Little use of the c words

godfather77

Jun 2, 2021
I haven't played many games but I noticed that the use of the words cock or cunt is not as common as pussy or dick for example. Is there a reason for this or just the creators choice?

Oct 26, 2017
This apparently seems to be pointed out from time to time. I don't pay much attention to the wording or how vulgar it sounds so I didn't really notice even after a few million words, but I'd say this is more of a personal choice.

The use of more prudish (or common) terms tends to infuriate a bunch of users, especially avid hentai readers, but tolerant users will barely notice any difference unless it really is over-the-top (womanly treasure, secret garden, pink shrine...)

Sole

Aug 8, 2017
I'm not a creator but as someone that has had to sift through large blocks of adult text before trying to figure out how to properly edit and then format something, I can vouch for the presence of too many C words getting annoying after a while, not a matter of genitals, but specifically just short C words in general. Might just be a personal gripe though.

Jofur

May 22, 2018
Dick/pussy seems like a decent "middle ground" word I guess. Penis/vagina is too clinical, and cock and cunt seem better used when you want the word to hit harder.

Personally I like it when you vary it and add more flowery synonyms(but as 262177 said, not overly silly words like womanly treasure). Using the same word over and over again tends to make the writing a bit more stale and bland, erotic fiction or not. It's pretty much creative writing 101.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Cunt, as far as the women I've known, is considered an insult (at least in the United States.). Whereas in Europe it has a completely different meaning. I'm not sure how many devs on here are US natives, but I could see that playing a role in it, especially if they were taught growing up that it's a 'bad word'.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I never used cunt as I see the word as an insult, as a funny way to call someone, and way too rough to actually refer to a vagina.
Although if I wrote a rough character living in the slums with zero education, that would make the usage of cunt pretty fitting.

Aside from that, I usually use all of them to avoid repeating the same word. Reading "cock" in a sentence, then reading "cock" soon after feels off to me, so I use synonyms.

DaCreat0r

May 31, 2018
The two C-words you mention are more towards insult-territory, IMHO. So they tend to be more suited for dirty-talk scenes, or they come off as trying too hard to sound vulgar.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I never use cunt as I see it as too crude and as an insult, but I consider cock and pussy to be equivalents in hot sex scenes and I use them a lot. Dick sounds too meek, and I only occasionally use it but then outside actual sex.

I sometimes use penis/vagina in sex scenes though. Aside from wanting something else than only cock/pussy to choose between, I find that penis/vagina can make things hotter exactly because they feel more clinical, more biological. It's like describing the sex act like you would describe animals having sex. And that can give a raw and animalistic feeling to it, and sort of cleanses the palate for yet another cock and pussy. I don't know if the players appreciate it, but that's how I feel about it.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Cock, cunt, pussy, dick are all used in language to refer to something other than genitals. None is particularly refined or classy things to say.
Cunny however is a cute word to use of a woman's genitals, and people don't use it as an insult so it's much more appropriate.

Icarus Media

F95 Comedian
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2019
CUNT!!! Sorry but since this word is the topic of the thread this is the only chance I can use the word outside of Off-Topic and I wanted to take that chance.

Also noting someones reply a few posts above...Pink Shrine?! Geez....

Deleted member 1952336

Ortus
Game Developer
Jan 18, 2020
Per google trends cunt is nearly never used compared to pussy. It's more of an extreme insult that's rarely used. And because of the extreme hatred associated with it, it's not often used.

Dick is about twice as commonly used as cock, per google trends. Cock also has a stronger connotation towards chicken.

I try to vary word use when I'm writing but also think about the emotional quality of different words. The emotion of the scene and the MC's relationship(s) will effect word use greatly.

Last edited:

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
if you have even a tiny idea of what you're doing, you make the characters only speak words that they would use. and nobody wants to write about characters who use cunt for pussy.

cock is very common, but there's a tone difference which restricts its usefulness as well.

Reactions: apatheticcreative

Oct 26, 2017
CUNT!!! Sorry but since this word is the topic of the thread this is the only chance I can use the word outside of Off-Topic and I wanted to take that chance.

