Looking for HowTo on making custom hair for G8

cricket-x

May 1, 2018
I'm starting to learn about Daz3d and a little about Blender. As a learning exercise, I've morphed the base g8 female model into a new shape with daz and blender (following a couple of youtube tutorials). I made new skin texture for her, she's starting to look good. Now I want to make hair for her. I'm having a hard time finding a youtube video/tutorial on how to make hair that would fit a daz3d g8 character.

I have tried the 'Strand Based Hair' stuff that exists in Daz3d. However, when I comb the hair back like I want it, the hair goes below the scalp. I cannot find a way to comb the hair so that it doesn't go below her scalp. It just looks bad. Maybe someone knows of a tutorial for using strand based hair option in Daz?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Have you tried looking at the daz3d.com forums?

cricket-x

May 1, 2018
Have you tried looking at the daz3d.com forums?
Thanks for the link! By browsing around there, I was able to find a good tutorial here:

Bottom line is that I can't just use the comb :) And if I do, I have to be very careful to not get too close to the scalp.

cricket-x

May 1, 2018
Being very careful I was able to get some hair that looks okay ... close to what I was going for. Looks like she just got out of the pool. There's still some bald areas but it's way better than what I had before.

hair.jpg

Next is to try and figure out how to make the hair an asset for the character.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Being very careful I was able to get some hair that looks okay ... close to what I was going for. Looks like she just got out of the pool. There's still some bald areas but it's way better than what I had before.
Nice work so far. I suspect the "bald spots" can be addressed by increasing the density of the hair.

Next is to try and figure out how to make the hair an asset for the character.
I haven't created hair before, but you might be wanting to create a "Wearable Preset." Again, the Daz Forums will be your best bet on this - there are people there who do this all the time, and will be happy to help.