[R>Artist 2D] [R>Artist 3D] [R>Programmer] [R>Writer] Looking to start a new adventure with gaming

Mayhem Fall

Dec 21, 2020
Hey there!

My name is Mayhem Fall and i would like to start a new game. I do not have any experience in this area, however I am willing to learn.

Please message on this thread.

Many thanks!

Last edited:

Deleted member 609064

May 11, 2018
Read. And play games, while reading the reviews and comments to understand what is good and what is not.

Learn from the results and feedback of others.

Emulation and observation are superb and superior learning tools.

Reactions: Mayhem Fall

Mayhem Fall

Dec 21, 2020
Read. And play games, while reading the reviews and comments to understand what is good and what is not.

Learn from the results and feedback of others.

Emulation and observation are superb and superior learning tools.
Thank you very much for your words of wisdom! Will keep that in mind.

Neptunius

Apr 25, 2020
Creating a game is a huge project. You are going to spend tens of hours without the feeling of any progress. The only way how to preserve is by working on something you like. Don't do a game you think people will enjoy, do a game you would enjoy. If it is good, people with similar taste to yours will find it.

Decide the theme of the game: which feeling should players have while playing it. Now decide the type of the game (platformer, VN, rpg...), think about which gimmicks you want the game to have. With gimmicks, I mean in-game mechanics, music, art style, story, dialogues, etc. All gimmicks should support the theme of the game, if it doesn't, think twice if you need it. Don't add too many features to the game, or you will never complete it.

What are your strengths and weaknesses? Are you familiar with art, programming, story writing? Start with what you are the most familiar, it is much easier to recruit people to a project which already has some content, than to a new, blank project.

Mayhem Fall

Dec 21, 2020
Creating a game is a huge project. You are going to spend tens of hours without the feeling of any progress. The only way how to preserve is by working on something you like. Don't do a game you think people will enjoy, do a game you would enjoy. If it is good, people with similar taste to yours will find it.

Decide the theme of the game: which feeling should players have while playing it. Now decide the type of the game (platformer, VN, rpg...), think about which gimmicks you want the game to have. With gimmicks, I mean in-game mechanics, music, art style, story, dialogues, etc. All gimmicks should support the theme of the game, if it doesn't, think twice if you need it. Don't add too many features to the game, or you will never complete it.

What are your strengths and weaknesses? Are you familiar with art, programming, story writing? Start with what you are the most familiar, it is much easier to recruit people to a project which already has some content, than to a new, blank project.
Thank you!

I can draw a bit.(only on paper) The main reason I thought about trying this adventure is because I haven't seen any games that depict what i really want. Majority are not done/finished or some have so much more to be added if completed.(In my opinion, it may not be the case)

But as I said before I do not have any experience in this area. I really do appreciate your input on the matter. Helps me think and it gives me a guideline to work with. Thank you again!

Mayhem Fall

Dec 21, 2020
The lack of finished games is no doubt due to two things, firstly the difficulty of making a game, secondly and the trouble with getting a bunch of people on the internet to keep working together long enough to make, or finish a game.
Those two areas of concern really do sound troublesome. Are there any ways to resolves these? and is it possible to work on or redo an abandoned game?

Neptunius

Apr 25, 2020
Those two areas of concern really do sound troublesome. Are there any ways to resolves these?
DETERMINATION - lots of it

and is it possible to work on or redo an abandoned game?
As long as you have the engine in which the game is created and the unpacked version of the game, you should be able to modify it. I know how to unpack flash games and games created in rpgmaker. As long as the game uses a popular engine, it should be unpackable, though. If it isn't, you must ask the game developer.

The problem is with publishing a game created this way. You might want to ask the game developer for permission.

If I may ask, which games are you interested in redoing?

RoboticRevolt

Feb 4, 2020
Well it's possible, how feasible it would be depends on a number of factors, as the person above mentioned. If it's easy to decompile and get the assets, or of original creator left the assets somewhere for people to use then you'd have a chance. Although with abandoned games the original creator may not take to kindly to you working on their game, and it maybe hard to contact the creator of an abandoned game to get permission.

