Kinetic novela is a good idea?

XartusStudio

Enchanting lewd
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2021
Hey!

I wonder if the choices (Which in most games are theoretical) are that important. Many games tell one story, especially if the bochater is heavily outlined. True, in most AVNs the MC is a blank slate. But to the topic at hand. Can a kinetic novel be any good?

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
There is nothing wrong with kinetic novels. It allows focus on the story. The first two VN's I made are pretty much kinetic (they have some choices that influence the game a little but I'd call them kinetic).
I think a lot of devs default to sandbox game because other devs are doing sandbox games. Most stories and games do not benefit from the sandbox style and actively hurt themselves from that poor decision.

So if your story is best told through a kinetic style than go for it.

• Red Heart
Reactions: XartusStudio

arnii

Massive Member
Game Developer
Feb 23, 2020
There is nothing wrong with kinetic novels. It allows focus on the story. The first two VN's I made are pretty much kinetic (they have some choices that influence the game a little but I'd call them kinetic).
I think a lot of devs default to sandbox game because other devs are doing sandbox games. Most stories and games do not benefit from the sandbox style and actively hurt themselves from that poor decision.

So if your story is best told through a kinetic style than go for it.
I agree. My first three games were basically kinetic novels with a few interactive elements. Then I tried to do a game with lots of choices. If I had done this game first I probably would have given up as it was painful from a development side, and also feedback was less positive overall. I think in general, my audience seems to like a relatively restricted storyline.

hiya02

Oct 14, 2019
Hmm... personally I find the traditional KNs rather dull and boring as they lack interaction. I'd rather go and watch a video than spend time endlessly clicking :cautious::confused::cautious::confused::cautious::censored:

• Red Heart
Reactions: XartusStudio

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Like others have said. I think a lot of novels here are kinetic they just say otherwise. Branching narratives require multiple ends or at least multiple paths of content. If you simply branch out and then bring yourself in, depending on how far you branch out, it feels and looks more like a kinetic novel then a branching novel. Sort of like a kinetic novel with flavor.

With that being said, of course it can be done. There are audiences for everything. Whether you want to be upfront about the narrative design or simply let the player figure it out would be up to you. Kinetic is a lot more straightforward in the design and art departments so that's great if you're solo.