HTML Leidaria : UnderJail [Development Thread]

Purple Nurple08

May 17, 2024
Leidaria : Underjail is a text based, narratively driven rpg. And this is it's development thread!

Current state : working on demo

The main reason I'm making this thread is to show off some of the features for my upcoming release, I'm frankly, excited about some of them! I look forward to going more in depth on certain features, as well as developing more! But I want to emphasize I don't plan on expounding on anything that isn't already in the game.

Unfortunately visuals are not my strong suit, but here are some screenshots!

Screenshot 2024-06-08 200436.png Screenshot 2024-06-08 200657.png Screenshot 2024-06-08 200804.png Screenshot 2024-06-08 201112.png Screenshot 2024-06-08 202914.png Screenshot 2024-06-08 200916.png

Feyschek

Game Developer
Jun 12, 2021
Leidaria : Underjail is a text based, narratively driven rpg. And this is it's development thread!

Current state : working on demo

The main reason I'm making this thread is to show off some of the features for my upcoming release, I'm frankly, excited about some of them! I look forward to going more in depth on certain features, as well as developing more! But I want to emphasize I don't plan on expounding on anything that isn't already in the game.

Unfortunately visuals are not my strong suit, but here are some screenshots!

View attachment 3718443 View attachment 3718444 View attachment 3718445 View attachment 3718460 View attachment 3718475 View attachment 3718457
It's a pretty good design, but there's a problem.

Screenshot_2024-06-08_200916.png

Your buttons have different sizes, which makes a pretty good interface look a little strange.
Try to put these values in the meaning of these buttons in the style table and play with them.

max-width: 206px;

or

width: 206px;

The first one makes just the size of the button, the second one is a fixed size for all monitor sizes.
Which may be good for optimizing for all monitor resolutions.

I hope my advice will help you ;)

Purple Nurple08

May 17, 2024
It's a pretty good design, but there's a problem.

View attachment 3719206

Your buttons have different sizes, which makes a pretty good interface look a little strange.
Try to put these values in the meaning of these buttons in the style table and play with them.

max-width: 206px;

or

width: 206px;

The first one makes just the size of the button, the second one is a fixed size for all monitor sizes.
Which may be good for optimizing for all monitor resolutions.

I hope my advice will help you ;)
Thanks for the feedback! However these are actually nested buttons, so the freshen up and getting too comfortable buttons are within the active quests tab, and both the active quests and completed quests buttons are under the quests tab. It's probably a little more apparent in game as opposed to just a screenshot, but regardless I'm sure that there are a lot of improvements that my ui could use. So I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me!

Feyschek

Game Developer
Jun 12, 2021
Thanks for the feedback! However these are actually nested buttons, so the freshen up and getting too comfortable buttons are within the active quests tab, and both the active quests and completed quests buttons are under the quests tab. It's probably a little more apparent in game as opposed to just a screenshot, but regardless I'm sure that there are a lot of improvements that my ui could use. So I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me!
It's just that the background stands out there, which I would recommend removing and highlighting the presence of the quest in a separate color.

Screenshot_2024-06-08_200916.png

I also recommended making a small gap between them so that they are not too close to each other.
But in general, I really like the design.

By the way, I would highlight the menu button, the "Save" button and the "Back" button in bolder font using such a simple technique as this.

<h4></h4>

Just wrap these buttons in this code and that's it.

Purple Nurple08

May 17, 2024
past tense:
the figure asked
unfamiliar man turned up his nose

present tense:
the jailer pulls out...
Ah, I see. I think it should be fine, it's centered around the player's perspective, so they watch as the others did or said something, I think it makes sense that the player would be more immediately enthralled by the possibility of their release rather than other people's mannerisms so they would perceive and relay it more presently. But that being said, I haven't gone over the intro with a fine tooth comb yet, so it wouldn't surprise me if I had to adjust things. It's something to look out for, thanks!

Purple Nurple08

May 17, 2024
Tile map system :

One of the features that has already been implemented is the tile map system. I expect I will expand on it and improve it in the future, however in it's current state it is fully functional, with detection for whether or not the tile is travelable. It is also able to pull styling directly from the tile, to determine what it should look like. Additionally I can detect a basic description of the tile, which is currently allowing me to change descriptions and options available to the player dependent upon which tile they have traveled to. Movement is currently done by clicking on one of the four directional buttons besides the center most player marker.

It's reasonably simple, for the demo I plan to use only one rather small map, But as a core system I look forward to leveraging it more, and it should allow me to create more maps with relative ease.
View attachment tile map.mp4

Purple Nurple08

May 17, 2024
quest system :

Currently a quest system is in the game, I have to play around with it, to further develop the limits and how exactly I want to implement it going forward. But for the demo there should be at least two quests. The quests can have subquests that you can complete or potentially fail. And there is also a compendium implemented where you can check up on quests, and see ones you've already completed.

Purple Nurple08

May 17, 2024
Inventory system :

There is a tentative inventory system implemented. I'm frankly, still worried about it swallowing items, however you can move items around from one inventory to another. the inventories can have their own restraints about what is allowed to be moved to them, and you can create multiple move orders, and see if they are valid or not before moving them. There's a lot surrounding inventories and items that I still have hammer down, but for the demo it should be sufficient.
View attachment inventory showcase.mp4