Legality of using other peoples Blender Models

Shaddy

Jul 19, 2017
I was actually curious about how this would work... if I were to make pictures and distribute them on the internet, and have a patreon on the side(as a type of pocket change), would that be legal and fine? Or do I have to make my own models?

EG: I render a picture with Model, and post it online for free for everyone to see, and have a patreon on the side... Is it Legal or no?

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
Depends on the license. That particular model is " " It is sort of a grey area but with a patreon directed towards funding the game, or by using the model to promote the patreon through renders, you could potentially technically be liable for violating the license.

That being said, the risk is probably pretty low, especially with that model in particular.

Last edited:

SirSpitz

Aug 22, 2020
Well what of "real" peoples image.... there is enough talent out there where someone could use a famous person's likeness and do some really interesting things with it.

But as to the question put forward, wouldn't it mostly depend on the tools in which the image was created with? Say a software has a limited number of possible combination where simular results are obtained by natural use. As to the more advanced programs available where that isn't the case, I would wonder if "terms of Service" agreements apply.

Sadly though, I don't see any copy write notices on either games or written text. My bet is that it would take a team of layers to brain nub us all to get the answers

radohak

Apr 15, 2019
That's CC-BY-NC i.e. you may use it as long as you:

1. Credit the author
2. Don't earn any money with it.
3. You can't distribute the model only (needs to be bundled in your app or whatever).

In your case, with this model used to support your Patreon, you are violating the license.

Reactions: mickydoo

Shaddy

Jul 19, 2017
That's CC-BY-NC i.e. you may use it as long as you:

1. Credit the author
2. Don't earn any money with it.
3. You can't distribute the model only (needs to be bundled in your app or whatever).

In your case, with this model used to support your Patreon, you are violating the license.
Even if the Picture is on the internet for free?

radohak

Apr 15, 2019
Even if the Picture is on the internet for free?
Yes! Consult with what I have posted:

1. That picture points out who is the author.
2. It's for free i.e. no commercial use.
3. It's a picture, not the model.