Lewd dreams scenes in games (Poll)

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
I made a poll at my patreon page about adding dream scenes in my game to see what people think about such scenes.
The poll is not only for the players of my game but the players of adult games in general.
(Note, non-sex dream scenes but very suggestive and lewd scenes)

Link:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm conflicted. It would have been someone else, I would have said "Noooooo !". Simply because they are mostly used to fill the lack of adult content in the early time of the game.
But it's you, and it change a lot of things. Whatever if it's to fill some blank in the early content, it will not be just a scene out of context and without real value. These dreams will probably reflect both the unconscious desire growing in MC's mind, and the way he perceive each character at this time ; this while being funny.
I must admit that I'm curious to discover how he imagine Luna when she's a little aroused. She surely is the kind of girl who will throw a lot of guns in the bed before hanging out, because she'll find this really arousing... then never stop complaining because, well, it's not at all comfortable :p

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
I am for it, so long as it doesn't take away from content elsewhere. We all have wet dreams, and it might just add a bit more depth and connection to the MC. Depending on how you do it, it could be a show of how far we've gotten with the girls and progress further with time. Maybe add an option to skip it? Your characters are so adorable (and you are so talented) that I can't see it going in a manner that people would dislike once they try it.

Reactions: HopesGaming

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
It's not something that will be very in-depth to start with. An image or two.
Also, it's an option before bed so no need for a skip button since it's avoidable.
This next update will be to test the waters.

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
Normally I don't like them. I'm not so desperate to fap that I need a sex scene within the first 5 minutes of a v0.01 and typically they occur much earlier than what feels natural to the story so its usually very obvious as soon as it starts that its a dream.

I think the one I hate the most is in F.I.L.F., not only does it occur before it feels natural to the story its literally the first scene of the game so you don't even know the characters and it just feels really dumb to me.

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
I think they are okay in general. It's a way to short circuit a game and get a little cheeky content in ahead of the main content. Yes, it's mostly done for players with short faptention spans. I think it's okay to sprinkle in a few minor bits like this to keep things spicy when you know the payoff of your game is a slow burn.

Some thoughts:
It should be less intense than the "real" content.
It should be used sparingly.
If possible, it should be incorporated into the story.

ijako3

Sep 6, 2017
I don't really feel anything when it comes to Dream lewd scenes, they have no real value for me and i usually skip them.

Some games do them too much so they start to feel like a boring filler, usually used in games with slow burn.

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
Normally I don't like them. I'm not so desperate to fap that I need a sex scene within the first 5 minutes of a v0.01 and typically they occur much earlier than what feels natural to the story so its usually very obvious as soon as it starts that its a dream.

I think the one I hate the most is in F.I.L.F., not only does it occur before it feels natural to the story its literally the first scene of the game so you don't even know the characters and it just feels really dumb to me.
An exception to this would be games that have a much more psychological bent to them. For example "Thinking About You" has a much more slow burn aspect to the relationship and IIRC has a dream sequence or two that actually makes a lot of sense thematically.

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
An exception to this would be games that have a much more psychological bent to them. For example "Thinking About You" has a much more slow burn aspect to the relationship and IIRC has a dream sequence or two that actually makes a lot of sense thematically.
Dreams of Desire was another good exception... But dreaming was one of the main focuses to the game...

There's been games that let you unlock "fantasies" about the others when showering or bathing, and I don't find them out of place, because it usually progresses along with the story.

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
IMO dreams are another tool to play around with. The tone you go for is as always really important, you can go for the "i know i'm dreaming, what the hell is going on" type of dream where the situation is deliberately out of step with the rest of the game and use as a little window onto the dreamers psychological state or go for an "almost real" sort of dream and use it as a tease for the player and have the dreamer wake before getting too far.

The first option is more interesting to me but is more time consuming and involved and tacking it onto a game even if the game is fine without may not be a great idea, the second option is cheaper in feel but far easier to justify in a game due to the limited nature of the dream.

If dreams are going to be one time events then the first option will work better, with a game that has huge potential for intrigue like the Deluca family does this could be another tool for you to use to get insight on what the MC is feeling, even on a subconscious level , however if as you seem to suggest that you'd prefer repeatable minor events then the teasing almost real and wake up may be the best route.

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
I might be in the minority here as I would always prefer to see story progression instead of a dream sequence or a similar storytelling device. Many dreams mess with the laws of nature, which makes the dream either an ephemeral yet positive experience or a pointless and story irrelevant waste of time. But at least one can chalk it up to being a dream and not a flippin' flashback. Flashbacks simply ruin the fun! I better stop before this becomes one long rant! My vote was nay but if the choice is between a dream and a flashback I would go with the dream sequence every time.