Looking for a Character Designer & Animator for game involving League Characters

unrealimaginations

Aug 14, 2018
Hi, I am looking for a Character Designer & Animator. I will be working closely with you to create a
game involving League Characters like Jinx, Caitlyn, Vi and many more. I will be using either RPGM Maker
or Unity. Most Likey the later one. I need someone capable of delivering art quick as It will be a Patreon
funded game. If you are interested please email 1 Peice of your art style and 1 drawing of a League character
to "unrealimaginations@gmail.com".

See you on the Summoners Rift
Ps: I am willing to share upto 50% of profits

Reactions: whateyesee23

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Forgive me if I come off as rude or off-putting, but your post seems rather cringy, and I'll explain why in a bit. But I wanted to ask (without trying to sound mean), are you new to game making?

Now I don't want you to think I am attacking you, I love the game making community and always want to encourage people, not scare them off or try to make them feel like they can't do it, but one could say you are asking a lot.

Basically, it sounds like you want a dedicated artist, I say that mostly because of your mention for speed. In order to have the fastest art output, you want to hire someone.

Now most of us online are normal people, we can't afford to employ other people, so naturally for small timers like us who do adult games for fun or want to make fan games that step on the intellectual properties of others (such as league characters), hiring people isn't typical.

Because most artists who are available online don't expect to be hired, we have to work differently compared to someone who would be a 'dedicated' artist for a team. I'm ignoring online artists who do standard commissions in this discussion.

Because I am not a dedicated artist, just a casual who likes to experiment, but has done some small-time projects, when I read your post, there were quite a few red flags that I wanted to pointed out, but I wanted to point these out to help you, not to attack you.

Mainly, you listed the 3 main things that scare 'casual' artists away (at least me and the few I am familiar with)
  • Animator
  • Delivering art Quickly
  • Rev-share
The animation is not hard for an artist who already knows how to do animation, however it is not fast, which goes against your request for speed. for artist who don't animate regularly enough, they would still worry about speed since they still need to perfect their method which takes time and if they get better as they go along, many artist have the issue of wanting togo back and redo the work just because for most artist, a piece is never finished. and for many artist on these forums, they are 3D image artist, they don't necessarily do animations. I do both 2D and 3d art and animation, but I don't find to many others on these forums, but i do find better luck on reddit.

the main danger with animation is just working out the technicallities, which often requires more information about how you plan to implment your game, and depending on some artist's workflow, they may or maynot be able to accomidate. if you are making a 3D game, with custom animation for particular interactions, that's probably the most complex as the artist would need to understand the engine animation layering system, or they may even need to implement the animation using the built in unity animator system because explaining how the animations should be put together for you to do in engine would take the same amout of time as just doing so.

delivering art quickly, this is probably the scariest thing you can say because for the most part, we casual artist arn't getting paid so we can not focus just the art, we have to do it on the side when we find avalability. We do this for fun, as a hobby, and because life is ever changing, we don't even know how long we can dedicate ourselves to a project. I use to think I was terribly slow. at my best I could go from description to finished nude 2D character in about 12 hours, clothes another 6 or so hours, and another 6 hours to make a character animation ready. so about 24, and that's been my best time, I thought it was pretty fast. but if I worked 8 hours, that means it takes 3 days to go from description to ready to animate. which can take a lot long since i usually only have 2 hours a day to spare if at all (finishing college still) I haven't done enough speed run through 3D character creation to give an estimation yet.

I would say, you probably never want to mention speed since it stresses people out.

if anything, probably the most important thing you want to do to get artist who would work without pay is to get them interested in your project, and then be accommodating, since they are volunteering and doing this for fun or out of passion, not really for profit.

lastly, willing to share profits, this is called the rev-share model. People pay artist 1 of three ways, they hire them, they commission art 1 at a time or in batches, or rev share. Hiring is the most reliable and expensive. commission can still be pretty expensive, and it can also be the slowest. That is because while commission art can be the fastest made art, and probably the best price for art after the game has launched and become a success, I find that often artist don't do batch commission or no more than 3 because again, it stresses them out, and it is important that they stay connected with their own private community/following that they developed because their community is their only reliable means of getting new customers and free advertisement, and they can't neglect them for too long. as a result you can be slowed down because an artist's commissions will be closed as they get swamped, or want to hold off on doing too much work just to one person.

now rev share. I don't know if this is considered a bad word or not, but I do know some people avoid this like the plague. That is because rev share can be the cheapest, if not entirely free (ignoring the revenue share being lost), however, for the artist it is the riskiest as more likely than not the project will fail (I think I might be in the double digits now, of projects I helped with that never came to completion or their Patreon page flopped). some people avoid it because it basically means no pay.

for artist: no pay, only working when you have spare hours, you have a life of your own, projects of your own, you may not regularly be available to work on art, and maybe you only like a particular aspect of art or workflow (ie just painting). Because this describes most casual artists, the type of people you are most likely to have read your post, probably the most important thing to do is describe your idea, get people interested, what makes you special, and don't expect speed.

so if you're expecting to make money from patreon, I hate to break it to you, but your artist isn't, thats the issue with rev-share. so if you are expecting to focus on this project full time, well that's great but your teammates don't expect the same and as a result they will not work the same as you. also it seems the first 2 week mark is the hardest for new teams fyi.

with some post for starting games, some people go as far as to post 'game design' documents or 'GD,' and some artist only look for projects with these 'GD' and some times you can't fully develope your ideas yet because you are not sure what limitations your art or artist may have.

the reason I asked if you are a new to game making is becaues it sounds like you want to go to work right away, you are raising all the red flags, and without talking about your ideas you sound like a scammer but this could be because you are new and don't know what to say. sorry for the long post, I was just suprised by how much your post was asking for an artist but at the same time scaring them all away, so I wanted to point it out.

Reactions: Ninox and Cul