Know how to code, dont know how to art

pewdiepie12

Mar 10, 2018
Well i know how to code videogames (Been using unity for a while) and i wanted for a long time to make a VN but since most of the time people only care about the models or sprites that made me feeling that i could never make a succesfull VN. But now after so long i decided to take a shot at it, but here are my doubts.

After seeing a lot of different programs to make predefined models, i want to use Koikatu, but i dont know how difficut it is to create characters in there and do the animations. Do you guys know? or maybe do you recommend something like honey select? , also i know the basics of how animations work and i have done a couple before (just not humanoid stuff)

The other one which is less concerning is that , people prefer Renpy over something like Unity? I have seen more games on renpy and have read that is because is easier to code there but i dont know about the experience of developers or users that have tried both and which one they preferred without counting that one is easier to code with. I have seen that most renpy VN have the same UI (so i dont have to make one at the start hehe~) and thats al least a point for renpy but i know unity gives you more freedom about game mechanics and stuff.

I would love to hear what you guys think and sorry if i made some typos , english is not my first language :3

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Renpy is like a python template for VN. So basically it's as if you get unity and load a VN template.
A difference is that Renpy is not compiled like unity (the exe is compiled, but nothing else), it means it's much easier to edit/patch/make mods for, etc.
Another difference is that Renpy is lighter on the cpu as well.

Now for a major difference, Renpy has no 3d capability (without heavilly moding it) but unity has, so you can add 3d elements/effects much easier in your VN. Renpy is a very specific tool aimed at VN only, while unity can do VNs as well as anything else really, VR included.

As for the art, well, I've never really used Koikatu or Honey Select, but hopefully someone can tell you about those. I use daz3d mostly. More than happy to help with that.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Luderos

Game Developer
Jul 20, 2020
As someone currently working on a project in Unity, I would recommend staying FAR away from it if you want to build a VN. Renpy is what users expect for a VN, so using Unity would be taking on FAR more work for what very likely turns out to be a worse result. Only go for Unity/Unreal if you need to build something with realtime-3D gameplay.

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
I say, use the programming language that u are comfortable with.
the importance is the assets that u gonna use, the engine itself is of less importance as people will mostly review the models, story, animations, render quality, writing and fetishes. the engine is after that, not before.

if I where to start, and I want to use a real-time 3D engine, like HS/Koikatu etc. I would look for the latest and the one with the best quality (of course that has decensor patch, if theres a way to export and how easy it is to customize and operate)
so, I would not pick Koikatu as the first choice. I would first look around, compare, read reviews, etc before I decide what to take.

Reactions: pewdiepie12

Lewdpanda95

Sep 9, 2018
Users tend to like Renpy more because the handling is familiar to them and it has all the basic functionality for a VN. Some games made in other engines just fail to implement those which leaves a sour taste.
Personally I tend to rather playtest VNs/games in general if they are made in Unity/Unreal because I think the dev likely is going to implement more gameplay. If you don't want to add gameplay Renpy seems the best option tbh.

There's tools for making Visual Novels in Unity in the asset store. You'd save a lot of work by not needing to program the basic functionality of a VN and keep the freedom to add functionality as you like. One I particularly liked is . I got a earlier version of it for free from some pirate site, but I can't find it anymore. It's just as easy to use as Renpy imo.

As for art, learning Daz Studio is quite easy and as far as I can tell people prefer this more realistic artstyle.

Reactions: pewdiepie12

pewdiepie12

Mar 10, 2018
Thank you all for the curretn feedback, i think i will use renpy to make my life easier and the users as well. But i will still check out the tool to make VNs in Unity just for curiosity (and maybe make a VN there who knows)

About the art well i still not sure which one to use, i will take the advice and do my research to which one is better suited for my VN. Still if someone has used Koikatu or HS i will gladly hear (or read duh) what you have to say, most of the time i have seen people go with Daz3d but still is good to have options and if you know about any other popular and accesible software to make 3d models

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
I say:
if story heavy and u want to be able to make many renders without fucking your gpu, use HS/Koikatu or any other similar engine.
theres a few really good games that uses that, that have many pictures (they also do post-work, using graphic tools to enchant the quality). but you need to add animation here, and 1000 picture a update is normal if u want to keep it up and be on top levels.

if the idea is to make small games, small chapters (ntrgames and Sneaky Bastard and two devs that makes games like that)
u need DAZ, the quality is important since they make small stories that focus on eroticism and sex.

sure, u can use DAZ "and" a big story with multiple characters and branches. but look around, those games takes years to complete and not many succeed. tons of abandoned projects.