Also noting someones reply a few posts above...Pink Shrine?! Geez....
Indeed, pink shrine almost managed to make me laugh. Had a good chuckle for sure. Trying to remember where I saw it, possibly on that one London-isekai text-based Java game.

You should see how infuriated some particularly vocal hentai addicts get when a translated book doesn't give them their proper vulgar words, though. Really worth it just to facepalm at it, and even when the book pretty much uses conventional terms, not prudish borderline-trolling or intentionally silly stuff. :sneaky:
I never used cunt as I see the word as an insult, as a funny way to call someone, and way too rough to actually refer to a vagina.
Although if I wrote a rough character living in the slums with zero education, that would make the usage of cunt pretty fitting.

Aside from that, I usually use all of them to avoid repeating the same word. Reading "cock" in a sentence, then reading "cock" soon after feels off to me, so I use synonyms.
The latter also is my own approach to avoid repeats. Can't really comment on cock since I do full yuri, but yes, using vagina over and over again wouldn't exactly feel all that good. A thesaurus always comes in handy.

Reactions: Winterfire

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
Depends where you're from. I think In American cunt is an insult, in the Uk it means pussy I think, but also can be used as an insult and in Australia it's like a greeting like sup.

Apr 19, 2019
I think it depends on perspective. If a nice girl who is a little inexperienced says "Shove that cock in my cunt!" It might be a little out of character for her. "Put your dick in my pussy." seems a little softer. A little less forceful. On the other hand such a character might not be comfortable using any of those words, but if she still wants it she might be a little shy. "You can put it in, if you want."

A different character, the ultra-experienced and mature, insatiable whore would have no problem telling you to "Jam that hard cock in my wet cunt you fucker!" She knows exactly what she wants, and she knows exactly how to get it. "Yes ma'am!"

The clinical terms "Vagina, labia, penis, testicles, etc." are distinctly unsexy sounding, and least to me. They might make sense to use if the character is a doctor or something.

Basically use the words that best fit the characters.

Reactions: Dahakma

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I think it depends on perspective. If a nice girl who is a little inexperienced says "Shove that cock in my cunt!" It might be a little out of character for her. "Put your dick in my pussy." seems a little softer. A little less forceful. On the other hand such a character might not be comfortable using any of those words, but if she still wants it she might be a little shy. "You can put it in, if you want."

A different character, the ultra-experienced and mature, insatiable whore would have no problem telling you to "Jam that hard cock in my wet cunt you fucker!" She knows exactly what she wants, and she knows exactly how to get it. "Yes ma'am!"

The clinical terms "Vagina, labia, penis, testicles, etc." are distinctly unsexy sounding, and least to me. They might make sense to use if the character is a doctor or something.

Basically use the words that best fit the characters.
Of course, but 100% dialogue isn't the only way to write a story. For descriptive text in a sex scene, what is fitting has to do with the MC (looking through their eyes), the setting and the general feeling you want to convey.

Dahakma

Nov 15, 2019
I usually alter between cock and dick. I use cunt sometimes, spoken by foul-mouthed characters or during dirty talk or in degrading/insulting/humiliating context.

I sometimes use penis/vagina in sex scenes though.
I now and then do to, I like how disruptive their unsexiness feels.

This is one thing I'm struggling with. Is there even a neutral term a chaste girl would use for her genitals? Vagina sounds too clinical, pussy too rude, pink shrine too dumb.

Staimh

Dec 12, 2020
This is one thing I'm struggling with. Is there even a neutral term a chaste girl would use for her genitals? Vagina sounds too clinical, pussy too rude, pink shrine too dumb.
Thanks to Roger's Profanisaurus for the following suggestions:
beaver, clown's pocket, cunny, cwm valley, gash, fanny, fanoire, flower, fou-fou, front bottom, fun tunnel, liver sock, mapatasi, minge, muff, pussy, quim, sausage wallet, snapper, snatch, twat, wizard's sleeve, yak, yoni
- this is not an exhaustive list

Last edited:
Reactions: apatheticcreative