Seeking Looking for Renpy games where you can rename alot of the characters

GamerGod76

Mar 26, 2020
Preferably non NTR games..enjoy most VNs,like harem games alot..looking for ones in the style of Thirsty for my guest,Sisterly Lust,Depraved Awakening,Heart Problems,Leap of Faith,Intertwined.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Well, you can always just open any renpy game folder, extract the .rpa files if needed and then do a replace all of any character name to the name you want.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Well, you can always just open any renpy game folder, extract the .rpa files if needed and then do a replace all of any character name to the name you want.
It's not a reliable solution.
99,99% of the time, when the characters aren't designed to be renamed, then their name are hardcoded in the dialogs lines. This obviously lead to a messed result where the character have the name you chosen when talking, but everyone refer to it by using the name decided by the author of the game.
It need an effective mod to rename a character that haven't been designed for this, because having to change every occurrences of every names before playing a new update is a pain in the ass.
And while it's probably not impossible to make a generic mod for this, it would also be a pain in the ass to do it.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
It need an effective mod to rename a character that haven't been designed for this, because having to change every occurrences of every names before playing a new update is a pain in the ass.
Not really that much of a pain, you just open the entire project with your favorite text editor and do a replace all in every file at once.

If nicknames are used like you mentioned then some inconsistencies will arise, but nothing another very quick replace with the nickname wouldn't fix again.

Now sure this could mess up some game variables depending on the character name, but in those cases you just have to roll back and do a case sensitive replace or even a regex replace instead.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Not really that much of a pain, you just open the entire project with your favorite text editor and do a replace all in every file at once.
As long as the said text editor accept RegEx and that you don't mess them, and after having extracted the rpy files from the rpa file(s), eventually having to run unrpyc, then having to looks at Ren'Py crashing once because it really have difficulties to deal with two sets of rpy(c) files at once (one in the rpa file(s) and one directly in the game directory).
This while you can do the same with a four lines long mod that will works with every updates.

Now sure this could mess up some game variables depending on the character name, but in those cases you just have to roll back and do a case sensitive replace or even a regex replace instead.
You need to use a RegEx for the replacement right from the start. Well, unless it don't bother you that every word containing "mom" (by example) will not contain "Sarah" instead.
Same for the case sensitive approach. I mean, of course it's your right to prefer the best friend to be called "Jo" instead of "Dick". But it's not really a turned on to hear a girl saying that she really want to feel your jo deep in her ass.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
But it's not really a turned on to hear a girl saying that she really want to feel your jo deep in her ass.
Honestly I'm not even sure why some people care about changing names.

Can it be done? yes.
Is it worth it? I guess it depends on how much you care.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Honestly I'm not even sure why some people care about changing names.
Well, for the MC I can understand since it help to self insert yourself, but past this...
You'll not give the name of your girlfriend or crush to one of the girl you'll defile in the game, right ? Personally past four/five girls I tend to give them totally stupid names ; and I mean really stupid ones, among the line of "horibilis" or "dirty whore", depending of my first feeling.

• Haha
Reactions: Meaning Less