does not mean that they are easy to use. Best way (and I think only atm) to make clothink looks natural is dforce system. It is not great but best for Daz studio. All breast shape support systems have limitation. F95 prefer all breast sizes from huge to gigantic ;). There is no way to fit clothes to such morph except dforce. You can use it for some bodysuit or t-shirt. Loose coats, robes, gowns, sweaters and especially LONG SKIRTS require dforce.
You must remember that dforce detect collision and translate vertex/planes to outside the mesh. Big breast, armpit are when arms down, hip area when legs are bend can push cloth surface between surface of the figure mesh. dforce alghoritm is not smart enough to decide if clothing should be pushed inside arm or toso.
Casual outfit looks ok (never try this assset, just predict according images.) but coat will cause problem. Shirt and shorts can be used as simple conformed clothes but coat needs dforce. It has hood, ruffles etc. Can be used in "portrait" renders with natural/casual poses. Night suit is similar to coat. The bow, thin straps and ruffles are difficult to pose.

You should try to play with someting simple. Best long skirt is just a tube with 2 materials (different dforce setting). 1st upper row of faces with low contraction/expansion ratio (try 70-80%) and rest default. I do not try depreciate your skills. It is just easier to try and see (and make some misstakes) then explain.
View attachment 3689180
This is very old svdl dynamic kimono for V3. I know that it is far from sexy/pretty/hot clothes but looks correct. There is no pokes and draped correct.
View attachment 3689204
This is dress created in wings3d. More advanced then simple tube but only a little bit. It does not fit to body in default shape before simulation. Belt material (darker one) has low expansion (70% as I remember) and top part is about 90%. Apperance as above - not great but correct.
Yes, this.

I think the Dforce system works best if you have a standard (original) character. So everything fits well.
I don't.
So my character aren't meant where the clothing fits nicely. I started using Hevy BBW characters. So it's a little more out of the standard figure and clothing will fit mostly, adjustments are needed.

Your first picture is really nice. So the back isn't sinking in, at least not where you can see it.
I like it.
Yes, i have to play with the dforce settings a little more and see what works best.
Another trick i learned, which isn't a trick really, is to not use autofit and just layer it over the figure. This can work in some situations. I think this is how it worked before they had autofit. Maybe i am wrong.

Anyway, thanks for explaining. I have to do some trials.

When i started, i had even less knowledge about how everything works. Nowadays, with some more knowledge, it's getting better. Though i never really learned DAZ from the ground up and understood how it is meant to work.
In practice, DAZ does a good job. Sure, there are better software out there but let's be real. For someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time setting up a scene, DAZ is the best choice, even with the shortcomings.

drapak12

Jul 7, 2018
(...)
So my character aren't meant where the clothing fits nicely. I started using Hevy BBW characters. So it's a little more out of the standard figure and clothing will fit mostly, adjustments are needed.
(...)
Another trick i learned, which isn't a trick really, is to not use autofit and just layer it over the figure. This can work in some situations. I think this is how it worked before they had autofit. Maybe i am wrong.
Load cloth figure and NOT CONFORM.
Pose cloth fig body parts and scale them to obtain something less then fat shape but more then default (plupm?) convert figure to prop.
Load human figure nad in frame 10-15 apply BBW body shape. Apply keyframe to all body parts and whole figure.
In frame 30 apply pose which you want to see on your render.
I checked this trick with and works very well.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Load cloth figure and NOT CONFORM.
Pose cloth fig body parts and scale them to obtain something less then fat shape but more then default (plupm?) convert figure to prop.
Load human figure nad in frame 10-15 apply BBW body shape. Apply keyframe to all body parts and whole figure.
In frame 30 apply pose which you want to see on your render.
I checked this trick with and works very well.
Thank you. I will definitely try that out.

I think i saw a long time a video where someone did things like that. No titties frame zero, big titties frame 30. I think i lost that video but in the video it worked.