VN Ren'Py Abandoned Kindread: The Redburns [Ch. 5] [Inkalicious]

4.60 star(s) 87 Votes

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
Good work on the VN. How long is your usual update time between chapters? 2-3 months?
Cheers. Unfortunately yes and it's far longer than I'd want obviously. I try to make up time where I can, but it'll never be a monthly release (unless things change in the real world).

Kulman

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2017
Cheers. Unfortunately yes and it's far longer than I'd want obviously. I try to make up time where I can, but it'll never be a monthly release (unless things change in the real world).
Of course no problem. Take all the time you need, better than a rushed thing. Although not gonna lie it will be a hard wait after the chapter 3 tease.

Reactions: inkalicious

xXx GAMELOVER

Feb 25, 2018
just updated game to ch 3... save issue after loading my end of ch 2 save...

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 264, in script
    python:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 268, in <module>
    renpy.call_in_new_context("_main_menu")
KeyError: u'_main_menu_screen'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    python:
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\ast.py", line 900, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\python.py", line 1930, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\game.py", line 332, in call_in_new_context
    return renpy.execution.run_context(False)
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\execution.py", line 892, in run_context
    context.run()
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 37, in script
    return
    return
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\ast.py", line 1490, in execute
    renpy.game.context().pop_dynamic()
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\execution.py", line 372, in pop_dynamic
    del store[k]

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.2.2.491
Kindread: The Redburns 1.0
Thu Jun 13 20:03:27 2019

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
just updated game to ch 3... save issue after loading my end of ch 2 save...

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    python:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    python:
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\ast.py", line 900, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\python.py", line 1930, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\game.py", line 332, in call_in_new_context
    return renpy.execution.run_context(False)
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\execution.py", line 892, in run_context
    context.run()
    return
    return
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\ast.py", line 1490, in execute
    renpy.game.context().pop_dynamic()
  File "E:\ADULT xxx Partial_Games_Archive\Kindread The Redburns [Ch. 3]\KindreadVol1_Redburns_Ch3\renpy\execution.py", line 372, in pop_dynamic
    del store[k]

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.2.2.491
Kindread: The Redburns 1.0
Thu Jun 13 20:03:27 2019
Thanks for the heads-up, log and files. I was able to replicate the bug using your save file, but unfortunately I have no idea where the bug's coming from or how to fix it.

Weirdly the same bug has happened with a few games here on F95, around the same release dates and using the same Ren'Py build, but there are no bug alerts about this.
However that's grasping at straws and doesn't fix this issue. And I'm going to blame porting to a larger format. I essentially started a new build, but was positive I'd copied over every aspect, but now I can't be certain.

So I'm sorry, but it looks like you'll need to begin again. I've updated the OP to reinstate the save bug alert.
I'm also going to be reaching out to testers for the next build, so hopefully this is the last we've seen of this bug.

Last edited:

xXx GAMELOVER

Feb 25, 2018
Thanks for the heads-up, log and files. I was able to replicate the bug using your save file, but unfortunately I have no idea where the bug's coming from or how to fix it.

Weirdly the same bug has happened with a few games here on F95, around the same release dates and using the same Ren'Py build, but there are no bug alerts about this.
However that's grasping at straws and doesn't fix this issue. And I'm going to blame porting to a larger format. I essentially started a new build, but was positive I'd copied over every aspect, but now I can't be certain.

So I'm sorry, but it looks like you'll need to begin again. I've updated the OP to reinstate the save bug alert.
I'm also going to be reaching out to testers for the next build, so hopefully this is the last we've seen of this bug.
for referance im on pc, windows 8.1

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
So I am not trying to sound like a whiny baby but I have read the entire thread and wondering if there was a dev schedule released? @inkalicious What I mean is are you thinking that you will release a major version every two or three months? Every month? Every day? I know am being pedantic on the last few, but I was just wondering if something was being aspired to from a dev schedule. I know people try to hold dev's feet to the fire for being late, but if you are like DMD and going every 3 months (once a quarter), it could be known so you don't get all the people always asking "Next Release Date?????" questions.

For the Modders/Site Admins, this might be something you put on the FP, so people don't ask all the time. I know people are lazy and don't read the FP much - but it is a thought, and takes little effort.

Again - no rush on my side, I just check this site daily when I get home from work, and hope for updates :)

Reactions: inkalicious

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
So I am not trying to sound like a whiny baby but I have read the entire thread and wondering if there was a dev schedule released? @inkalicious What I mean is are you thinking that you will release a major version every two or three months? Every month? Every day? I know am being pedantic on the last few, but I was just wondering if something was being aspired to from a dev schedule. I know people try to hold dev's feet to the fire for being late, but if you are like DMD and going every 3 months (once a quarter), it could be known so you don't get all the people always asking "Next Release Date?????" questions.

For the Modders/Site Admins, this might be something you put on the FP, so people don't ask all the time. I know people are lazy and don't read the FP much - but it is a thought, and takes little effort.

Again - no rush on my side, I just check this site daily when I get home from work, and hope for updates :)
Thanks for the suggestion, but not sure anything would work. I feel there are two things at play here.

Firstly I don't have a development schedule and what I aspire to is far different from the reality. Work happens when I find time and I'm very vocal about the situation.

Secondly, I don't think anything is going to stop these type of comments. I've tried bold neon fonts with relevant info, I'd make them blink if I could, and it just gets ignored. I've seen on other threads, and my own, that they're just going to ask anyway. It's like a compulsion to just create a comment, which I don't find complementary, constructive or worth replying to most of the time.

That's not everyone of course, but a case in point would be the last update request. From an account that was created a few minutes before their post and never accessed since. That isn't a new experience either.

I'll keep going as is and thanks again.

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion, but not sure anything would work. I feel there are two things at play here.

Firstly I don't have a development schedule and what I aspire to is far different from the reality. Work happens when I find time and I'm very vocal about the situation.

Secondly, I don't think anything is going to stop these type of comments. I've tried bold neon fonts with relevant info, I'd make them blink if I could, and it just gets ignored. I've seen on other threads, and my own, that they're just going to ask anyway. It's like a compulsion to just create a comment, which I don't find complementary, constructive or worth replying to most of the time.

That's not everyone of course, but a case in point would be the last update request. From an account that was created a few minutes before their post and never accessed since. That isn't a new experience either.

I'll keep going as is and thanks again.
Again - no worries. Just setting my expectations. Love the work so far and keep it up (wo)man. I work full time and have a few side gigs so I know how that goes about finding time. I have thought about getting back into coding again (I have taught it as a college prof, but not more modern languages, just C). I am a much better writer than coder. Unfortunately color blindness makes me shit at rendering images :)

Thanks for being so engaged and answering my questions, putting thoughts to digital media for public consumption and enjoy the rest of your day where every you are.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018

Update

Revenge is sweet they say. Or best served cold. Whatever, You'll find out in the next update as you get to grips with Sam's revelation from Chapter 3.

Progress is progressing, but unfortunately I have to be away from my production machine for a week or two (job stuff). However, I have some time off after that, so hopefully I'll make some time up.

In other Chapter 4 news, you all know an apocalypse is a bad place, right? Right.

Kulman

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2017

Update

Revenge is sweet they say. Or best served cold. Whatever, You'll find out in the next update as you get to grips with Sam's revelation from Chapter 3.

Progress is progressing, but unfortunately I have to be away from my production machine for a week or two (job stuff). However, I have some time off after that, so hopefully I'll make some time up.

In other Chapter 4 news, you all know an apocalypse is a bad place, right? Right.
Judging by that preview pic it does not seem like a bad place at all.

4.60 star(s) 87 Votes