Legal issue

Rappax

Mar 19, 2018
I think there probably is a topic discussing this, but I´m gonna ask anyway. In how much of a trouble can i get for using DAZ paid stuff, which I masterfully acquired on this website ? You know what I´m talking about.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
It's like playing D&D, you could roll a decent score and get away with it or you could get a critical failure and regret it.

1 f95zone asset = 1 dice roll

Rappax

Mar 19, 2018
It's like playing D&D, you could roll a decent score and get away with it or you could get a critical failure and regret it.

1 f95zone asset = 1 dice roll
I was always a fan of D&D.... Well, but I´m talking about using it for a project on Patreon. I´m planning to buy all the stuff, if I´m going to start making any cash. But you know. I´m not really happy about spending 400$ on assets not knowing if even a 1 comes back.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
My point is that it will always be a risk, safest way to not get a bad result is to not roll the dice.

If you want to go with the safe route, use placeholders and let people know that their support will improve the quality as you will slowly replace them.
There is a lot of free stuff (https://f95zone.to/threads/free-stuff-for-daz-3d.22194/) plus you can also import models from external programs which means even more free stuff not related strictly to DAZ3D.

Making a game with free assets, even temporarily, is hard but doable.

Rappax

Mar 19, 2018
My point is that it will always be a risk, safest way to not get a bad result is to not roll the dice.

If you want to go with the safe route, use placeholders and let people know that their support will improve the quality as you will slowly replace them.
There is a lot of free stuff (https://f95zone.to/threads/free-stuff-for-daz-3d.22194/) plus you can also import models from external programs which means even more free stuff not related strictly to DAZ3D.

Making a game with free assets, even temporarily, is hard but doable.
Thanks for the advice. One thing to say to this is that in the sea of "quality" content there is no way to succeed with a low quality content. Noone would even look into it. Probably I´m wrong I know. Make a story that would attract people and the word gets around. But making a game from free content, and then making a complete visual overhaul is a massive task not worthy of a single man. Thanks for the help anyway.

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
Thanks for the advice. One thing to say to this is that in the sea of "quality" content there is no way to succeed with a low quality content. Noone would even look into it. Probably I´m wrong I know. Make a story that would attract people and the word gets around. But making a game from free content, and then making a complete visual overhaul is a massive task not worthy of a single man. Thanks for the help anyway.
Have you thought of using https://f95zone.to/threads/honey-select-illusion.1317/ instead? I have been informed that there are no legal issues to worry about.

Reactions: Rappax

215303j

How would someone found out if you have bought all assets or not?

Rappax

Mar 19, 2018
I think daz actually works with a online license system. With the IP adress of the account, you can compare it to the DAZ store account and there you go. Maybe I´m mistaken and you can rely on that nobody will dig deep enough to find that. But the question is if it´s worth the try.

215303j

I think daz actually works with a online license system. With the IP adress of the account, you can compare it to the DAZ store account and there you go. Maybe I´m mistaken and you can rely on that nobody will dig deep enough to find that. But the question is if it´s worth the try.
Even *if* Daz can see that you have pirated assets installed, Daz is not (e.g.) Patreon.
And why would you use actual personal data to register Daz if you don't intend to use it in a fully legal manner?
Then the only possible real ID tracker becomes your IP, but that's easy enough to hide, e.g. with a VPN.

In the end product, you have a picture, .png / .jpg whatever, so I think it's technically impossible to *prove* that you have actually used any known Daz asset. You could theoretically just as well have drawn the picture by hand.

Rappax

Mar 19, 2018
Even *if* Daz can see that you have pirated assets installed, Daz is not (e.g.) Patreon.
And why would you use actual personal data to register Daz if you don't intend to use it in a fully legal manner?
Then the only possible real ID tracker becomes your IP, but that's easy enough to hide, e.g. with a VPN.

In the end product, you have a picture, .png / .jpg whatever, so I think it's technically impossible to *prove* that you have actually used any known Daz asset. You could theoretically just as well have drawn the picture by hand.
Thanks ;)

OhJo

Feb 20, 2019
I have been wondering about this too. Daz doesn't appear to be less functional if used in offline mode, and doesn't dial home when rendering. To ex post identify pirated content would require Daz to scour every image rendered, identify the used models despite morphs, poses etc, and THEN verifiably identify you, the creator, and your various licenses..

I suspect this is to Daz what we used to consider 'disappearing stock' when I worked in the secretary's office a few years back. IT dept stole a ton of stuff, but that was 'expected behaviour' that central accounted for in the budget.. crazy, but according to the CFO, the cost of changing the behaviour of the IT dept didn't measure up against the (he said) 'little' they actually took home. Different perspectives, I guess. Or maybe he was just as thiev-y. :p

215303j

Different perspectives, I guess.
He's right, it's a matter of importance.
Spending a lot of time, money and energy in something that you cannot fight anyway? Or just accept it?
I assume that the IT guys you mention were just using company supplied DVD's / USB sticks etc. at home, and not selling new laptops at the backdoor.

The interesting thing is how much the industry has cracked down on torrenting movies and games.
But I suspect that, too, is more of a fear based campaign rather than that small-time downloaders are actually at risk of getting fined.

In legal matters, the question is often, does (dispute x) actually warrant the costs of legal proceedings? What are the gains compared to the losses? What is the likelyhood of actually winning the case?

Reactions: Rappax and OhJo

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I think there probably is a topic discussing this, but I´m gonna ask anyway. In how much of a trouble can i get for using DAZ paid stuff, which I masterfully acquired on this website ? You know what I´m talking about.

There are 3D/Poser/Daz user groups, where the members list what assets they have license to. Members collaborate on projects, so they don't need to purchase 30000 licenses each.

Also check the asset's readme before purchasing, many are open source to begin with. People take free assets and "convert" them for use in Daz Studio. They "charge" for the service that they provide, but the asset itself is still open-source... and you can convert it yourself.

Daz characters were originally fully clothed. Some ingenious hackers removed the clothing.