legality of posting a full game with the translation

ANON-IDK

Dec 28, 2020
I don't think I have a way to just post a translation patch of rpg maker game, so is it legal to post the full game with the translation?

Oct 26, 2017
As far as I can tell, as long as the game itself is within the rules and is not do-not-post material, F95 won't exactly mind, if that's what you mean. :)

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
From a legal point of view... no it isn't legal, be aware that translations are a derivative right under the rights of the product you are translating. Releasing a game with a translation it is illegal by all means.

Now, having said that, a translation of a game if it doesn't contain anything else than the files translated should fall under the mod category, so releasing a translation isn't illegal, albeit it has no ownership rights unless it was consented by the owner of the game translated.

So basically:

-No consent from author = no ownership over the translation
-Consent = Ownership right of the translation exists
-releasing only the translation: No legal problems cause it falls under the "mod" category (it only works on games, other things such as books, articles... is illegal to do that).
-Releasing game with translation: It's illegal.

Having said that unless they can identify who did it there is no action for those acts thought

ANON-IDK

Dec 28, 2020
has anyone on this website got in trouble for posting a game that they translated. I heard on a legal website that it counts as fair use possibly to translate and post roms but it was also saying that it is debatable because their is not enough legal standard for that

Oct 26, 2017
OWNAGE123 Tripleposting has a higher chance of getting you in trouble on F95 than pirating games. I mean, it is a piracy website. :)

If OP really meant the legal aspects, then more or less what DawnCry said, with some subtle additions. Either way, it's indeed illegal, but still completely fine to post here if that's what you are worried about. Just make sure it's fine with F95 rules and you're good.

If you wish to be polite (and the developer isn't a cunt), you can also contact them and tell them about this. I obviously don't recommend this unless you personally know the developer or have been dealing with them for a long time. That technically counts as free advertising, and a good bunch of open-minded developers who aren't bound to a license won't mind you expanding their audience, even if the translation is terrible. :)