• Thinking Face

Mayhem Fall

Dec 21, 2020
DETERMINATION - lots of it

As long as you have the engine in which the game is created and the unpacked version of the game, you should be able to modify it. I know how to unpack flash games and games created in rpgmaker. As long as the game uses a popular engine, it should be unpackable, though. If it isn't, you must ask the game developer.

The problem is with publishing a game created this way. You might want to ask the game developer for permission.

If I may ask, which games are you interested in redoing?
Sorry for the late reply, I had to check out the Abandoned games. Never looked through them before as it never intrigued me before yesterday. After looking at the many pages of games a few i liked the artwork but was later disappointed by the user interface(I think that's what you call it). Some I loved the concept of the game or the story behind it but the art was not to my liking. The only one that I would say I truly liked was the below game:

Mother Load(reminds me of MilfyCity)

Of course I would need the permission from the Developer. Would not sit well with me if I worked on another man's work without him knowing and agreeing. The only reason I thought of the Abandoned games was because you said it's "easier to recruit people to a project which already has some content"

Thank you very much my friend!

lostraven

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2017
There are two main things needed to make a game.

The first thing, is determination and vision. Without a plan, you are flying blind, and nothing will stop you falling on your face.

The second thing, (Dependent on the scale of a project) is money.

You can negotiate, work out deals, and if you're lucky and have the talent for it, cover some of the costs by doing some of the legwork (art/programming etc) yourself.

But you can guarantee people will expect payment in some form or another. Want an original soundtrack? You'll probably need to hire a musician, Strong artist? Voice actors? A programmer? A writer? Editor? All will cost you.

You'll very quickly find the bill can start to mount if you aren't careful.

If you can save up some cash to help fund the project, or find a business partner who will agree to share the costs. You'll find that burden lessened and a lot more doors opened up.

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
Time is also a major factor in game development. Are you ready for thousands of hours of work for free or practically nothing?

Mayhem Fall

Dec 21, 2020
There are two main things needed to make a game.

The first thing, is determination and vision. Without a plan, you are flying blind, and nothing will stop you falling on your face.

The second thing, (Dependent on the scale of a project) is money.

You can negotiate, work out deals, and if you're lucky and have the talent for it, cover some of the costs by doing some of the legwork (art/programming etc) yourself.

But you can guarantee people will expect payment in some form or another. Want an original soundtrack? You'll probably need to hire a musician, Strong artist? Voice actors? A programmer? A writer? Editor? All will cost you.

You'll very quickly find the bill can start to mount if you aren't careful.

If you can save up some cash to help fund the project, or find a business partner who will agree to share the costs. You'll find that burden lessened and a lot more doors opened up.
Thank you!

I see that I will need to really think hard on this. To create a plan to move forward and make funds available.

Also is there a way to sponsor a game that is already in the making? (Other than paying on Patreon)

On another note, I see you have Taffy Tales on your comment. That was actually my first game that I started playing.

Are you a developer for that game? If so I would like to say a job well done!

lostraven

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2017
Thank you!

I see that I will need to really think hard on this. To create a plan to move forward and make funds available.

Also is there a way to sponsor a game that is already in the making? (Other than paying on Patreon)

On another note, I see you have Taffy Tales on your comment. That was actually my first game that I started playing.

Are you a developer for that game? If so I would like to say a job well done!
Yeah, I write on Taffy Tales, Amity Park, Breeding Farm etc. I'm all over the place.

To sponsor a game? Well if you're a dev with his own game you can do shout outs, crossovers etc. The limit is the imagination.

Mayhem Fall

Dec 21, 2020
Yeah, I write on Taffy Tales, Amity Park, Breeding Farm etc. I'm all over the place.

To sponsor a game? Well if you're a dev with his own game you can do shout outs, crossovers etc. The limit is the imagination.
Awesome!

Crossovers sound really cool. What games have crossovers so far?