rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
ok here my spec for my computer

video card: ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G GDDR6 1920 CUDA Cores
memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA AMD 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR 4
motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4 AMD
cpu: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost)

what are the best settings for rendering with these so I can get a better render then this
I am new to daz I am learning as I got but just want to get some insight what I can do to make it better

kashhandjob.png

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
There is no "best setting" - each scene is kinda unique.

What you can do in other hand is to play with tone mapping : over/under exposure, ISO, gamma, saturation and so on.

Reactions: rayminator

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
My reaction to both of those is that the characters in the foreground need to be more illuminated. You've got a situation where the background is brighter than the characters, which tends to take the eye away from them. In your original image, you can barely see what she's holding, when that should be the center of attention.

I'm guessing you're illuminating with an HDRI and that the figures are somehow in shadow, but you should really add a couple of spotlights (maybe 50x50 rectangles so they don't cast sharp shadows) to put more light on the foreground, or else rotate the environment dome so that they're not shadowed.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
just redone one of the I did use two spotlights

this one with visualize dome on
testing.png

this one with visualize dome off

testing2.png

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
The lighting in these is noticeably better, to my eye. ("Visualize dome" is casting a very odd color, isn't it?) Certainly the figures are better lit. She's still backlit a fair amount, but that might be getting down to a matter of taste.

Looking at the shadows, the majority of your light is from more or less directly overhead. Maybe you're using an HDRI that's supposed to be noon-ish. If so, you might consider substituting one where the sun's not directly overhead, because then you could rotate the dome to see what different lighting angles might do for the scene.

Note that I'm not saying you should eliminate shadows - shadows actually are very important in making a scene look real. The trick is to have them where you want, and not where you don't. :)

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
The lighting in these is noticeably better, to my eye. ("Visualize dome" is casting a very odd color, isn't it?) Certainly the figures are better lit. She's still backlit a fair amount, but that might be getting down to a matter of taste.

Looking at the shadows, the majority of your light is from more or less directly overhead. Maybe you're using an HDRI that's supposed to be noon-ish. If so, you might consider substituting one where the sun's not directly overhead, because then you could rotate the dome to see what different lighting angles might do for the scene.

Note that I'm not saying you should eliminate shadows - shadows actually are very important in making a scene look real. The trick is to have them where you want, and not where you don't. :)

I think am I'm using DTHDR-MauiA-Background if there is a way to just change the sky or is there I can find the right slider for it

DTHDR-MauiA-Background.png

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Ah, ok. So the background is part of the HDRI. I get it. You'll usually find this kind of stuff in the Render Settings, under Environment. For example, there may be a slider there next to the HDRI image you can use to brighten and dim the whole thing.

But if the HDRI is providing your background (the water, waves, etc.) then you're kind of stuck with the sun angle. Then the usual way to handle filling in shadows is with spotlights (my preference) or ghost lights.

Do be aware that the default of 1500 lumens that a Daz spotlight gets created with is VERY dim. (In case you haven't noticed this.) To see any effect in an outdoor scene, you may have to crank spots up into the 10,000's or 100,000's.

Also, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt - I have a way that I like to light my scenes. Doesn't mean YOU necessarily like that, or have to like that. Some aspects of lighting are very subjective. The main point is that you (usually) need to consider what the focal point of the scene is going to be (in this case, probably her hand and its contents), and then arrange the lighting to draw the viewer's eye there. That usually means that area wants to be on the brighter side, and other areas a bit dimmer. When you have a very brightly-lit background and a dim foreground, it frequently draws the eye away from the foreground.

There are lots of good books and resources on lighting for photography - they apply here.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
To me (subjectively) that's a very distinct improvement over your original images. You're definitely heading in the correct direction.