Daz Lighting issues

Aug 17, 2022
Hello !

I'm having an issue with this asset (Crystal Loft). Here are screenshots of what's happening as it'll be easier than explaining it with words.
In the first one you see that the outside of the structure is decently lit by a sphere with 1500000 kcd/m²

1672075053419.png

But as you can see in the second screenshot, only a small fraction of the light is actually getting through, making it quite uneasy to manage the lighting.

1672075093554.png

I don't know if you guys have any idea on what might be causing this to happen. I tried looking at the refraction of the windows surfaces but without great success :(

Rell games

May 5, 2020
The best solution will be to use ghost lights placed on every window facing inside, this way you will have control over how much light comes from which direction

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Use a plane instead of a sphere.

Or what I'd do (well see how it goes) is play sun god

sungod.png

In perspective mode scroll out and up to where you can imagine where the sun light would be and place a camera there (you can place and object/null I use a camera for a reason though)

In render settings

Sun Sky only
Dome rotation - 0 (You can change it depending on which way your scene is facing.)
SS Sun Mode - The camera that you placed

The sun will now shin from wherever the camera is. The reason I use a camera is

ssss.png

You can look down it and see where the light is pointed.

Reactions: drconfused
Aug 17, 2022
Thank you for the answers !

The best solution will be to use ghost lights placed on every window facing inside, this way you will have control over how much light comes from which direction
I thought about it but I want to have the nice shadows cast by the window frame.

Use a plane instead of a sphere.

Or what I'd do (well see how it goes) is play sun god

View attachment 2265634

In perspective mode scroll out and up to where you can imagine where the sun light would be and place a camera there (you can place and object/null I use a camera for a reason though)

In render settings

Sun Sky only
Dome rotation - 0 (You can change it depending on which way your scene is facing.)
SS Sun Mode - The camera that you placed

The sun will now shin from wherever the camera is. The reason I use a camera is

View attachment 2265646

You can look down it and see where the light is pointed.

I tried both and got some similar results. I need to push the environnement lighting to 10 to have a decent light through the window. I clearly think the surface of the windows are to blame.

Here's how the Crystal loft is getting lit by your sun sky technique with a environnement lighting of 1:

1672157208681.png

And here's how another environnement is getting lit with the same settings :

1672157162591.png

I think I'll try to twist the surface even more. Or try to find and replace them by another shader.

drconfused

Mar 30, 2022
I don't know if you guys have any idea on what might be causing this to happen. I tried looking at the refraction of the windows surfaces but without great success :(
Have you tried turning the Outer Glass to Thin Walled? It appears to be off by default and I notice a difference when I toggle it on. I selected CL Base in the Scene tab and then in the Surfaces tab selected Outer Glass, either scroll down to Thin Walled or just put Thin in the search.

And not sure if it matters but you might want to turn on the caustic sampler if you're using the Light Portal.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Took a quick look.
Glasses in the asset you use are composed of multiples surfaces : Moslty WindowGlass & WindowGlassExterior. (You may consider RailGlassExterior, RailGlassOuterExterior too)

DAZStudio_wSro9nYZZ5.jpg

Select both surfaces and apply Iray glass thin clear preset on both and you should be done :

DAZStudio_5tm49tA8mc.jpg

A good trick to see if your glasses have a 'normal' behavior before using an asset is to set up a color in Environment. If you don't see the color, there is something going on.

DAZStudio_ClBWkNxREI.jpg

After surfaces change :

DAZStudio_dc6vA3Gxs6.jpg

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: drconfused
Aug 17, 2022
Have you tried turning the Outer Glass to Thin Walled? It appears to be off by default and I notice a difference when I toggle it on. I selected CL Base in the Scene tab and then in the Surfaces tab selected Outer Glass, either scroll down to Thin Walled or just put Thin in the search.

And not sure if it matters but you might want to turn on the caustic sampler if you're using the Light Portal.

Took a quick look.
Glasses in the asset you use are composed of multiples surfaces : Moslty WindowGlass & WindowGlassExterior. (You may consider RailGlassExterior, RailGlassOuterExterior too)

View attachment 2268560

Select both surfaces and apply Iray glass thin clear preset on both and you should be done :

View attachment 2268564

A good trick to see if your glasses have a 'normal' behavior before using an asset is to set up a color in Environment. If you don't see the color, there is something going on.

View attachment 2268574

After surfaces change :

View attachment 2268591

The shader change pretty much solved the problems. I should have tried that sooner. Thank you all for the help and for the helpful tips as well !