Keyboard/Typing ability

How fast can you type, and how many fingers do you use?

• 10-30 WPM

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 31-50 WPM

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • 51-65 WPM

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • 75+

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Touch Typing (Using all your fingers, not looking at the keys.)

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Hunt and Peck (Using any # of fingers and having to look down to find each character.)

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • A combination of the two above

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other(Explain please.)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • QWERTY

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • (Any other keyboard layout)

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

Vgamer

Aug 16, 2017
Hello there everyone! I'm a very curious person and any forums I can I'm asking these questions to gather information to sate said curiosity.

You see, I have a very unique typing style. I use my two index fingers without looking at the Keyboard and can maintain speeds of typing into the upper 90's and even as high as 105! WPM*

*(For those that don't know WPM is "Words per minute"

If you could participate in this poll.
(You can vote three times so once for WPM and once for your typing style and once for the type of keyboard you use.)
And then tell me if you enjoy typing, tell me if you hate it. Talk to me about anything you want when it comes to this, for I'd be happy to do so with anyone interested in giving me their two cents. Thank you for reading!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Vgamer

Aug 16, 2017

Here's the video. I type slightly faster than him and with more accuracy.

While I'm at it I'll update the post with both the video and the site I use for my typing speed.

For anyone curious- he uses this site:

I don't recommend it though because without punctuation which is a fairly important thing (in my opinion) when typing it might skew your actual what I call "work" speed.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
I'm sorry to hear that your family thinks you're weird or it's bizarre for being able to do something unique. In my honest opinion, it doesn't matter how you can type. More power to you for being able to do it in that way. I've met people who can hit well above 100 WPM with their pinky and ring finger missing.

As far as I go, I use all the fingers/thumbs I have and average at about 90-100 WPM. Though just out of curiosity, does this go to included being able to hit the F1-12, #1 - 10 to include - = keys? Or is it just the letters?

Vgamer

Aug 16, 2017

Ah, well for me and my family we're already off par so to speak which is why I'm a bit of an outlier when it comes to this. It's not some like "Oh no I'm a freak" kind of treatment. It's just one of those: Raises eyebrows kind of things.

That's pretty good, my mum also does that. I don't think F1-12 are included in even e-sports (correct me if I'm wrong anyone.) I'm sure numbers however, are. I've been practicing with different combinations of exercises, using two notepads and timing myself to try and train my fingers to be able to deal with situations in which there is a need for numbers or the like. The Hypen is being used on the site I linked in the last spoiler on my first post in quotes for speed testing, and there's plenty of numbers and anything that shift and the number keys can make.

It just depends on what you see as necessary. Honestly in most lines of work I can't see 1-0 or the keys + shift being needed to be typed quickly when it comes to this kind of thing. Outside of accounting but at that point training to use the number pad is probably a must/wise choice. I can still maintain 75-80ish WPM when having to use keys I'm not used to or phrases in combination with things I'm not used to doing. Most of my typing seems to be muscle memory.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Gotcha, was just a curious thought. I don't have any issue using any of those key, with the exception of F5-12. I suppose I never had any reason to go out of the way to hit those keys. As you mention a lot of it is on a base to base necessity. Those involve in e-sports will probably have more of the keys memorized, If i'm not wrong, Starcraft 2 players. I think they use the F1-4 keys along with Alt, Ctrl 1-0, and all sorts of combination. But at that point, I would see that as a special case. As you said, it depends on what is necessary.

Out of curiosity, how do you handle FPS/3rd-person games?

Vgamer

Aug 16, 2017
Out of curiosity, how do you handle FPS/3rd-person games?
Are you asking due to the unique way of typing, perhaps I have a different keys setup for first person/third person games?

Not really, I play the same wasd and with the mouse on my right hand. (Even though I write with my left hand.)
I don't tend to like those games however, not due to skill but just lack of interest in that style of gaming. I used to play the original Battlefront 2 as a sniper (sometimes infantry) and got 40-50 kills online easy- if that means anything? Otherwise you'll have to clarify what you want to know.

I much prefer games that require a bit more thinking when it comes to things like MOBA's and etc. It's harder to "outplay" a person in a game that has set elements like CoD, which are based on a person's dedication to learning maps, and using quick scoping etc. (Again just personal opinion. I know a great number of people enjoy them.)

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Ah, my apologies. Hope it didn't come off as me being offensive. I was mere curious as to how you play them, considering most FPS/3rd-person games use the wasd keys. (I'm probably a unique case) when it comes to them, since I use esdf for my movement keys. But that's besides the point. Yeah I thought you might of have some different setup when you play those games.

Jimbles

Aug 30, 2017
So, I'm not really sure how to answer your poll. When I try to take an online typing speed test, it's usually absolute shit, like 20 WPM, constantly looking back and forth between the keys and the prompt. However, if I'm trying to type based just off of what's in my mind it's probably around 70 WPM without having to look at the keys. However, I do use a modified touch typing, I don't keep my fingers properly on the middle row of keys. I think from years of gaming my fingers have gotten used to siting on the WAD keys, but when typing it's shifted over a couple sets so: left hand on ZDRG(spacebar) right hand on ,;'(right shift).

Vgamer

Aug 16, 2017

Nah, nah I understand. Wasn't offensive I was just confused on what you could be asking. ^^ That's interesting to know and I always love to hear how other people do thins. esdf huh? It does give you more keys to work with overall to be fair, being able to use wazx and rtgv etc etc. I might actually switch to that for easy changes with more keys.

Yeah, I was like that for awhile. If you want to improve you can either learn with muscle memory- brute force learning by having your hands over the keys and clicking letters and learning overtime the positions. Or you can find a new position for your hands that you can find keys more comfortably it might help a lot. I've never heard of such "homekey" positions for a person. I'm probably an outlier case. I started hunting and pecking and then over time I learned how to type using muscle memory without even needing home keys.

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
We actually just had some competition back on our discord. The current results are these:
Sam: 118
TCMS: 110
Dasanko: 101
H△G: 85
TC: 80
bloodmane: 72
zoomg: 70
Souleater: 66
NeevAsteria: 62
Gab: 61
TheImage: 58
Rickardur: 57
Ted: 57
DarthSeduction: 56
Joraell: 40
Eoin: 32

Reactions: Vgamer and N7

FoxLust

Aug 20, 2017
Im pretty good at typing and can type blindly
Im not bragging because i can say im far away from being the best at typing fastly

W65

May 31, 2018
I was better at it back in the day. My speed and accuracy have taken huge dumps in the last 2-3 years.

I mean, it's a skill like anything else. I know a two-finger typer who stares at the keyboard, but that's just how he's learned and he has, oh, 30 years of practice doing it that way. He won't win any competitions, but he's faster than average. It's not as if touch typing is the sole method to achieve fast typing speeds. Sure, it's probably conducive to extremely fast typing, but then you start to get into nonsense about qwerty v. dvorak and all that garbage if you decide to ask "what is best for typing speed." Then a person mentions chorded keyboards or something and the whole discussion goes to shit.

Anyhow, I'm fast enough for my purposes.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
I can probably type 31-50 wpm, closer to 31 than 50 tbh.

I type with one finger on each hand and I know where the keys are so I just proof read after typing.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Never counted, I use two fingers, I always look, have done for 20 years, can't spell, have fat fingers, and prolly have a 30% typo average and miss words in sentences. I am a really quick two finger typer though. (That took 30 seconds to type, 4 mistakes and another 30 seconds to try and spell typer and 10 seconds to google it to find there is no such word)