Locating Saves of RPGM games that are played through a browser

Archaon11111

Engaged Member
Aug 14, 2020
So there's this method to play through RPGM games through a browser using http-server thats provided with nodejs & npm for those of us using Linux. It works fine however the saves aren't located in the save folder in game files like they're supposed to. Anybody got any clue on where they might be? Searching through .rpgsave yields no results as well.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Yes, if you play the games on your browser (that is, if you just use the http.server module of Python 3 or the similar, but less powerful module of Python 2), your progress data are in the cache browser.

If you want to inspect your progress, press F12 (open the JS console) and go to:
- Application -> Local Storage (on Chromium-derived browsers)
- Storage -> Local Storage (on Firefox)
then find the game URL (for instance ) and finally select the key, aka the save slot.
Saves may be called, for instance, RPG File1, RPG File2: but this depends on the game.
In the attached screenshot, I have saves from The Passage, Fake AI, Free Cities, Whoremaker and what not. Some are compressed, some aren't (saves from RPG Maker are usually compressed iirc).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Physically your browser cache is located in ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Local Storage/leveldb (if you use Google Chrome) but you won't find any .rpgsave file in that directory.

If you use NW.js instead (node.js + chromium), your .rpgsave files should be stored in the "saves" folder as usual.

Archaon11111

Engaged Member
Aug 14, 2020
Yes, if you play the games on your browser (that is, if you just use the http.server module of Python 3 or the similar, but less powerful module of Python 2), your progress data are in the cache browser.

If you want to inspect your progress, press F12 (open the JS console) and go to:
- Application -> Local Storage (on Chromium-derived browsers)
- Storage -> Local Storage (on Firefox)
then find the game URL (for instance ) and finally select the key, aka the save slot.
Saves may be called, for instance, RPG File1, RPG File2: but this depends on the game.
In the attached screenshot, I have saves from The Passage, Fake AI, Free Cities, Whoremaker and what not. Some are compressed, some aren't (saves from RPG Maker are usually compressed iirc).
Physically your browser cache is located in ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Local Storage/leveldb (if you use Google Chrome) but you won't find any .rpgsave file in that directory.

If you use NW.js instead (node.js + chromium), your .rpgsave files should be stored in the "saves" folder as usual.
Ah I see thank you, just my bad luck I use firefox and it seems the browser compiles them all in a sqlite file. Question though is it possible to edit saves if I switch to chromium or will that just destroy an already delicate procedure?

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
You don't need to change your browser, Firefox should work too.

In you want to export your progress into a physical file, just copy the value of your save (in the previous screenshot, it's the string that starts with N4IgzgnmAuCmC2IBcoD6YCGA...) and past it into a txt file. Save it as UTF-8, then name it as "file1.rpgsave" (replace '1' with any number you like). Congrats, this is a perfectly valid RPGM save.

If you can't copy that string from the Storace tab (iirc Firefox didn't let me do it), you can retrieve it via the "Console" tab. Type either:
- localStorage["RPG File1"]
or:
- localStorage.getItem("RPG File1")
then press Enter (replace "RPG File1" with the correct key).

On a side note, you can also use the "Console" tab to cheat. For instance, your gold is usually stored in the variable $gameParty._gold.

Edit: for sake of completeness, you can also import a physical save back into the browser.
First, open it with a text editor:
select all the text, copy it, launch the game in the browser, press the F12 key, go to the "Console" tab, type either:
- localStorage["RPG File1"] = "N4IgzgnmAuCmC2IBcoD6YCGA[...]"
or:
- localStorage.setItem("RPG File1", "N4IgzgnmAuCmC2IBcoD6YCGA[...]")
and press Enter (again, replace RPG File1 with the correct key).

Last edited: