georgetakei

May 8, 2017
An errors.txt or traceback.txt file (or worst case scenario, if it isnt generating either of those files, log.txt) will be necessary to help diagnose your problem. It will be found in the game directory, next to Lab_Rats_2.exe.

Just saying it doesnt run is like telling an auto-mechanic over the phone that your car won't start. There's so many things that could be the problem, it would be impossible to guess.

In short: need more info. Copy/pasting the contents of any one of those files (or attaching the txt file itself) is the first step to a better fapping experience. Traceback is best, errors is good too. Log is last resort.
You're right. I just assumed(hoped) it was a common and solved issue, cause i've neved had any problems with repy games before. . There's just a log.txt :(

Trollden

Aug 8, 2017
You're right. I just assumed(hoped) it was a common and solved issue, cause i've neved had any problems with repy games before. . There's just a log.txt :(
From Googling a bit it seems to be related to your video card drivers and RenPy changing window size.
You could try disabling the pre- splash and see if that solves it or update your video card drivers.

Comment out / remove line 263 in bootstrap.py and it'll not pop up the fullscreen splash image before showing the smaller window.
Then again, the issue could lie elsewhere, but since the error log references bootstrap and screen stuff it might be related.
Attaching the bootstrap.py if you want to just throw it into the RenPy folder instead of make the edit yourself.
(It might not solve anything).

ParadigmShift

Mar 4, 2019
Hmmmm.....if there's no traceback or error.txt, that tells me that the issue lies with the renpy runtime, that renpy itself is crashing before it even gets to the actual game files. Also, the log.txt ends abruptly which I find most interesting
Texture testing:
- Hardware max texture size: 16384
- 64px textures work.
- 128px textures work.
- 256px textures work.
- 512px textures work.
- 1024px textur
Best advice I can give is verify you downloaded the most current version (0.17.1) from a trusted source. is best, and you can generally trust the links on the first page of the thread. Try wiping the game out and redownloading from a trusted source. If the unmodded game still doesnt launch, I'm not sure there's much more I can do to help, not without some kind of error message to work with.

The quoted post below (located on page 88. Remember kids, only you can prevent money grubbing leeches) is NOT a trusted source. It's 3rd party attempting to direct traffic to unapproved download mirrors that will generate income for the referring website.
Hi Guys! Version 0.17.1:

Last edited:

ParadigmShift

Mar 4, 2019
From Googling a bit it seems to be related to your video card drivers and RenPy changing window size.
You could try disabling the pre- splash and see if that solves it or update your video card drivers.

Comment out / remove line 263 in bootstrap.py and it'll not pop up the fullscreen splash image before showing the smaller window.
Then again, the issue could lie elsewhere, but since the error log references bootstrap and screen stuff it might be related.
Attaching the bootstrap.py if you want to just throw it into the RenPy folder instead of make the edit yourself.
(It might not solve anything).
There's no actual error in the log actually. Its a pretty standard startup log for renpy. Mine looks pretty much the same, though I'm on an Nvidia card vs he's on ATI, so the extensions loaded differ. The only thing thats unusual about the startup log is the abrupt end during the texture testing.

Other than that, I agree that the issue seems graphical in nature. Renpy's documentation gives a couple options to attempt to address graphical issues.

A small fraction of systems may experience problems when running hardware accelerated Ren'Py games. These problems are often due to buggy graphics drivers, and so your first step to fixing them should be to check for an update to your graphics card drivers.

If upgrading your video drivers does not fix the problem, you should consider switching video renderers, using the following steps.

1. Hold down Shift while starting Ren'Py, or press Shift+G once Ren'Py has started.
  2. From the "Graphics Acceleration" menu that appears, choose the renderer to use.
  3. Choose "Quit", then restart Ren'Py.
Holding Shift while launching might work, but renpy may be crashing before it even gets to that point, though the log would indicate that it is at least getting to the renderer ("Using gl renderer") before crashing abruptly. So perhaps changing renderer away form GL to something like directx (or software, bypassing the graphics card completely, but will have a definite negative effect on performance) might work.

A blanket solution would be to try downloading the and drop the entire Lab_Rats_2-v0.17.1-pc directory into the renpy-7.2.2-sdk directory, and attempt launching the project from there. Its a more recent version of renpy than what the game is built on that might fix your issue, but honestly its a shot in the dark.

Last edited:
Reactions: georgetakei

georgetakei

May 8, 2017
Holding Shift while launching might work, but renpy may be crashing before it even gets to that point, though the log would indicate that it is at least getting to the renderer ("Using gl renderer") before crashing abruptly. So perhaps changing renderer away form GL to something like directx (or software, bypassing the graphics card completely, but will have a definite affect on performance) might work.
Thank You! It did work! Changed the render to directx instead of openGL fixed it!

Thanks again.. i wasn't aware of the shift holding thing. :) welp. onto the game..

ParadigmShift

Mar 4, 2019
Thank You! It did work! Changed the render to directx instead of openGL fixed it!

Thanks again.. i wasn't aware of the shift holding thing. :) welp. onto the game..
I wasn't aware of the Shift trick either for renpy until I started doing some research. (The More You Know! (y))

A driver update may solve the issue then. I couldnt find an indepth breakdown for your driver version (4.5.13492 Compatibility Profile Context 22.19.677.257) nor am I aware of what the current up-to-date driver version is (Im an NVidia man), but I did find a breakdown for some of the prior driver versions.

