Looking for Daz G3F hair with a white forelock

frap

Oct 17, 2018
I'm looking for hair for Genesis 3 female with a white forelock, prefer shoulder-length (or longer) hair and prefer it doesn't look like ass.

The decent shoulder-length or longer hair I have has their surfaces all mixed up in a tangle which works great for blending multiple shades into something realistic, but means I can't isolate the forelock (which would be bangs if trimmed) and turn only that white.

I've spent way too many hours poring over the Daz store and not finding it, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks

Something like this:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Thanos247

Devourer of Worlds
Donor
Jun 11, 2017
I mean, its not the hair that does anything special, its the shader I used. Put it like this; every object you see in Daz in just clay. I mean EVERYTHING, minus the lighting. All people do is give them paint jobs and make them look good. Now with hair, many of them have options to have several colors in one. All you have to do is look at the surfaces tab of it, and see what options exist. Some have the base, bang, cap and so on. Meaning, just because its one hair piece you see, doesn't mean you can't have many different colors in them.

So here's an example of what I mean; I'm in the middle of doing a render, so I can't make several hairs as an example, but I can show you what I"m talking about. Take a look at this girls hair and you'll notice its just a short hair set. But look at the "surfaces" tab on the bottom right. See how theres bangs, bangs thin, base and bob. All those are different parts of the one hair you see. If I want to change one (like what you are asking), then I click the one I want (like the example), and find a good shader like on the left. If you aren't sure what certain parts are, just choose different ones and play around with it. Make the entire thing black, then little pieces green so they stand out and you can see what belongs to what. Pretty much, every hair has that option. I can tell you the hair I used, but what if its not one your looking for. Oh and this just doesn't work for hair, it works for everything in Daz. LIke I said, everything is just clay, and "surfaces" tab allows you to change what that clay looks like. Meaning, you can make a circular object look like metal:

Or look like a piece of candy:

An alien object:

So on and so forth. So just find a piece of hair that you like, then change the part of the hair that you want to make white. Oh, and in case you are wondering what hair that particular one is:

I should know it, I'm the person who made that render of Rogue.

Reactions: PJWhoopie

frap

Oct 17, 2018
I mean, its not the hair that does anything special, its the shader I used. Put it like this; every object you see in Daz in just clay. I mean EVERYTHING, minus the lighting. All people do is give them paint jobs and make them look good. Now with hair, many of them have options to have several colors in one. All you have to do is look at the surfaces tab of it, and see what options exist. Some have the base, bang, cap and so on. Meaning, just because its one hair piece you see, doesn't mean you can't have many different colors in them.
I get what you're saying re:surfaces. The problem I've been having is the hairs I have have the surfaces all jumbled, so you change the color for what is labeled "bangs" and there's twisted streaks all through the hair. Which I mentioned in the OP.

Thanos247

Devourer of Worlds
Donor
Jun 11, 2017
I don’t remember what I changed. What I’m saying is, almost every hair you find can do what you want. If that particular part of the hair isn’t the right one, then try the next one. Just Ctrl + Z to undo the color change, if it’s not the correct section your looking for. While some hairs only have a few options like base, bangs, and so on, there are some vendors who's hair have a shit ton of sections. Pretty much, and one from this vendor can do what your asking:

I know because I have a few of his hairs and each has about 8+ sections to dye. His Lady Dragon Fly has about 20, so that will definitely have what you need.

Reactions: PJWhoopie

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I did something along these lines with this render...

In this case, you'll note that her bangs have a slight blue shade to them (Rochelle ponytail hair btw). What I did was adjust the texture map to add a couple of blueish strips (I could have contrasted more, but I wanted subtlety here). Since the bangs had their own texture subsection, I was able to point the bangs to the modified texture map, while pointing the rest of the hair to the unmodified texture.

I'd suggest looking through your various hairstyles under surfaces for a hairstyle with multiple subdivisions, with separate bangs, etc. That'd be your best bet. Then, take the relevant texture map into Photoshop, etc. and use the marquee tool to select a narrow strip of the texture, and alter the color/hue. I'd suggest copying/pasting the strip you are modifying to a new layer, the layers will get merged again when you save the .jpg. Also, of course save to a different filename (don't overwrite the original).

It may take a couple of tries to 'highlight' the desired strands, i.e. you may need to select a different strip on the source texture map, as it may not be immediately obvious which strip affects which section of the hairstyle. This is the other reason I suggest doing the 'layer' thing, although you could revert as well (as long as you don't overwrite the original texture).

Here's a couple of hairstyles that may get you close to what you want (photoshop may get you the rest of the way). @lexx228 already suggested streaming hair (might be worth a look), as well as @Thanos247 's suggestions.

Some of the outoftouch hairstyle addons might also be worth looking at.

PJWhoopie

May 14, 2019
Thanos....
Thanks for your introduction to the surfaces tab.... I am newish to Daz and still trying to find my way around.... your little tutorial has been helpful.