Koikatsu or Honey select?

WaterMokou

Jul 1, 2018
My friend and I are making a game with world building,main story progression but also focuses on the girls' personalities and story, my question is as I've written in the title, Which of the two are better? At first i thought of using honey select from the start because it's much more popular and widely used than koikatsu, I thought that it's because people wanted the more 3d-oriented style rather than the anime style koikatsu have but there has been increasing koikatsu games recently and there's a very popular one right now called Corrupted Kingdoms and that made me rethink on my decision of using honey select.

master_x_2k

Jan 16, 2018
One of the reasons Koikatsu is getting more use is that it's been getting more and more usability. Skin overlays allowed a lot of customization, but not there's material edition that lets you pretty much do anything. Just look at Koikatsu models in Pixiv and you'll see how good that game can look.

TOASTER_JACK

Game Developer
Apr 17, 2018
You should go for whatever you prefer, and whatever fits your "art style" i suppose.

Both of them are good enough to make a decent game/vn it'll just depend on you afterward for content ;)

Reactions: 4rn4ld0

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
I say, use whatever software you want.

Koikatsu had got more usability over the time which explains why there are more games.

But tbh Koi games can be counted with your fingers.
As much as Honey select has been used a lot over the past month / years it's still a good software.

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
IMO, apart from art style, there's no real difference once you advance enough to rely on Joan's plugins and VNGE for almost everything. And using those tools is kinda inevitable if you want to have decent-looking renders. So go with the look you prefer, and learn to use all the tools that awesome modder dudes have given us.