Keeping Android game saves between updates

D

Dr PinkCake

I've been trying to locate the save files location on my Android phone as saves aren't automatically persistent between updates. From my google searches I found that the game saves to the .apk or to the SD card (but I cannot find or extract either of these from my phone).

What I want to do is to either be able to extract the save files or save the game files to: "Android>data>com.android.GAME_NAME>files>saves" on the internal persistent memory; just so that the player doesn't have to play the game from the beginning with every update.

I have unren'ed a handful of successful games with Android ports and haven't found a single one that keeps the save files between updates. Any insight on this matter is appreciated. If you know of a game that does this, please let me know so I can have a look at how it is implemented.

Cheers

Reactions: Palanto

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Well, I just wrote a tutorial for our players. It's not possible to extract the saves for us, but they can do it, since it's saved exactly at the location you said: sdcard/Android/data/com.aslpro3d.wickedchoices <-- in our games case. This folder has to be copied to a seperate location by the user, BEFORE they install the new .apk to their device. Then after installing it, they can just replace the newly created one with the old one they copied to a different location. Tada saves restored.

p.S.: sdcard/ doesn't mean it's on the sdcard because in my personal case I don't have one installed and it's still called sdcard/ ;)

Reactions: Jujitsism123
D

Dr PinkCake

Hey thanks a lot! After trying your game and it still didn't work I realized it must be an issue with my phone. I installed an explorer and managed to find the apps and hidden files. Indeed, the saves were there in the correct folder.
It's a shame that it is so tedious for Android users to copy the save files manually though, but hey as long as it works in some way I can't complain.
Cheers!

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Hmmm, which android version do you have? I only have 4.x (Tablet) and 7.x (Phone), I can browse to the folder with the standard installed explorer... (However that thing is called in english :D )
Don't need to install any 3rd party tool for that.

D

Dr PinkCake

Version 8.0. The explorer was standard software for my phone (Huawei Honor 9) but needed a manual install, so it may be how they wanted it to be on purpose.

Reactions: Palanto

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Alright that would be one reason for me to not update my phone and keep the crappy one I currently have :p Even less control over it than you already have without rooting it :p