Just started using Daz3D. How can I install all my assets on my D drive instead of my C Drive?

Ratrio

Aug 21, 2018
Super basic question but yeah. My C drive is an SSD which I don't really want to fill up with Daz assets but I can't actually figure out how to change the install directory for them from my C drive to my bigger D drive.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
If you're installing Smart Content via Daz Install Manager, I believe you can set up a custom install directory of your choice. DIM > Gear icon > Advanced Settings > Installation. Set the "Content Path Shortcut" to custom, hit the plus buitton and put a path below. I have the same setup (Nvme boot drive/C Drive, 2TB crucial SSD/D Drive for (mostly) Daz storage. Mine looks something like this:

dim1.png dim2.png

But I also have Daz + DIM installed on my D Drive, as well. Might be different for you. I basically just created a fake Program Files (and x86 version) folder in said D Drive and installed it there. Which is the result of the directory in the above (second) image. My directory is a bit fucked for a few reasons, but the idea should be there.

mandir.png

That last folder on the bottom is where your non-Smart Daz Content (Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.), which essentially makes up your Content Library Tab in Daz. There might be an easier way that I'm not aware of, but that's what I did.

Reactions: Ratrio

Ratrio

Aug 21, 2018
If you're installing Smart Content via Daz Install Manager, I believe you can set up a custom install directory of your choice. DIM > Gear icon > Advanced Settings > Installation. Set the "Content Path Shortcut" to custom, hit the plus buitton and put a path below. I have the same setup (Nvme boot drive/C Drive, 2TB crucial SSD/D Drive for (mostly) Daz storage. Mine looks something like this:

View attachment 1374612 View attachment 1374616

But I also have Daz + DIM installed on my D Drive, as well. Might be different for you. I basically just created a fake Program Files (and x86 version) folder in said D Drive and installed it there. Which is the result of the directory in the above (second) image. My directory is a bit fucked for a few reasons, but the idea should be there.

View attachment 1374619

That last folder on the bottom is where your non-Smart Daz Content (Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.), which essentially makes up your Content Library Tab in Daz. There might be an easier way that I'm not aware of, but that's what I did.
Thanks for the reply! I was able to get it kind of working but not perfectly. I'm able to install content via DIM and it installs to my D drive but it only shows up in smart content after I have to fiddle around with the content database maintence setting in Daz, is this normal or have I maybe done something wrong?

Another couple of issues I have as well are when I uninstall content via DIM the files get deleted properly but it still shows up in DAZ like it's installed and the preview picture thing for it doesn't load properly. Like so

847fb171d38df7440c958846cccbeb71.png

The other issue I have is if I try to install content via DAZ itself then it installs but instead of installing to the directory I set for it, it installs here. I'm not sure why as that's not the folder I made for DAZ content to install to. It's not a massive issue since it's still on my D drive but I'd rather it install to the proper place.

c5ecde532f0bb5880c56081272e852e6.png

I feel like I must have done something wrong somewhere to be getting these kinds of issues but I'm not sure what exactly.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Okay, so for the latter part. It looks like you might be putting it all in one folder. If you look through the "My Daz 3D Library" folder, you should see stuff like "Data", "People", "Runtime", and stuff of the sort if it's a fresh copy/install. I'll break open Steven Hair by OOT just for example.

maninst1.png

The "Steven Hair" folder (right) has three folders. These are usually the most common. (This is usually a common installation approach for non-Daz store content). Just highlight all three in the Steven Hair folder and drag them into the My Daz 3D Library folder. Usually, this stuff isn't smart content related, so when in Daz you'll go to Content Library > My Daz 3D Library > People > Genesis 8 Male > Hair (since, in this case, since we installed hair) > OOT Steven Hair.

As for DIM, it's hard to tell without looking at what settings you have. That Steven Hair is DIM compatible (They usually have the "IM" followed by numbers. If you open DIM and select the box "Show Details", it should tell you where your stuff is being installed and where you can change it. I have my own set to the directory above.

dimset.png dim2.png

The in the left image should match the "Custom Path". I have it set to install to My Daz 3D Library. If you look at the inside of a DIM compatible folder (again, I'll use Steven hair.), it's almost the same as any other Daz Folder. In this case, it's shown in the first image. The DIM version of Steven hair has "Data", "People", and "Runtime". DIM just does the same process as above automatically. So, you find your Package archive for DIM. Settings > Advanced Settings > Downloads. Then drop your DIM file into that folder. Once done, cancel out of the settings page and hit the refresh icon in DIM (near the top right), and file should pop up there. Hit install or select all and hit start queue.

arc1.png ip.png

One thing I forgot to mention is that you might need to change where Daz Studio itself looks for the content, I'd show you if I wasn't mid-render, but mgomez0077 explains it here. Hopefully that helped some.

Reactions: Ratrio

Ratrio

Aug 21, 2018
Okay, so for the latter part. It looks like you might be putting it all in one folder. If you look through the "My Daz 3D Library" folder, you should see stuff like "Data", "People", "Runtime", and stuff of the sort if it's a fresh copy/install. I'll break open Steven Hair by OOT just for example.

View attachment 1374742

The "Steven Hair" folder (right) has three folders. These are usually the most common. (This is usually a common installation approach for non-Daz store content). Just highlight all three in the Steven Hair folder and drag them into the My Daz 3D Library folder. Usually, this stuff isn't smart content related, so when in Daz you'll go to Content Library > My Daz 3D Library > People > Genesis 8 Male > Hair (since, in this case, since we installed hair) > OOT Steven Hair.

As for DIM, it's hard to tell without looking at what settings you have. That Steven Hair is DIM compatible (They usually have the "IM" followed by numbers. If you open DIM and select the box "Show Details", it should tell you where your stuff is being installed and where you can change it. I have my own set to the directory above.

View attachment 1374761 View attachment 1374762

The in the left image should match the "Custom Path". I have it set to install to My Daz 3D Library. If you look at the inside of a DIM compatible folder (again, I'll use Steven hair.), it's almost the same as any other Daz Folder. In this case, it's shown in the first image. The DIM version of Steven hair has "Data", "People", and "Runtime". DIM just does the same process as above automatically. So, you find your Package archive for DIM. Settings > Advanced Settings > Downloads. Then drop your DIM file into that folder. Once done, cancel out of the settings page and hit the refresh icon in DIM (near the top right), and file should pop up there. Hit install or select all and hit start queue.

View attachment 1374772 View attachment 1374774

One thing I forgot to mention is that you might need to change where Daz Studio itself looks for the content, I'd show you if I wasn't mid-render, but mgomez0077 explains it here. Hopefully that helped some.
Thanks again for the reply! I followed your advice and things seem to be working more properly now so I really appreciate it.