VN - Others - Abandoned - King of Round Pass [v0.1] [Wheelies]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs... The version this review is based on is v0.1...

For being listed as a black comedy, I've not really run into any comedy at all, as the entire introduction and the game play seems to include nothing but seriousness and drama... Plus, this is yet another in a very long line of over used Family Sex themed games, with the only originality being that it appears like a tactical adventure game with some erotic scenes...

The visuals of the characters are all 2D hand drawn of average quality... The backdrops are also 2D hand drawn, but look better then the characters... I'm not a fan of the navigation with a bazillion rooms and floors to move through one by one... Because the nature of this being sort of a grindy adventure game, with tactical elements, taking that much time to room shift each game day will become very tedious in the long haul... I'ld suggest some quick travel buttons or a quick travel map, at least for inside the castle...

The script is fairly good, as I only ran into a few spelling/grammar errors here and then... In addition, the chosen protagonist name sometimes is missing a space between it and the associated text, during the intro... The plot revolves around a male protagonist as the new king of a small island of people, mostly including family members... The game does have a decent tutorial for some of what seems to be tactical elements of the game...

The game play is basically navigating the castle and outside locations, working on various stats, relationship points, and daily tactical decisions... There are some erotic pictures now and then, depending on time of the day, location, and relationship status... It's almost like this is 3 games in one... An erotic adventure game, a tactical simulator, and corruption game rolled into one... At first it seems highly complex, with a ton of places to go, a bunch of various characters to work on relationships with, realm tactics, resource management, and the list goes on... Some elements are easier to tackle them others... It seems as though the developers are taking on a monumental task with this game...

The description claims this is an adult/black comedy... Which supposes that there will be dark elements as well as comedy mixed together... Honestly, I barely saw any comedic elements at all, beyond a few clickable items with slightly comical descriptions... The whole introduction takes on a very serious and dramatic fervor, with no comedy at all... It wasn't even that dark... Just your basic war, king builds huge kingdom, everyone rebels, king dies, family forced back to original home, protagonist brought back to life, still at war, protagonist crowned king, and now play...

There are several cases of what appear to be bugs as well... Like when selecting between the two warriors, only the Dwarf works... The other button just freezes up and does nothing... And when going to the twin sisters room at night, you just get a black screen... During the tutorial for the war map, the grandma picture flashes in and out of existence very fast, during her part of the tutorial, after each click... If there is a different choice along with the Goblin choice during the intro, then it isn't showing, as it feels weird to just have only one button to click, when the Goblin choice appears...

Overall, this looks like a promising and complex game, with so much going on... Not sure if it's just window dressing for the erotic stuff, or if the erotic stuff is just thrown in as a small element in a much larger game system? Plus, if this is meant to be a black comedy (aka dark comedy) then I'm not seeing a whole lot of humor so far... Let alone black comedy... The rooms look amazing, but the characters look a bit too amateur in comparison to the backdrops... They are not bad, but they are not great either...

This game appears to be very early into it's production, with a very aggressive production schedule to be done by the end of this year... With the complexity this game teases to have going on, I'm not sure that is a viable goal date... I guess it depends on the developer team's man power, time available, resources, and pure devotion to this things development... Only time will tell... I might revisit it later on, just to see how it's getting along...