Daz Looking To Upgrade Video Card

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
So like the title says, over the next couple of weeks, I'm going to be looking to upgrade my desktop's video card (Dell G5 5090 with a GeForce RTX 2060). The desktop is just over a year old (bought it in December 2019 and its recently been upgraded to 48gb ram)

So a couple of things.
- I'm not looking at the 30 series or equivalents. Its not that I can't break the bank, but my workplace is closed at the moment and I'm on limited pay. Also, I can't justify myself paying over €1000 for a component.
- While I'd most likely go for a GeForce Nvidia card, are there alternatives I could consider?
- Should I save my money because the 2060 is still a decent enough card and it does the job?

Any insights and recommendations would be welcomed.
Thanks.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Yeah the 2060 is still a decent card.
I'd wait to upgrade right now. As long as the 30 series is near impossible to buy the second hand market for the 20 & 10 series will also still be relatively expensive. As soon as the 30 series becomes properly available a lot of people will be looking to dump their video card to upgrade and the market price for second hand cards will go down.
When upgrading I'd prioritize video memory over render speed since that is what I am running out of constantly (but that might just be me). So If I had to choose between a 3060 and a 2070 or so I'd prefer the 2070 (there is obviously a limit. I wouldn't go below a 10 series card).
There are some risks buying a second hand card so check out the tips some of the tech channels have done (LTT J2C GN etc) so you won't get ripped off.

Reactions: Evil13

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I have a 2060 it's great but with limits it can handle 3 to 5 character at a time 6 is pushing it

if you buying a new one I suggest to stick with well known store only in your area and stay away from site like Ebay and amazon here in canada we have newegg that's where I buy my computer components from but buying a new video card right now is going to be hard

Amer127963

Jan 26, 2021
The 3060 (and upper) are out of stock everywhere in the world unfortunately (except in buildin coputer maybe?), we'll need to wait for them to restock and hopefully that the prices will not be higher than before.... ! *waiting since november... !*

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Looks like the RTX 3090 is available on Newegg... for $2800. I was barely willing to spend $1500 for one, no way in hell am I paying nearly twice that. Hopefully the price actually does go down at some point.

• Angry

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
Looks like the RTX 3090 is available on Newegg... for $2800. I was barely willing to spend $1500 for one, no way in hell am I paying nearly twice that. Hopefully the price actually does go down at some point.
You do realise I said that I can't spend over €1000 for just one component, right?

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
You do realise I said that I can't spend over €1000 for just one component, right?
Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest you should actually buy that... Just pointing out how absurd the market is at the moment.

E_O_N

Creator of Winter Warmth & Karma
Game Developer
Jan 31, 2021
Palumbra gave you the fitting advice in this case. Try to get a 3060. Even if you buy a more expensive card later on, you can put it in the second slot for an extra boost.