Casual Voyeur

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
Beautiful visuals and audio.
The renders are tasteful and the ambient music unobtrusively fits the scenes.
The scene with Elsa outside the cafe reminds me of an Edward Hopper painting.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Animations are well done, but there's room for improvement.

The girls are gorgeous (especially Vicky and Elsa).
Even the waitress is damn fine looking.

I like the (sometimes quite philosophical) dialogue, though it requires better proofreading.

The story is a mixed bag for me.
In general I prefer realistic stories - and amnesia is a trope worn thin in games.
So far the story could have easily worked without amnesia and the supernatural stuff (being unable to leave town, telepathy).
I think that relationships are progressing too fast - it's just not very realistic that people warm up so quickly with the MC, tell him their secrets and ask him for help.
Maybe it's just me, but at the end of the first episode I had a hard time following the story and keeping track of people's motivations, especially regarding Olga and Diana.
Last, but not least: Some change of scenery seemed too abrupt (people not even saying "bye" to each other).

I'm also torn about the choices and their outcome - some are obvious, some aren't, for example
I have to admit that one of the latter was so obscure that I didn't even understand the walkthrough.

I will keep the game on my watch list - it deserves to become more popular.

Bitter Strawman

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2019
Nice review, I appreciate it.
Some flaws I hope to fix in next episodes - like animations, proofreading, motivation/relationship development.
Some I can't, unfortunately, like setting choice (I really suck at slice of life stories without any mystic/fantastic element) and narrative speed (I'm limited in resources and don't want to make neverending vn, 7-10 episodes tops. And with slower romantic burn - it will make the story very dry in the beginning and very sex oriented in the end. I would like to make it more balanced. Still gonna take your suggestions into account.)
Thank you again for your review, your help is priceless.

Reactions: Casual Voyeur

Casual Voyeur

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
Thanks for your answer.

It's perfectly fine that you prefer to tell stories with fantastic / supernatural elements, but I don't think you would suck at telling a compelling story without those.
Most of the story of "Locked Away" is realistic after all (well, as "realistic" as those stories can be).
It could have easily worked as a realistic story about corruption (mayor, police) or an unsolved crime, similar to "Depraved Awakening".

I agree with you about a balanced approach regarding lewd scenes.
My critique didn't imply I wanted to see those scenes late in the game, but in my opinion episode 2 or 3 would have probably been more appropriate - just give people a little bit of time to get to know (and maybe kiss) each other before getting it on.
I'm probably in a minority here.

Meanwhile I also figured out how to get ending d - the walkthrough is a bit confusing in that regard (or I just wasn't smart enough).

Reactions: Bitter Strawman

Bitter Strawman

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2019
Thanks for your answer.

It's perfectly fine that you prefer to tell stories with fantastic / supernatural elements, but I don't think you would suck at telling a compelling story without those.
Most of the story of "Locked Away" is realistic after all (well, as "realistic" as those stories can be).
It could have easily worked as a realistic story about corruption (mayor, police) or an unsolved crime, similar to "Depraved Awakening".

I agree with you about a balanced approach regarding lewd scenes.
My critique didn't imply I wanted to see those scenes late in the game, but in my opinion episode 2 or 3 would have probably been more appropriate - just give people a little bit of time to get to know (and maybe kiss) each other before getting it on.
I'm probably in a minority here.

Meanwhile I also figured out how to get ending d - the walkthrough is a bit confusing in that regard (or I'm just not smart enough).
Well after taking some time and playing The DeLuca Family I consider to change a little renders-per-text ratio, so it could actually cover bigger amount of time to tell longer story per episode. I doubt players really need to get unique frame reaction for each line.
However that brings 2 major problems.
I can cover that amount of text and renders (I hope, lol), but that will make episode even bigger than the first one (especially with 4 big routes I've already written for ep2). I get a feeling that most players actually played only one route in 1 ep. Won't it be too long and extensive for players?
The whole "getting known better" and "kissing" thing requires a romantic route for each character. It is easy to write 2 romantic lines in DeLuca Family especially when those characters are rather supporting for main storyline. And it sounds like a nightmare to write 7-8 routes into a story like mine, where they all are main characters. If you start them at once - you need to maintain like 8 routes + main storyline ones. If you start them in different episodes - each one will get different amount of content. What about jealousy and conflicts created by that? That's why I actually planned to fill the whole story with more or less casual sex and leave the whole romance to the end right before the grand finale. (actually the one Depraved Awakening implements IMHO)
I got your point, that it's the emotional foreplay that hooks up. I will see what I can do about that, however I'm not sure the story concept itself gives me too much space without shooting myself in the foot.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
This here ... this is a wondrous fantasy that dev and fans alike have connected into and are, as we speak, bloating into infinity with hopes, dreams, intent and plots the punch line of which can never be so bold as to reach the actual factual realm.