If anything, it shows that ATI drivers have a history of....we'll call it spotty support for specific OpenGL extensions. For all I know, your current driver version may not support one of the extensions being used, or it might not support Non-Power-of-Two (NPOT) textures (you're more likely to win the lotto than this being the case. NPOT is part of the Open GL2.0 standard for over 15 years) . All information I can find however says the r7 series cards should support up to OpenGL 4.5 (renpy is 2.0) so..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can add this to the list of reasons why I am an Nvidia man. OpenGL 2.0 and NPOT are standards that are almost 15 years old at this point. GG AMD.
AMD - Supporting OpenGL (except when it doesnt)

Idk. Glad we could get you sorted. Happy Fapping.

Last edited:

elhombre

Jun 6, 2017
Dont blame ati on this. His driver is OBSOLETE, how much is old.
Drivers comes and goes .. hardware remains. :)

ere's my oGL log with ati

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: toolkitxx

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
Do try and keep the discussion about the game (issues and the like included), and not fire insults like petulant children throwing a tantrum.

Please and thanks.

~ Eoin ~

sinrtb

Nov 4, 2017
Add below the frame at line 4862 in script.rpy. Screen name is `screen employee_overview`
Code:
viewport:
    draggable True #Make it so you can drag it by holding down the mouse
    mousewheel True # Make so you can scroll it with the mousewheel
    scrollbars "vertical" # Adds a scrollbar if you want, not nescessary.
Then make the grid's indentation be below the viewport so that the result is this:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thank you!!

Foobert

Oct 16, 2017
So by using a serum you change the obedience limit temporarily but the recipients brain still recalls where they came from before the serum unless you do something to them that would convert temporary values into base ones. So using it on someone who isnt very much into submissive stuff will most probably rebounce down to the original values or even worse.
The problem is that most of the serum traits have a temporary buff with a medium value, combined with a permanent debuff to something else. And the latest version of the game seems to like to apply those permanent debuffs on a per-turn basis, thus penalizing the player for making long lasting serum.

On top of that, the methods for raising things like obedience seem to work just the same with or without the temp bonuses, which makes me wonder what on earth we're supposed to use them for.

Reactions: Darkaura

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
The problem is that most of the serum traits have a temporary buff with a medium value, combined with a permanent debuff to something else. And the latest version of the game seems to like to apply those permanent debuffs on a per-turn basis, thus penalizing the player for making long lasting serum.

On top of that, the methods for raising things like obedience seem to work just the same with or without the temp bonuses, which makes me wonder what on earth we're supposed to use them for.
The later changes he made introduced the 'mastery' mechanic. By continuous research into the different bits of a serum you can thus eliminate many of the side effects.
I havnt been playing with it a lot lately but i do recall that choosing certain actions raised obedience at the cost of happiness. So by planning out your actions carefully you could raise obedience with pile driver or against the wall etc. Those changes where mostly permanent as long as you took care of re-establishing enough happiness later on.

The Grifter

May 28, 2017
Sorry for having a mod related question again... would it be possible to export/import npc's? To keep those compatible, maybe only the base parameters that are part of the unmodded vanilla game, excluding fetishes?
I admit I got a little... careless with messing around with the serum stats (apparently the game doesn't like a serum with 18 slots, who'd have thought?) located in the game saves, so I'll start a fresh playtrhu, and was wondering if there's a way to do this similar to clothing?

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Tried it again in the hopes of it having become more stable. But nope.

You still dont get what to do. The whole game is complicated with no explanation whatsoever to why or how you need to do anything. Cant believe he went from lab rats 1 to this piece of junk.
Dont get your hopes up for that to be fixed.

The developer doesnt want to make a good game, just to practice how to make a micromanagement game while cashing out on the fame that Lab Rats 1, a game that was far superior and opposite to this one, gave him.

This game is trash, and the developer knows it, its just a paid practice tool

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Dont get your hopes up for that to be fixed.

The developer doesnt want to make a good game, just to practice how to make a micromanagement game while cashing out on the fame that Lab Rats 1, a game that was far superior and opposite to this one, gave him.

This game is trash, and the developer knows it, its just a paid practice tool
While you are of course entitled to your opinion about the quality etc you have one thing very wrong: Vren never took money for either. He publishes all of them openly and for free with Patreons basically being the alpha/beta-testers before making the final version public. They are fully aware that they support HIM and not a game ;)

Hermenegild

Sep 18, 2017
Sometimes, when I try to seduce the aunt, all sex options besides kissing disappear from the menu. They're not greyed like when blocked by clothing, they're simply not there. My screen looks like on the screenshot below. Has anybody encountered this issue? Any ideas why this happens?

Lazarus37

Jan 25, 2018
Sometimes, when I try to seduce the aunt, all sex options besides kissing disappear from the menu. They're not greyed like when blocked by clothing, they're simply not there. My screen looks like on the screenshot below. Has anybody encountered this issue? Any ideas why this happens?
You can't have sex with her in the living room, but can in the bedroom.

Trollden

Aug 8, 2017

As above, you can't do it in her living room since there are no Objects that support other positions than kissing in it.
I'd consider that to be an oversight / error as the living room / hall in the player's apartment has two more objects allowing sex to proceed as normal there.
If you go into the room and open console, Shift+O then use these two lines it should add the minimum necessary objects for most sex positions.
Code:
mc.location.add_object(make_wall()) # It is a room so it should have walls.
mc.location.add_object(make_floor()) # Unless it is a bottom-less pit then a floor makes sense to have too.

Last edited:
3.40 star(s) 127 Votes