Just noticed another reason to stop using MEGA

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
I'm sure many of you members here have noticed that MEGA links are becoming fewer and fewer in the games we download. This is mainly to do with the fact that the owners of MEGA are trying very hard to become mainstream squeaky-clean and 100% legal. In fact the owners (former associates of the infamous Kim) have recently cut a deal with the Feebies to cooperate in Kim's trial as long as they get to do their trial in NZ. The result of all this BS is that any white night with an axe to grind only has to send a single report to basically get any link taken down. And, of course, there was always that annoying bandwidth cap.

Well, I just noticed another reason to stay away from MEGA completely... it doesn't play well with Daz Studio. Because MEGA caches the files in RAM while you download, it butts heads with DAZ, which we all know is a massive memory hog. The result is that MEGA will slow to a crawl if you happen to be doing any rendering in the background. Torrents, on the other hand, work happily with DAZ. I barely notice any speed changes with my torrents while rendering.

And honestly, I don't miss MEGA. Other services seem to be filling the void (as they do always) and GoFile, in particular, has really bumped things up. Lately, I get consistent double-digit MB/s download speeds. Heck, I hit 78 MB/s down with GoFile yesterday on a 2 GB file.

So adios MEGA...

arcticgale

Jun 19, 2017
...Because MEGA caches the files in RAM while you download, it butts heads with DAZ, which we all know is a massive memory hog. The result is that MEGA will slow to a crawl if you happen to be doing any rendering in the background....
Does this also happen when you use their downloader?

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
Does this also happen when you use their downloader?
I've never actually tried their downloader. I'm wary of running any executable for file services, outside of my Google account really. I would imagine the downloader uses the same type of system though, downloading into memory then decrypting it there and finally saving it to disk afterwards. It probably just lets you do that while closing your browser (something you can't do when doing a normal MEGA download)