Just how easy is it to machine translate Japanese games and can anyone do it?

tarzan999

Aug 11, 2016
Hi, I want to machine translate a few games and I was wondering just how hard is it? There are a lot of JP games (including big ones) that never receive a machine translation and that is weird because we get pretty much every other game for free on here. It's literally the only exception I can think of. Does anyone have a guide? I don't need to know Japanese to create MTL right?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Do you know if this guide works for games that are not using the rpgm engine? The ones that fall under the 'others' category?
The premise is similar, you have to figure out how to decrypt the game files first to get access to the text and then modify it.

But this process might be a bit harder for games in the 'others' category because you will have to do your homework for each engine.

For more specific help you should probably ask directly in the translation forum.

Reactions: tarzan999

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Hi, I want to machine translate a few games and I was wondering just how hard is it? There are a lot of JP games (including big ones) that never receive a machine translation and that is weird because we get pretty much every other game for free on here. It's literally the only exception I can think of. Does anyone have a guide? I don't need to know Japanese to create MTL right?
Nowadays it's pretty easy as most games use Unity or other more popular and supported engines.
But older games can be impossible.
We also have Custom Parsers in Translator++ so it is only a question of extracting the scripts.