Longevity of MC's love interests

Do you get bored of the MC's love interest after he sleeps with them?

• Yes, you can only conquer a castle once

• No, that does not bother me at all

• It depends on whether the story is good enough to keep the love interest around

• Not if there are secondary love interests to pursue and "take a break" from the primary one

• Not if the sexual aspect of their relationship develops further (anal, rough love, swinging...)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Worlaix

Game Developer
Dec 30, 2018
Seducing a love interest of the MC is the key element of many adult games - in some (most?) it is basically the entire plot. In ideal circumstances, the MC meets the love interest, gets to know them, there is some development of their relationship mirrored by gradual build up of sexual tension, and finally... the two of them sleep together.

But what then? I guess the story just moves forward regardless, but in games where the story revolves only around seducing MC's love interests, this can be problematic and can sometimes lead to a late introduction of dramatic elements into the story which may seem sudden and out of place, alternatively new love interests are introduced, but then the cycle ultimately repeats itself.

How do YOU feel about the topic in question? Do you lose interest in the love interest of the MC once the MC has completed his "conquest"? If so, does it happen regardless of the strength of the narrative? What about games that focus majority of their attention towards seducing a single love interest (Melody, for example) while the secondary love interests are a pleasant distraction rather than a replacement? Did you feel like the game had nothing more to offer after the MC slept with Melody once, twice or three times?

Personally, I feel like a good story can keep my interest going even though the MC has already seduced his love interest. But in games where the plot has nothing more to offer than seducing girl A, B, C, D and E, my interest in individual girls drifts away after the MC has his way with them - afterwards, it feels like watching a movie for a few extra hours even though the main villain has already been defeated - and the hero's objective has been accomplished, much like in the case of MC having seduced his love interest.

As a somewhat related topic, how do you feel about the MC having wives and girlfriends in adult games? Seeing as the MC is an extension of you the player, does it in any way bother you when the story of the game throws you into a longterm relationship with a romantic interest of the MC, even when there is a vast variety of other characters that you maybe would have prefered over the girl the MC had to marry? Say, for example - imagine if in Roundscape: Adorevia, you would be forced to marry Meredith. Let's assume that there would be sufficient build up and a justification as to why it is necessary, but you would have no choice over the matter. Would that in any way bother you, considering Clawyn was your favorite girl?

I think it's important for us the players to understand as much as it is for the developers to realize that their time is a limited resource, and if marriage to Meredith was tightly attached to the story, implementing options to choose between other girls could lead to an extreme amount of variables and essentially result in the developer creating multiple parallels of the same game. The only way I see the choices possible would be if it was a choice shortly before the ending of the game, or a choice that would be shortly reverted, thus inconsequential.

But my main question regarding the topic of "forced marriage" is what would it take for you to accept that the development of the story results in the MC marrying a character while you have no choice in the matter? Would a good story and a cast of secondary characters to cheat on your wife with be enough to maintain your interest in the game?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts, and maybe some developer out there can find it useful at some point :)

Reactions: Freeze10p2w

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
if I'm interested in the character, ie. if it hits my kinks, I don't get bored. if it doesn't hit my kinks I don't want to touch them in the first place and no amount of forced interaction with them is gonna make me hate them less. if I could kick every 'little sister' or any other pedo-bait out of the house they'd be gone faster than mom can find herself hypnotized by mc's cock.

I've never started a game with an existing gf/wife who I didn't instantly hate. let me make my own choices.

what would it take? hard to say... maybe somekinda body-switch plot where I switch places with 'my son' and need to reconquer my wife against all obvious obstacles. otherwise I can't see me not hating anyone I'm forced together with.

Reactions: Canade and Worlaix

Farnuge

Mar 18, 2018
First, I want to point out that I do NOT see the player as an extension of myself. A visual novel to me is more like that of a paper one - I'm just an observer, who in this case can influence the story. I have no romantic or other attachment to the MC or any of the characters save for perhaps hating those who are obnoxious or douchey.

I don't get bored in maintaining a single romance. As long as the sex scenes are different, varied, and the plot continues, I don't mind following along. In fact, if you throw too many characters at me the game sorta becomes shallow, especially if none of them contain my fetishes, and dev time is wasted on exploring those characters. Games like Summertime Saga that once held my attention with the stuff at home, has now lost it going after every stray classmate.

Additionally, as an example, I think Man of the House and Dreams of Desire ended way way too early, they could have continued with the main family characters for much longer without losing interest.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Well, I pretty much don't play games with just a single love interest (few even come to mind), so maybe that says a lot about me. I also don't play games where you have multiple love interests and have to choose one, but that's largely because I just don't like replaying games (adult or otherwise). In other words, I pretty much only play harem games.

Subsequent encounters with any girl are often less exciting than the first encounter, or less enticing than the prospect of a first encounter with a different girl, but ultimately it depends on the character and the writing. Even the repeated scenes from MotH could have been somewhat enjoyable to me if the dialogue had been mixed up a bit, but then I enjoy text games and erotic fiction.

Reactions: Worlaix