Mod Ren'Py Lessons in Love Linear Mode Mod [v0.2] [crustlord12]

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
Overview:
As a very long running game with dozens of characters and a difficult to uncover sandbox plot, this mod will add a linear mode.
The linear mode will remove any sandbox elements, set all characters to very high affection and lust values, and removes the sandbox.
All events are played in order up to Lessons in Love 0.39.0.
There may be bugs or missing scenes due to the sheer number of events, so please comment if you find any missing or out of order.​

Updated: 23/01/2023
Game/Creator: Lessons in Love - Selebus - - - -
Modder: crustlord12
Mod Version: 0.2
Game Version: 0.39.0
Language: English

Features:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Change-Log:

TO-DO/Known Bugs:

Download:

Last edited:

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
Shame you can't make choices, but that'd be complex to implement so it's understandable.

Cool mod.
Thanks. So far, I think most choices should probably be respected? The main choices made in events should carry forward, but there will still be bugs, I'm sure.

There will definitely be times where certain events get called improperly, but eventually I'd like to have it set up so you can choose to be a good or bad homie, choose whether you want to have enough affection/lust for certain events to happen, etc. Just haven't gotten there yet because that will require more control flow and menuing, compared to just trying to sort the events to begin with.

I'll make sure to have choices added eventually, though. Proper linear mode.

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
Cool stuff! I have some questions or things to report after playtesting. Hope you don't mind me deliberately doing some unintended shit:

1. Event order itself. Sometimes I found that the order changed after reloading a save. As in, Event A to Event B becomes Event A to Event C after reloading a save, but B and C don't have strict chronological order between them. And sometimes, a certain event gets loaded way earlier than anticipated (I have an incidence where the mod loads Ami's visit to the grave, her 7th character event, before any of her events were done)

Edit: I think I found out how to trigger it. Reloading save or starting a new run will confuse the mod about "what has been done and what to load next"; for example, after skimming through 20 main events I decided to restart a run for some testing. And the mod decided to load Ami's grave visit as the first event even though this run literally hasn't done anything.

Similar thing happens even if you load the same file without saving your progress. My experience is that after going over some Sara events I decided to load my save and returned myself o a point prior to her events. Turns out her events were never loaded again because I guess the mod considered them already done?

2. I am curious how you handle minor dialogue paths due to different days in a week for example; just me wondering about technicality.

3. Most events are loaded and played without specifying which day in the week it's in, but at some point after choosing to play in linear mode the second or third time, SUNDAY is stuck at the upper left corner and the event playing now clearly isn't on Sunday. And at some point, two weekdays display on top of each other.

4. I am trying to see what'd happen if I turn down people like Sara, Haruka, or Ami when I am using the linear mod but I haven't gotten to my consequence yet. The flag-dependent dialogue paths proceed correctly, but will their lust events still get loaded under this circumstance?

5. Sometimes a part of the event already played is played again (ex: after Reset is finished, the next event mod loads is a certain part of Reset).

(to be continued...)

• Red Heart
Reactions: crustlord12

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
fdsasdf_p for the first part of 1, I haven't been able to really reproduce it - when you say "restarting a run" do you mean you just started a new game, got to the Linear menu screen, selected Linear, went through some events, back to main menu, and then started a new game again? It goes back to starting the game over for me, so I'm wondering if it's from a particular event.

I have managed to reproduce the second part of it, however, and I'm looking to fix it.

2 is a surprise! Because I also don't know how this will handle it yet! :ROFLMAO: I'll keep working on it and squashing bugs but I haven't even been able to run through more than the start of the game because I have had no time.

3 is a bug, I am just choosing to remove any semblance of what day it is for convenience's sake, but if I can find an easy way to display the day, I'll add it back.

For 4, see 2.

I will get back to 5, I haven't found anything that does it yet but I also haven't gotten to Reset yet either. edit: actually, I did just have the Linear mode choice pop up again, oddly enough. I've fixed that and will keep an eye out for more weird shit.

