[VN] [Ren'Py] Kindread: The Redburns [Ch. 3] [Inkalicious]

4.80 star(s) 18 Votes

genehage

Nov 19, 2016
Pretty great work.

I'm especially a fan of the way you do subtle conversation variants for previous decisions / stat levels. Best example is... (uh, avoiding spoilers) the Ch1_253a, Ch1_253b, Ch1_253c and Ch1_254a / var10 sequence. I really liked the effect of that one.

Reactions: inkalicious

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Pretty great work.

I'm especially a fan of the way you do subtle conversation variants for previous decisions / stat levels. Best example is... (uh, avoiding spoilers) the Ch1_253a, Ch1_253b, Ch1_253c and Ch1_254a / var10 sequence. I really liked the effect of that one.
Ha! Thanks. I do enjoy making these little variations, which might get missed, so good detective work there.

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Forgot about the game for some time and was pretty happy to see updated. As usual, love the game, the dialogues, the humor and the whole build up thing, however, the end of the third chapter left me really confused.

The MC is clearly a perv, but with a good soul and overall kind person.
Since he was perving on his "childhood friend/neighbour's daugther/classmate/roomate/pilot of the airplane/spacemarine", how come he overreacts so much, when she tells him the whole truth about things, that happened?

I want to think, that it was made so for the sake of cliffhanger, but perhaps I don't know something and I need to replay the game and see if I missed anything about MC?
See. You can find some good in even a slightly depraved soul.

Here's my take. And of course spoilers ahead...

When he first realises that he's being serviced in his sleep, he no doubt thinks he's won the lottery.
Even after being robbed of teasing her by her quick confession, he's probably still happy about all of this. But when he realises the full truth, it's not so much what she's done (though his ego is dented. More on that later), it's the fact she was also agitating Megan to act against him.
He was nearly thrown from the group at the hands of someone who was doing far worse than he ever did. That's why he's upset.
Though I think he'll get over it very quickly.

Mormont

Nov 30, 2018
First time playing this and I gotta say very impressed with this, decent story so far very interesting characters and I'm a sucker for cute redheads spoiled for choice with Megan and Sam both hotties. And as others have said very underrated and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this, nice work (y)

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Very nice game, looking forward to the next update, and to see where the story leads our beloved main character, in his time of depravity. Hoping that we will get more content with random girls outside the main base.
Also do you have plans for a combat system in the future that could lead to different story points, or will you keep it strictly visual novelish?

Makes me kinda hyped to see where my decisions leads me.
155328_Olivia.jpeg

You'll definitely be meeting Olivia above.

There isn't a combat system, but any action will be treated the same as other choices. So it'll use your previous decisions, current situation and other elements to decide outcomes.

fuckyouassholes

Nov 27, 2018
Cheers. Unfortunately I can't say how many.
The story is written, but the chapter length is determined by what I can get done and ending on a nice cliffhanger.

I do love a nice cliffhanger.

thank you for the reply !

hey, take your time

i love what i see so far !

best of luck

thanks alot for making this !

Mahgni Mada

Aug 15, 2017
@inkalicious
Man, these characters are awesome! Especially Sam (what a tease), I'm totally in love with them as well as the story and setting presented here. Well done! And good luck with the project.

I have a question though if you don't mind, is there any chance of you adding some optional urination scenes involving Sam in a future update for those of us who have a urination fetish? That scene were she needed to use the toilet was a bit of a turn on for me because I got excited at the thought of seeing her use the sink or something out of desperation. I'll admit I was a little sad when nothing actually happened :LOL:

I'm already going to support you on Patreon but if you were to add an optional peeing scene or two involving Sam in a future version, it would be a very hefty bonus that I (and I'm sure many others) would very much appreciate :giggle:

Last edited:

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
@inkalicious
Man, these characters are awesome! Especially Sam (what a tease), I'm totally in love with them as well as the story and setting presented here. Well done! And good luck with the project.

I have a question though if you don't mind, is there any chance of you adding some optional urination scenes involving Sam in a future update for those of us who have a urination fetish? That scene were she needed to use the toilet was a bit of a turn on for me because I got excited at the thought of seeing her use the sink or something out of desperation. I'll admit I was a little sad when nothing actually happened :LOL:

I'm already going to support you on Patreon but if you were to add an optional peeing scene or two involving Sam in a future version, it would be a very hefty bonus that I (and I'm sure many others) would very much appreciate :giggle:
Glad you're enjoying it Mahgni.

There are Patreon polls arriving after Chapter 4, but at the moment they're character specific, not for events or the story.
I thought about opening up more to votes, but I have more than enough to produce at the moment.

