VN Ren'Py Looking for disney style character artist [Adult][Princess trainer: Jasmine]

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
We (Studio Danza) are Hiring Character artist(s) for our "Princess Trainer: Jasmine" game (An adult game)
Note: The project is renamed to 1001 now, and a whole lot is changed.

About our team:
You've probably never heard of "Studio Danza", but you might have seen me on this forum, goofing around and getting things wrong. Recently me and my business partner decided to dive in and make a series of point and click games starring Disney princesses and this is the name we've chosen for our growing team.
About our game:
The first game features Princess Jasmine but the game itself is about Jafar and the relatively unknown fish vendor from the bazaar (market place) exacting revenge on Aladdin and Jasmine. We are trying to keep the story short and rely on the gameplay to keep the player engaged.
Since the story and characters are famous and we have a demo you can check for the story, I'll keep this part short. But keep in mind that no matter what my partner says, this is not a sequel of Akabur's princess trainer. It's a different game with a different story and a similar name, but much better.

Filled Positions:
  • GUI designer
  • Programmer
  • Animator
  • Sound design
  • Advertising and web

Open positions:
  • Character artist(s) (is open now)
    Before applying, please check and see if you can draw the style and follow all of the instructions.
    We need around 50 drawings for the starting round.
  • Background artist(s) (is open now)
    Before applying please read the character artist guide first then for the background artist.
  • Icon artist (items, skills) (is open now)
  • Script Writer(s) (too early, will open later)
    The job consist of mostly going through the script, fixing the grammar and insert text tags. There might be some writing necessary.
  • Voice actors (too early, will open later)
  • Musician (too early, will open later)

The payment:
We have an initial budget to pay for the art and hopefully by the time we run out, the games patreon page will gain enough momentum to carry it's developer costs. The prices will be negotiated.
We can pay through paypal or cryptocurrencies whichever you choose and usually after each piece of art is delivered.

The project is open source and on GitHub:
Old version's GitHub:
And check for lots free posts on this project.

To apply, either leave a comment here, send a private message, contact me on discord: Kia#6810 or on skype "Kiaazad"
We do have a ,

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
This is perhaps one of the best-written posts I have ever seen for a new game team pitch!
I especially love the links to guides, I wish others could do this. It would save on so much time for the artists of the team (at least save the first awkward week of getting up to speed).

You most certainly have my attention.
I am busy until mid June, and even then, halfway through the summer I'll be busy with another job, so I doubt I could be reliable. I focus on character art most of the time, preferable 2D cartoon such as what you linked, but fairly competent with 3D and relative techniques. It takes about 8 hours for me to make a character (nude) from scratch to final pose and clean outline (no coloring yet). Since I haven't had the opportunity to work with an artist in the same field and at an equivalent level, I don't know if this is longer or shorter than normal (I'm actually an engineer, I work more as a technical artist for other teams sometimes). It takes about 24 to do nude, then clothes, layer organization, rigging, then maybe a basic animation or 2. Because of the time, at least with the artist I have talked to, both pro's and novice, getting paid a minimum wage for online work is not typical, as well as not feasible for most game making teams. A lot of the time people will come here with offers of revenue sharing, which I am alright with.

A few suggestions I would offer for your guide are:

1 even though you will be focusing on just getting line art for now, could you add more description to the art style. You mention Glen Keane, but for the most part that just covers his use of proportions, gesture lines, and line thickness. In the future, are there any goals for the shading you may want? I guess it wouldn't be hard to do after the lines are made (in fact that makes this a lot easier since just getting to the final lines is half the work), but sometimes I find I have to design characters, lines, and files in a particular way to accommodate for an issue I know will show up when a later affect needs to be applied when using certain techniques.