Thanks again for testing this!

Last edited:
Reactions: fdsasdf_p

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
for the first part of 1, I haven't been able to really reproduce it - when you say "restarting a run" do you mean you just started a new game, got to the Linear menu screen, selected Linear, went through some events, back to main menu, and then started a new game again? It goes back to starting the game over for me, so I'm wondering if it's from a particular event.
First and second part actually both mean the same thing, I just at the time didn't know what I was looking at and wasn't describing it correctly.

In essence: yes, restarting a run means going back to the menu, starting a new game, letting the first 5-6 events play out by itself, selecting LINEAR and letting it roll.

And I think you already reproduced some of the weird stuff, but just to summarize on my end of experience a little better: the mod doesn't quite recognize "the progress current run is". If I am done with 22 events using the mod in save1, chances are the next event loaded by the mod in save2 or in a new run will be event No.23, completely disregarding where you actually are in those saves. I can sometimes make it recognize but it's not consistent and I honestly don't know how I did it lol.

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
[This is me restarting a new run and pressing ctrl after making sure the very first few events the mod loaded look reasonable]
- Some girls' events aren't loaded while the main event progress is already quite far ahead. I am right now at 1st beach trip, and for some girls less than 3 of their character events have been played. Some examples of those that make it narratively weird are:
1. Reached Scientific Research without meeting Chinami first (at that point only 1 Chika event was loaded and played)
2. Reached Ayane's Prisoner before Backwards Spider Crawl
3. Reached the 1st beach trip without playing Ami's Back Out in the Heat, essentially the very in-story reason why beach trip becomes a thing.

Not sure if it's a different facet of the same bug I reported where the mod still gets confused about the progress.

Edit: also, another side effect of this is it leads to missing events! For example, not getting Miku's Night Vision before reset1 will make you miss the 5th happy event .

- I noticed that sometimes there is "ERROR IN ADVANCING TO [CERTAIN WEEKDAYS]" messages after an event is finished, and maybe it's because the mod isn't keeping track of day counts and/or the day parameter that represents weekdays? What happens after that is that a part of the same event that just finished is played again (happened to O World, and almost the entire first beach trip event chain), then it proceeds again.

Edit: also, if this happens when the world is broken it softlocks 1st reset because the requirement on the "day" for the escape option to appear cannot be met (before then I just used URM so I didn't even notice...lol). It didn't happen all the time but it did happen a few times.

Supposedly this can be fixed by including a "day +=1" or something?

Edit2: now I can confirm that the mod will keep looping the entire first beach trip event chain and essentially softlock even if I didn't go out of my way to do unintended stuff.

- Could not find label 'swimmingtrack' after Rin's Detention is done. I can continue after rolling back, but I am not sure what I missed.

- Aha! I think the dialogue itself does reflect on whether you reject a person or not, but some lust scenes will still be loaded regardless; for example I rejected Ami's advances and missed Walking On Air, but Wake Up Call is still played. It may have something to do with how these events are gated, whether it being simply a lust value or binary parameters like amifingered or sarasex.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
Oh, and whenever you get to the menu to choose between Linear and Sandbox, it turns out that saying yes to Sandbox will loop you back to the exact same menu and you can't progress whatsoever until you choose Linear (this happened as soon as I encounter the menu for the first time in a fresh run).

Props to you if you did this on purpose because it feels like what Selly would've done LOL for intentionally choosing the wrong answer.

Last edited:
  • Haha

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
Lmao, I wish. Definitely just a weird bug, I'm planning on getting more time into this mod soon. Also need to figure out how to upload it so that it doesn't disappear after a week

Reactions: fdsasdf_p

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
[0.2]
If you're up for a quick hotfix, Miku's Daytime Stalking Pass (her very first soccer field evet) keeps looping and getting loaded over and over.
(from a fresh run)