I also don't want to give too much away, but there is an optional pee-related event in a future chapter. Unfortunately it won't be ongoing content and how it happens is... relevant to the characters situation, so not sure if it'll tick the box or not.

I'm such a tease.

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Big post ahead...

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and feedback. It helps to know when characters, plot devices and the story are working and where things need improving.

One thing that's cropped up a few times is the belief that decisions don't have much effect. This is very far from the truth, but I completely understand why it seems that way.

I'm not going to change the VN, but I also don't want my audience to feel that they've been ambushed by unreasonable future WTF moments. No Daenerys plot twists here, so I'm going to explain my approach and some thinking in a couple of spoilers.

If you're happy just playing, no need to read these, just know your decisions have effects, however small.
If you'd like a little glimpse into my thought process, read the first spoiler.
Second spoiler contains spoilers for real.

For those reading back, this post was written soon after the release of Chapter 3.

In my mind there are story-related decisions and character-related decisions. They obviously affect each other, but I approach them very differently.

Story decisions can be very sneaky bastards, pretending to be not much of a choice, but one that'll lead to something terrible. Or wonderful. Or wonderfully terrible.
I don't flag these, as that's life, and life can be a sneaky bastard.

Character decisions are flagged, either via other characters dialogue or events, as you're here to shape an experience so there's control there. However the characters have their own plans. I can't help that, mind of their own...

At the moment, for the most part, the majority of character decisions have only led to subtle changes in their behaviour.
You were dealing with characters who were in control of the narrative to some extent. They had their own goals and aims in mind, but then you started making decisions.
Some of these were choose-a-path decisions and, once you're on a path, it's a much more subtle progression. This is shown via dialogue and small image changes and probably easy to miss.

However, up to now it was too soon to fully see the effects of your actions, but now these subtleties will slowly disappear as they become the reality you've chosen.

Good luck.

Seriously, spoilers ahead...

As I've said above, there are some story decisions that are just... sneaky bastards. And while not all are, there are also some that play the long game.
You've met one of these in Chapter 1. But you won't see its repercussions until near your end. I mean, the end of the VN. Chapter 3 has a doozy where there are multiple story paths from one decision, and at least one character isn't going to like it at all.

I really hope you take these in the spirit of playing a game set during an apocalypse.

As for character decisions.
You had a choice in what path to take with Sam in Chapter 1. The majority of you likely chose it.
Since then it's been subtle variations in how much you've pursued any path with her. You probably know now that she was playing her own game. But of course things can change, because...
Megan was a character that you were only ever slowly affecting, small tiny steps, until Chapter 3. In Chapter 3 you may have made a decision that will completely change your relationship.
Within that one decision, the slow burn is gone, and I think it makes sense in the build-up to that moment.

There's been one decision that has had no effect. That's if you entered the warehouse, I just wanted you to be lost. So no matter which direction you set out, you ended up touring the warehouse.
In these cases I allow myself to offer pointless choices as I'm trying to offer the MC's experience to you.
Oh, and staring closer at Marie's nether regions. That had no effect, she didn't care, but I wanted to worry you that you might blow your chance with her. Mmmwhahahahaha.

There's also another layer that I try to add to the experience.
Sometimes the MC will completely miss a comment or event that you might catch. Hopefully this gives you a knowing smile and not feel 'why can't I make the MC act on this?!'.

So, decisions do matter and there are hopefully surprises (good and bad) on the way. Fun and games, eh?

Last edited:

LouWill

Feb 3, 2018
Wanted to say that this game puts on a CLINIC in storytelling, and the slow but surefire buildup of emotions. Your choices do feel like they carry some heft. I have very minor criticisms, if at all. I thought Marie gave into falling for the protagonist rather quickly after they got out of the mall. Maybe the dialogue can be paced for that scene a little better. Anyway, I'm loving the post-apocalyptic vibe. Excited to see where this game ends up going.

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Wanted to say that this game puts on a CLINIC in storytelling, and the slow but surefire buildup of emotions. Your choices do feel like they carry some heft. I have very minor criticisms, if at all. I thought Marie gave into falling for the protagonist rather quickly after they got out of the mall. Maybe the dialogue can be paced for that scene a little better. Anyway, I'm loving the post-apocalyptic vibe. Excited to see where this game ends up going.
Cheers Lou. I know it seemed fast in terms of onscreen time, but hopefully it was apparent that they'd spent a long time trapped by the dead. Long enough to break down barriers of kill or be killed and mistrust, to share their stories, jokes and food.

Marie also seems to be in a bad place, with little food or protection, so hooking up with the healthy, well-fed and watered MC makes sense. Especially if she's used to using her feminine charms and was expecting to unleash them anyway.

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
I don't post much on here, but I lurk like crazy and follow lots of games. I actually download tons of games but just look at the pictures a lot due to the story's being shit. I can only take so many games where a guy is watching a movie with his sister, never kissed her and she ends up falling asleep on his lap, and she wakes up and he takes her V card right there. This game is one where the story has me hooked. The story creates stress and the characters are realistic for their age and stress levels. The sister is being a bratty older sister at times, but vulnerable at other times. The mom is doing what moms do, keep the peace, no matter what the cost to her own mental fortitude. I wont go into more specific praise as I don't want to give away plot points. Heh - I just realized the default names were specific (Meghan = Mom, Sam = Sis), nice alliteration.

Keep on doing what you are doing as this one is definitely bookmarked.

Nanashi774

Jul 16, 2018
So maybe it was already said or not but MC and Sam do not always call Megan "mom" when they are talking about her or to her when using the patch in chapter 3.
On another note while not a long chapter it was still interesting to read as we learned about some twists~~

Last edited:
Reactions: strenif

Mahgni Mada

Aug 15, 2017
Glad you're enjoying it Mahgni.

There are Patreon polls arriving after Chapter 4, but at the moment they're character specific, not for events or the story.
I thought about opening up more to votes, but I have more than enough to produce at the moment.

I also don't want to give too much away, but there is an optional pee-related event in a future chapter. Unfortunately it won't be ongoing content and how it happens is... relevant to the characters situation, so not sure if it'll tick the box or not.

I'm such a tease.
Hey, if that optional pee-related event involves Sam needing to relieve herself and we get to see her do that somehow, I'd consider that bonus box 100% ticked :p

Oh, and I didn't mean for it to be ongoing content or anything, I was just talking about it as a one off sexy scene with no big significance to the plot is all. Thanks for answering my question inkalicious, good luck with the rest of the game! :)

Last edited:

Mangene

Jan 31, 2018
Soooo... It won't happen in this VN, but in another, there was a character written who had an 'interest' in pretty dead things. And it was completely up to you whether that content was available or not.
However, after having one account closed by Patreon and a polite warning that they were now watching my account, I decided to not argue whether undead = necrophilia and get rid of that content.

I can't see myself lasting long on Patreon, so it might get reinstated. However, even as avoidable content, I'd have to think about it being a taboo too far for a wider audience.
As someone with an interest in varied and wildly depraved fetishes, if you have the opportunity to reinstate that, please do! There's criminally little content out there as it is for the truly weird shit. You'd be doing a great service to your fellow perverts. And there's no reason for people to complain about it if it's totally optional.

gestved

Aug 18, 2017
very good update again, good thing the dev implemented default names for the characters, I really dislike having to give them names, even more if it's beyond the MC

the whole final scene was just great,
from the sexyness viewpoint and from the character build up viewpoint, it makes sense for Sam to be doing those things seeing how she provokes MC constantly, even though they are in good terms. One could argue that she could just tell MC that she likes to play with his dick and makes things easier for both of them, but it's not unreasonable to think that she would rather keep it for herself, out of embarassment possibly and shame, or fear of their mother, or she likes doing those things on her terms, or she is just confused and don't know what to make of that situation. The reaction of Megan was spot on, she was livid with Sam not only for the act but out of jealousy, so she goes to MC, plays with his dick and goes a little beyond of what they've been doing, because she is afraid of not being top girl for MC

about Marie,
don't find her behavior too strange, I didn't pay attention exacly but it seems that she's alone fending for herself, she gets rescued by MC, she is clearly into some hardcore action, if she is alone she can't be satisfying herself a lot, she isn't shy, MC treats her right, so him getting a BJ isn't all that weird coming with all that context, also she could be playing MC to earn his trust or something like that

ThunderRob

Respected User
May 10, 2018
finally got around to playing the update..DAMN..that was fucking great!!!..love the new dame..still love the redheads..they are absolute beauties..and the story kept me happy all the way through...this game needs ALOT more attention..EVERYONE!!! PLAY THIS!!!

CatPause

May 11, 2018
If I found a typo or two (or three) while reading the game how would I be able to let the developer know short of taking a screen shot of the entire thing?

LouWill

Feb 3, 2018
Cheers Lou. I know it seemed fast in terms of onscreen time, but hopefully it was apparent that they'd spent a long time trapped by the dead. Long enough to break down barriers of kill or be killed and mistrust, to share their stories, jokes and food.

Marie also seems to be in a bad place, with little food or protection, so hooking up with the healthy, well-fed and watered MC makes sense. Especially if she's used to using her feminine charms and was expecting to unleash them anyway.
Thanks for the explanation :D I get where you're coming from now. Looking forward to the next update!

4.80 star(s) 18 Votes