Looking for help or advice on Ren'py issue.

Ricktor

Jun 13, 2017
I have been working on a VN in Ren'Py, and I had a couple of friends testing it out for me. The VN has several cutscenes in it. My problem is that many of the cut scenes got accidently skipped over because the reader is clicking fast through the dialogue. I don't want to make them unskippable, but I don't want them passed over accidently either. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you solve it. The ideal solution I am looking for is, a cutscene that will not be skipped over by flying through the script, but also leaves the reader the option to skip if they want. Is this even possible? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
you can try use but don't know if it's going to work because it is old

Python:
  show screen block_scr(persistent.video_1_seen, 5) # change 5 to the actual duration of your video in seconds
    $ renpy.movie_cutscene("video/how to make this unclickable.webm")
    $ persistent.video_1_seen = True
or you can try using hard pause for the length of video

if the video is 3 minutes add to the seconds like so

Python:
$ renpy.pause(180, hard=True)

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Make a screen with a skip button at the bottom corner or something, so the only way to skip it is to click the skip button. Dont make shit un skibbable it pisses ppl off, more so if they are playing through it again.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
[...] the cut scenes got accidently skipped over because the reader is clicking fast through the dialogue.

You're trying to solve a problem that will only occur during testing.

People who rapidly click are making a choice to skip dialogue without reading it. The consequence of that is that they might also skip cutscenes in the same way. The problem solves itself when people aren't rapidly skipping through the dialogue... which won't happen when people are playing the game in a "normal" way.

Those players also have rollback... They go sailing past a cutscene on accident... No problem... they can just rollback to just before it.

Any other solution you implement (like forced pauses) are going to annoy people.
As a player, I want to play a game how I want - even if sometimes that means skipping dialogue quickly (which in fairness, I only tend to do during testing or replaying a scene to choose another path).

Don't sweat it and don't try to fix it... it's not broken.

Ricktor

Jun 13, 2017
You're trying to solve a problem that will only occur during testing.

People who rapidly click are making a choice to skip dialogue without reading it. The consequence of that is that they might also skip cutscenes in the same way. The problem solves itself when people aren't rapidly skipping through the dialogue... which won't happen when people are playing the game in a "normal" way.

Those players also have rollback... They go sailing past a cutscene on accident... No problem... they can just rollback to just before it.

Any other solution you implement (like forced pauses) are going to annoy people.
As a player, I want to play a game how I want - even if sometimes that means skipping dialogue quickly (which in fairness, I only tend to do during testing or replaying a scene to choose another path).

Don't sweat it and don't try to fix it... it's not broken.
Thank you for the reply. I believe you are right. I definitely didn't want to put any forced pauses in or un-skippable content, I don't like it, so I must assume others don't as well. I guess ultimately the burden falls on me to make the dialogue interesting enough, people actually want to read it. I will take your advice and leave it alone but focus on making the dialogue as interesting as possible. Thank you for your time!