There are ways to interact with players by defaulting the dream sequence puppet master that claims to have planted the MC into the game. That is a plot forwarding device very useful and also dramatic enough to not trigger 4th wall breakage.

There is also lurking inside the game a Jean Grey level telepath enacting revenge left and right and also altering MC perception by invading his baffled mind with back drop story bombs and clips of hard to grasp turns of events.

Most games lack basic UI explanations and MC introduction as to direct the player in the right direction - any game has limitations and nobody wants the MC to hit brick walls while gaming (falling through walls, getting same dialogue with no way to advance, stopping and wallowing in every plot twist like there was no tomorrow).

This game has very good direction monotones that plunge players into the direction of plot intended by enacting a rinse and repeat strategy - as evidenced by the walk through that puts all rewards at the very end of one's story arc decisions - MC helps said character, they get on with their bilateral story, MC gets rewards from said character he helped.

Such extreme instincts and understanding of human nature puts the MC right there with Ray Donovan as the stunts he can and does pull from the safety of his Jean Grey land lady hideout, who spouts exposition like no other.

Bitter Strawman

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2019
This here ... this is a wondrous fantasy that dev and fans alike have connected into and are, as we speak, bloating into infinity with hopes, dreams, intent and plots the punch line of which can never be so bold as to reach the actual factual realm.

There are ways to interact with players by defaulting the dream sequence puppet master that claims to have planted the MC into the game. That is a plot forwarding device very useful and also dramatic enough to not trigger 4th wall breakage.

There is also lurking inside the game a Jean Grey level telepath enacting revenge left and right and also altering MC perception by invading his baffled mind with back drop story bombs and clips of hard to grasp turns of events.

Most games lack basic UI explanations and MC introduction as to direct the player in the right direction - any game has limitations and nobody wants the MC to hit brick walls while gaming (falling through walls, getting same dialogue with no way to advance, stopping and wallowing in every plot twist like there was no tomorrow).

This game has very good direction monotones that plunge players into the direction of plot intended by enacting a rinse and repeat strategy - as evidenced by the walk through that puts all rewards at the very end of one's story arc decisions - MC helps said character, they get on with their bilateral story, MC gets rewards from said character he helped.

Such extreme instincts and understanding of human nature puts the MC right there with Ray Donovan as the stunts he can and does pull from the safety of his Jean Grey land lady hideout, who spouts exposition like no other.
I guess that's why it's so important for me to put brick walls far enough to let as many players through as possible and close enough to not let them lose the way. There is a crosspoint where satisfaction of all sides is maxed.
That is if I get your message correct)

Casual Voyeur

Formerly 'decent'
Donor
Nov 27, 2018
I get a feeling that most players actually played only one route in 1 ep.
I mostly followed the "optimal" route (maximum relationship points) and then dabbled around with the different endings.

The whole "getting known better" and "kissing" thing requires a romantic route for each character. It is easy to write 2 romantic lines in DeLuca Family especially when those characters are rather supporting for main storyline. And it sounds like a nightmare to write 7-8 routes into a story like mine, where they all are main characters. If you start them at once - you need to maintain like 8 routes + main storyline ones. If you start them in different episodes - each one will get different amount of content. What about jealousy and conflicts created by that? That's why I actually planned to fill the whole story with more or less casual sex and leave the whole romance to the end right before the grand finale.
Well, that's what you get for creating so many beautiful / interesting characters. ;)
I'm always hoping for a romance path, but if you have something different in mind - so be it.
I'm surprised you are talking about 8 main characters - to me it seems some of them are more important (especially Elsa and Vicky, who are also my favorites so far).
However, I can only imagine the nightmare of implementing several paths with meaningful choices.

