Kod JdMod Help Installing

Vito Escalleta

Nov 7, 2019
So i just downloaded the game and the mod did as asked put the jdmod and the installer files out of the game folder
installed python downloaded bonus scenes and shit it was done i ran the bat files
it said stories doesn't exist i ran unren in bonus scenes and outside and it said it did not locate python and are you sure this is the game directory
so i moved it to the Kod-pc folder ran it it worked then the orginal non-unren i ran that as well but stories doesn't exist i thought hey maybe it's done
so i ran the game pressed shift+o it didn't work what should i do????

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
installed python [...]
Why ? The mod installation is clearly over complicated and a real mess, but at no time I see a step telling you to install Python.

it said stories doesn't exist
What was to expect.

i ran unren in bonus scenes and outside and it said it did not locate python and are you sure this is the game directory
Those aren't the game directories, therefore once again it was to expect that it wouldn't works.

Ask the author of the mod to learn how to make proper mods that can be installed by just putting the content of the archive into the "[path to the game]/game" directory, like (almost) all other mods for Ren'py games.

There's absolutely no reason to distribute the mod's images as rpa file then to unren them. Either he distribute them as regular files, or he name the RPA archive correctly for its content to replace the original images.
It also wouldn't be necessary to merges the mod directories with the game ones, nor even to overwrite any existing file, if the mod was made correctly. But even then, it could be done automatically when uncompressing the mod archive.

It's mods installation should only have two steps:
  • Make a backup of the "[path to the game]/game" directory ;
  • Extract the content of the mod into the "[path to the game]/game" directory, and answer "yes" is asked to overwrite a file.

Vito Escalleta

Nov 7, 2019
Why ? The mod installation is clearly over complicated and a real mess, but at no time I see a step telling you to install Python.

What was to expect.

Those aren't the game directories, therefore once again it was to expect that it wouldn't works.

Ask the author of the mod to learn how to make proper mods that can be installed by just putting the content of the archive into the "[path to the game]/game" directory, like (almost) all other mods for Ren'py games.

There's absolutely no reason to distribute the mod's images as rpa file then to unren them. Either he distribute them as regular files, or he name the RPA archive correctly for its content to replace the original images.
It also wouldn't be necessary to merges the mod directories with the game ones, nor even to overwrite any existing file, if the mod was made correctly. But even then, it could be done automatically when uncompressing the mod archive.

• Extract the content of the mod into the "[path to the game]/game" directory, and answer "yes" is asked to overwrite a file.
well the installation for random guy's kod jdmod installer was followed i even reinstalled the game just to be sure
i'm really not understanding what is wrong cause i don't understand alot of things
but i gave it up instead i used sam's unren to activate console so that was enough for me btw i hope this helps anyone in need thanks!

JohnDupont

Modder
May 26, 2017
So i just downloaded the game and the mod did as asked put the jdmod and the installer files out of the game folder
installed python downloaded bonus scenes and shit it was done i ran the bat files
it said stories doesn't exist i ran unren in bonus scenes and outside and it said it did not locate python and are you sure this is the game directory
so i moved it to the Kod-pc folder ran it it worked then the orginal non-unren i ran that as well but stories doesn't exist i thought hey maybe it's done
If you want answer, you shoudl either tag me directly or post in the mod's thread.

What was to expect.

Hi Ann,

You've always been of great help but I think you're mistaken. The mod has 2 features:
  • Unlock the gallery ;
  • Merge the base game with the official game bonuses released as standalone.
Therefore, I need to correct two of your points:
  • Python doesn't need to be installed for the installation ;
  • The images aren't mine, they are from the game bonuses by Hreinn Games. I won't release them as part of the mod.
It's clear I need to change the instructions for those who only want to unlock the gallery. I'm open to your suggestions.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
  • Python doesn't need to be installed for the installation ;
It's what I said, I really don't know from where he got that he needed to install it.

It's clear I need to change the instructions for those who only want to unlock the gallery. I'm open to your suggestions.
It's been a long time since, and I don't really have the time to again look at the mod right now, but you don't need to extract the files to merge them ; at least not all.

By default:
Ren'Py proceed the script files by alphabetical order, and always keep the last 'version' of a defined label. Therefore to merge the scripts, the only thing you've to do is ensure that the ones from the bonus will be proceeded last. For the images it's more or less the same, Ren'Py giving priority to the images out of an RPA archive.

I'm don't really remember right now if the RPA archive name play a role when loading the scripts and the images, but it worth giving it a try. If it play a role, you just have to add a leading "z" to the RPA files from the bonus, to make them be proceeded last, and the merging will be automatic.
If it don't, distribute the images out of their RPA archive (keeping the directory structure), same for the scripts except that you've to put them in a "game/z" folder (and keep or not the directory structure).

Normally this should be enough to do the merging, and it would simplify the mod installation ; globally speaking, "extract the content of the archive in the folder named 'game'" would then be all you need to explain.

Reactions: JohnDupont