Ren'Py Looking for some help with Ren'py - can't get it to do what I need

Rystvalya

Aug 24, 2019
So I want to develop a game and I actually made a 'demo' and for the most part it worked but its both clunky and not lacking certain functionality I want. I've sen things like this before those some have been in Unity or other engines. Here is the basic premise of the game:

VN/CYOA with minigame where a Female MC down on her luck is recruited into a competition (the minigames) where wins and losses can effect her stats and money. She can use the money to better her life, improve her looks with new clothes (character customization) and pursue relationships with her competitors. The minigames also effect the overall outcome because as wins get you higher stats and money, losses cost you stats and sexual favors.

I made a very basic card match game and I've developed some basic character sprites and it works but its just so 'crude' I want this to be better, but to do so I need to figure out how to:
  • make a minigame that can be repeated but with different NPC's and cutscenes
  • change outfits that will effect stats but also remain scene to scene until changed
If anyone can assist me in figuring out what I'm doing wrong and need to do to fix it that would be fantastic.
If this launches and I develop a patreon I'm also up for a Rev share if you want to help out long term

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
If anyone can assist me in figuring out what I'm doing wrong and need to do to fix it that would be fantastic.
That's a fairly big ask, although obviously you've dangled some bait. One question - have you looked on the Ren'py forums for posts about minigames? There are quite a few people there who have posted re-usable code which you might possibly adapt, as opposed to starting from scratch.

Reactions: Rystvalya

Harihoes

May 31, 2017
There is a section on the renpy forum called "cookbook" where you can find works like these already done so you might have only need to copy and paste. link on spoiler if you want it.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.