naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
(...) Naughty: Just curious as an aspiring dev (someday), how long does it take, roughly, labor time to make a short complex scene like the pirate ship sequence?
Right, not counting time sunk in creating the models or some of the sprite poses which only needed minor tweaks, but with selecting and test driving outfits, tweaking textures and colors, posing the scenes, camera angles, lighting, dforce runs, baking the HDRIs for the bits with sprites, rendering out multiple passes for the engine movements, fixing those passes as that scene is pushing the vram limit and just spilling over in some cases making it drop to CPU for the last handful of iterations leaving it grainy in some cases, rendering out the sprites, selecting and editing the backgrounds, writing the dialogues, selecting a musical score, editing the images, applying transforms for the animations, adding the images into the text, applying transforms for the zooms and pans, reworking to fix nip-clips and other wonkiness, deciding to throw in a big vignette with the camera panning up and do posing, rendering, editing the image, transforms, etc. for that, going over the whole scene a dozen more times for each choice to get the flow of text and the transforms right and fix typos. I'd say about a weeks' work.

Having said that, no-one says you have to start out doing something as involved as that scene, or even go with sprites instead of full scene renders (which tend to feel a lot more cohesive). Get a first, small project in, so you can actually experience what the process of creating an entire game is. Find out what you feel fits with your style and your workflow, and build on that.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Right, not counting time sunk in creating the models or some of the sprite poses which only needed minor tweaks, but with selecting and test driving outfits ... Having said that, no-one says you have to start out doing something as involved as that scene, or even go with sprites instead of full scene renders (which tend to feel a lot more cohesive). Get a first, small project in, so you can actually experience what the process of creating an entire game is. Find out what you feel fits with your style and your workflow, and build on that.
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer. This was one of the most complex scenes I've seen in all the VNs I've played, so I was just wondering how much time something this involved would take. Even though it was short, there was a lot going on.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely think small to start with.

Reactions: naughtyroad

javelin 93

Aug 22, 2018
you need to watch JAV! there are many japanese women with brown ones, for some reason, usually ones who have given birth at some time. as well as the ones who tan outside naked. same with pretty much any woman who has done this.
Yeah, most asian women as well as most non european women are like that. this is why i said the models are probably Latina, because they didn't look asian or afro centric, could even be from the middle eastern arab /semitic world, but they could also be from any ethnicity that's in the mind of the developer. i happen to say Latina because of the dialogue as well,but i've never seen European women un tanned with dark areolas or nips, which was my point, but I know there are exceptions to every known norm.

tsunku

Engaged Member
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, most asian women as well as most non european women are like that. this is why i said the models are probably Latina, because they didn't look asian or afro centric, could even be from the middle eastern arab /semitic world, but they could also be from any ethnicity that's in the mind of the developer. i happen to say Latina because of the dialogue as well,but i've never seen European women un tanned with dark areolas or nips, which was my point, but I know there are exceptions to every known norm.
i was sad that 0.5.2 only had a tiny thing of new in it.. was praying it did ch5 haha

PhoenixRage23

May 24, 2020
Really great game. Can't wait to see what the future holds for updates. Love the models
you use instead of the cookie cutter ones I've seen from a dozen other games I've played.

OUK

May 28, 2017
Reverse image search results are pages with 18 + content and more 18+ pictures Found no name
Yep, indeed. Also not sure if a professional model or private pics. Because of the lack of credits probably leaked private pictures.

rexharbinger

Sep 15, 2017
For my first play through I gave them Middle Eastern names (and I was Bob Vegana), but because of the chunky chica ice cream scene, my second playthrough I gave them Latina names.

DyonisX

Feb 25, 2019
Are the games Vicky talks about actual games or just jokes about what's expected to happen in VN's? If they're specific games could someone list them?

May 14, 2020
Hi great game cool and crisp graphics differing from the norm...was wondering when chapter 5 or further would be getting a release i would like to know/see how things turn out?

bolondro2

Oct 12, 2018
Hi great game cool and crisp graphics differing from the norm...was wondering when chapter 5 or further would be getting a release i would like to know/see how things turn out?
In one year we have 4 releases. If Naugthyroad keeps the same pace, we can gess late August, early September, maybe?

Reactions: MrFriendly
4.70 star(s) 486 Votes