Looking for assets for my first attempt at making a visual novel

cubbie333

Jan 21, 2021
Hey everyone!

I've been a developer for nearly 20 years now and like to write stories as a hobby. Recently I've gotten an interest in visual novels and would like to make an attempt at creating one myself. However, I'm most certainly not an artist! And to be honest, I'm not about to buy a whole range of expensive assets just to see if this is something I'd like to do or not.

Hence I'd like to ask if there are some artists here that happen to have a bunch of assets they don't mind me using. The game I plan to make will be free (not looking to make any money either) and credit will obviously be provided. What I'm looking for is just generic backgrounds and 18+ human characters, preferably in multiple poses and with different clothing. I do know my way around Photoshop myself, so just separate layers is fine as well. However, anything you don't mind allowing me to use for this purpose is fine.

I'm more than happy to have a talk through DMs here or on Discord if you'd like before you provide me with anything. Just not posting mine here publicly yet as I'm a new user and my first 3 posts seem to have a lot of restrictions.

Note: Since I plan to release this game to the public, I don't want any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright and are willing to give me a license to use it!

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
You could look into DAZ3D and the (pirated) assets on this forum linked above. You dont really have to be an artist/3D modeller to create renders using DAZ.

As for copyright any renders you make with DAZ are your own. As long as you dont bloat around that you used pirated assets there isnt anyway for somebody to see if you bought the assets or not.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
Thank you. I did find those, but I noticed they're copyrighted materials. I'd be happy to use them, but I don't think it would be legal to release my game with those assets unless I buy all the licenses related to them. Hence I asked here.
there could be found leaked/pirated assets you are free to use, and modify as you wish.
the only drawback is that those "free-ones" probably are the most used/present assets around, so if you wanna your game to look unique you will probably need a time to make some custom stuff out of those resources.