2 You mention needing 50 images, could you list out a few poses you are interested in, that way potential artist such as myself can make a drawing to show our skills, I find with a lot of my past project, the art no longer belongs to myself and thus I can not share all that I have done prior. Plus at my work rate, 8 hours per piece, it would take me 400 man hours to fill such an order, say I work 6 hours (due to school) and I limit it to 5 days a week (just to set the worst case scenario), that's about 2.5 months of work to complete. Again, maybe I'm just a slow one, but doing one image can show that it's not for a lack of skill.

3 Do you have a goal for the game screen size. my methods allow me to rescale my work without loss of quality but many artist tend to draw at 4 k so that they can scale down to most game sizes, but I also find that having that much resolution can warp your perspective of the drawing if you don't know how zoomed down the final piece will be. knowing your resolution is one tool you can use to do different art tricks when designing a piece. Ie having a line width that looks good for the resolution. Though, some images may be more zoomed in than others, ie the "theater formation" (called the "3 quarter" turn/pose) for poses and maybe a close up (thigh high) for possible cutscenes, face close.

As for background art. I don't get as much practice, a skill that focus mostly on painting and perspective, so I can't provide information like what my average time is. Nor do a have a go to technique for it yet, still playing around with blender 2D and 3D techniques to speed up art time.

just wanted to say your post was neat! :D

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
just wanted to say your post was neat! :D
Thank you, it's a result of my experience in the indie game industry.

About your availability, this is a big project and I have a feeling that we would be in need of good artists for a long time. Just hit me when you're done with other projects. You also mentioned some good points:
1- the shading would be relatively simple and cartoony. we have decided to go with a simpler style of disney due to our limited initial budget. however, we are prefer if the artists can bring their own flavor to the game as long as it doesn't become too time consuming and expensive.
2- for the poses, artists will be free to chose as long any pose as they fit the basics mentioned in the guide and spread them across a wide range of expressions.
3- the game screen size will be 1080, you'll be free to chose the size as long as the lines thickness stays consistent after scaling down the character to the screen size.

I'll make sure to add those in the guide

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
Update, we have our first artist onboard and we're in process of fitting his style to the game.

Alongside the paid roles, we have some minor roles you can take and do for free.
if you don't have drawing skills, yet you want to contribute to this project. we have work for you to do. there would be no money involved and all you'll get is a mention in the credits.

Icon artists:
we might be able to pay for this one later on, but at the moment, all of our budget goes to the art. you will be in charge of icons for the items, spells, skills, buffs, achievements and anything else with an icon.

Items, spells, skills, buffs and achievements creator:
we will have many items and (other things mentioned), in the game that need a small package of information. like a name, a description, effects and value. Your job would be thinking of those and writing them into the game.

Side characters creator:

We also have many side characters that need a name, a place, a list of items they carry or sell and other information about them.

Enemy creator:
Since it is possible to fight every character, side character or unit in the game, this one would be the same as side character creator with the difference that the focus would be on the unit's levels, skills and fighting style.

Other:
There's other places that need attention like adjusting the minigames, writing the book items content and writing the smaller events in the game.

Even if none of those interests you, you can join our discord server, for the times we need players opinion on something.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
If people do start volunteering for doing icons, it might be problematic if each one has a different style. Something that could help, now or in the future, is say have another document, that just hosts a collection of what you have gotten from people or already have. the idea is that others can look to the different things for inspiration for those that want it, maybe (hopefully) they pick to follow a style, and maybe more people start to mimic a certain style until eventually, the community ends up autonomously picking out a style for you.

I was going to check to see if you are using unity, so I would know if you could use button icons for pressed, normal, hover, and disabled, and I may try playing around with a theme template guide, to see if something could catch the feel of the game, I don't remember if you mentioned your engine but when I was searching your patreon I noticed you have 3 sponsors to help with the game's initial budget. That's pretty cool, I think. It shows not only an interest in starting, but the actually business initiative that could prove that this is a serious project (hopefully.) I don't know. But then the companies may not want you saying that they're sponsoring you until they know your project is something worthy.

