Laying out a contract for a development team

The M.O.

Nov 27, 2020
Has anyone here pursued the wording needed for a contract between team members? Some might say go to a solicitor, I don't see the point. It doesn't need to be bulletproof when all members are involved in waiting for their share. Some might say you don't need a contract at all. Well, I will be actively going after team members and if only on the off chance that one member insists on one, then I want this sorted and out of the way.

h0rnyc0der

Jun 3, 2020
contract law varies alot depending on where you and your team members live.
a solicitor is the way to go if you want a stress free solution. every lawyer specialized in contract law or employment law will have a contract blueprint for any kind of contract that will just need a little bit of modification, so it wont be very expensive either.
Even if you trust your team now, at one point there might be drama, people asking for more money, someone wanting to leave the team and demands to be paid out etc and then it will heavily backfire if you did not make a contract at the beginning.
just do it, you will not regret it.

Xanado

May 9, 2018
Getting everything straight before you start collaborating is a minimum requirement for starting a team, if you are getting into the "making money" range getting professional support can only help. It makes sure you are all working in the same direction and don't have fallouts due to trust issues.

Last edited:

The M.O.

Nov 27, 2020
The big thing I'm worried about is being able to sack them competently if I catch them not fulfilling work rate. I had a look, there are people out in San Diego that will do a contract for $99. :)

The M.O.

Nov 27, 2020
I'm going on a wild guess here but I'm guessing you see yourself as contributing the "ideas" and then hire the artist and coder?
More or less yes. I wonder will someone come along with the text of a contract we can all use. Does anyone hang around here with something that had enough potential to warrant a contract?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
If you're in the USA - just make sure whatever contract includes a "work for hire" section/clause.
Essentially that ensures that regardless of any other arrangements you come to - your game is YOUR game and none of the subcontractors can make any claims for either full or part ownership.

The M.O.

Nov 27, 2020
Firstly. Thanks to you My Stiale. Secondly, I must write these guys a nice letter. Amazing.