I got your point, that it's the emotional foreplay that hooks up. I will see what I can do about that, however I'm not sure the story concept itself gives me too much space without shooting myself in the foot.
I think the most important thing you as a developer can do is to follow your own artistic vision.
In the end you want to create a game you feel passionate about, a game you like to play yourself.
Trying to cater to the masses is a shortcut to failure.
With that said: Don't get confused by (my) criticism.
If you consider anything you read useful - fine, else: ignore it. ;)

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
The point got through ... thank you for that meaningful response.

also ... as the intended game creation road map looks like this:
... I consider to change a little renders-per-text ratio, so it could actually cover bigger amount of time to tell longer story per episode. I doubt players really need to get unique frame reaction for each line.
... I actually planned to fill the whole story with more or less casual sex and leave the whole romance to the end right before the grand finale.
... I'm not sure the story concept itself gives me too much space without shooting myself in the foot.
I can see the continuation of any of the other game babes routes in the next iteration ... maybe with the mayor in a more or less latest series of Ray Donovan ... maybe with the girl co owning the diner ... as the story and the fulmination of the ginger that literally twisted what little wit MC had left after constant emotional and dreamy abuse was spectacular.

Dream on ... whatever your passion ... drive it to 11 and send it flying towards the apples of our eyes!

Bitter Strawman

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2019
I think the most important thing you as a developer can do is to follow your own artistic vision.
In the end you want to create a game you feel passionate about, a game you like to play yourself.
Trying to cater to the masses is a shortcut to failure.
With that said: Don't get confused by (my) criticism.
If you consider anything you read useful - fine, else: ignore it. ;)
I know, but my artistic vision has points that won't be changed no matter what and points that can be debatable. It's not about "changing story to satisfy masses", it's more like "tuning".
About your criticism - I understand that as well. You were kind enough to write detailed opinion, I thought it would be fair to share some ideas, vision, what can and what can't be done and why. I know I can't satisfy every single player)

Bitter Strawman

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2019
The point got through ... thank you for that meaningful response.

also ... as the intended game creation road map looks like this:

I can see the continuation of any of the other game babes routes in the next iteration ... maybe with the mayor in a more or less latest series of Ray Donovan ... maybe with the girl co owning the diner ... as the story and the fulmination of the ginger that literally twisted what little wit MC had left after constant emotional and dreamy abuse was spectacular.

Dream on ... whatever your passion ... drive it to 11 and send it flying towards the apples of our eyes!
Who knows)
I hope you will like it. I appreciate your support.

Reactions: Canto Forte

ive_got-problems

Mar 21, 2018
I liked it a lot! Much more content than I was expecting with a first release, and the renders where very good. Elsa and her freckles are very nice for sure. And the story was really good too, the cliffhanger definitely will have me waiting for the next update. Thanks very much for the game!

ive_got-problems

Mar 21, 2018
Very good start. The story is intriguing and the characters are well presented. Also the renders (freckles in all body!) and lewd scenes are good (the final scene with Elsa is above average).
About the plot
I actually thought the same exact thing, so now I'm wondering who it is since it seems like you're saying it's not her! :unsure:

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Hello everybody!
Happy spring opening along some of gaming better moving ladies and a great hitch/the counselor/eraser level kind MC.
Also such disconnect between creator and MC is a tale forever theme - that is why game makers need beta testers and why star cr a ft coders were/are some of the better sta r cr aft players - any average player just cannot contend with infatuated makers not seeing just how much of an abbreviated version of their stories actually make it on screen and may seem disconnect or strange to new players, Spring on!

Bitter Strawman

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2019
Hello everybody!
Happy spring opening along some of gaming better moving ladies and a great hitch/the counselor/eraser level kind MC.
Also such disconnect between creator and MC is a tale forever theme - that is why game makers need beta testers and why star cr a ft coders were/are some of the better sta r cr aft players - any average player just cannot contend with infatuated makers not seeing just how much of an abbreviated version of their stories actually make it on screen and may seem disconnect or strange to new players, Spring on!
I tried, it didn't help in plot questions, opinions became ridiculously different, but justified.

Reactions: Canto Forte
4.30 star(s) 13 Votes