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
it might be problematic if each one has a different style.
I'm hoping for one designer to take the lead and manage the icon styles, of course I'm already replacing the icons with free to use icons I've found here and there, but it would free lots of my time if the community can help with that.
as for the engine and idle/hover states: we're using Ren'py at the moment and we have idle/hover/selected_idle/selected_hover and insensitive states but I have a code to manage those and a single icon would be sufficient.
as for the sponsors, those 3 websites belong to the same company. we have only one sponsor.

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
We have two artists on board now and you can see some of their art on , The position is filled for now. we still welcome anything free though, from art to opinions, or don't, no pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: recreation

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
The character artist position is open now
The background artist position is open now
The icon (items and skills) designer position is open now

Deleted member 205331

Sep 15, 2017
We (Studio Danza) are Hiring Character artist(s) for our "Princess Trainer: Jasmine" game (An adult game)

About our team:
You've probably never heard of "Studio Danza", but you might have seen me on this forum, goofing around and getting things wrong. Recently me and my business partner decided to dive in and make a series of point and click games starring Disney princesses and this is the name we've chosen for our growing team.
About our game:
The first game features Princess Jasmine but the game itself is about Jafar and the relatively unknown fish vendor from the bazaar (market place) exacting revenge on Aladdin and Jasmine. We are trying to keep the story short and rely on the gameplay to keep the player engaged.
Since the story and characters are famous and we have a demo you can check for the story, I'll keep this part short. But keep in mind that no matter what my partner says, this is not a sequel of Akabur's princess trainer. It's a different game with a different story and a similar name, but much better.

Filled Positions:
  • GUI designer
  • Programmer
  • Animator
  • Sound design
  • Advertising and web

Open positions:
  • Character artist(s) (is open now)
    Before applying, please check and see if you can draw the style and follow all of the instructions.
    We need around 50 drawings for the starting round.
  • Background artist(s) (is open now)
    Before applying please read the character artist guide first then for the background artist.
  • Icon artist (items, skills) (is open now)
  • Script Writer(s) (too early, will open later)
    The job consist of mostly going through the script, fixing the grammar and insert text tags. There might be some writing necessary.
  • Voice actors (too early, will open later)
  • Musician (too early, will open later)

The payment:
We have an initial budget to pay for the art and hopefully by the time we run out, the games patreon page will gain enough momentum to carry it's developer costs. The prices will be negotiated.
We can pay through paypal or cryptocurrencies whichever you choose and usually after each piece of art is delivered.

Like I mentioned we have a very very early demo you can download for free in this patreon post:
And check the rest of for more free posts on this project.

To apply, either leave a comment here, send a private message or you can contact me on skype "Kiaazad"
We do have a , although the discord software messes with my computer, therefore, I usually keep it closed and check it every few days until more people join.
Why not hire AKABUR? I'm sure he'll be down if he's only doing art and not coding and stuff. Just approach him.

Reactions: KiaAzad

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
Why not hire AKABUR? I'm sure he'll be down if he's only doing art and not coding and stuff. Just approach him.
Starting studio like this had no money to hire high profile professional artist
They need to look for a new face that had to accept low budget or revenue shares with load of quality and work

Reactions: KiaAzad

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
I did contact Akabur years ago with an offer to improve his game for free, he wasn't interested in that and said he prefers to work alone.

Starting studio like this had no money to hire high profile professional artist
They need to look for a new face that had to accept low budget or revenue shares with load of quality and work
We do have a small budget to start with, but you're right about the quality and workload. The hold up isn't lack of artist, we have plenty of artists working with us on other projects, but for this one, I need the perfect art.
We had to reject many artists simply because the quality of their work didn't meet our high standards for the finished game, and the amount of work to be done is immense to the point that it's keeping many good artists away.
But that doesn't stop us, we are pushing forward and creating the game with placeholders, We will make the game and swap the art when we get the chance.

BTW, if you visit our patreon or discord, you'll find out we do have new, very talented people on board since I posted here.