Lost my render cherry - My first render ...

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
So, I guess it's a right of passage to post your first ventures into this fun hobby, so here is my first full render, which I did yesterday.

I'm a 100% noob with Daz and I fucked with this scene most of the day, lol. I get so much rigid learning in my chosen career that when I do hobbies on the computer, like this, I tend to learn 'asymmetrically'. So, I'll chase those squirrals down the rabbit hole and learn some advance methods, before I even know how to set up the preferences. Anyhow, I consider this a success for a first attempt, not so much because of the render itself, but from what I learned yesterday.

• I learned how to do a fresh install of DAZ without that stupid Daz connect and with all custom locations -not- on my C drive (Why do software geniuses keep trying to force us to install shit on our OS drives?!)
  • I learned how to install an asset using DIM
  • I learned how to install an asset manually (and more importantly, find it after!)
  • I learned how to use poses
  • I learned how to change those poses because they don't quite work (lol)
  • I learned how to use the ActivePose tool (getting Inaru on the bike)
  • I learned how to use the sliders to pose (fitting those hands on the controls, finger by finger)
  • I learned how to use Pins to hold her damn feet down and keep her ass in the saddle!
  • I learned how to apply both Smart Content wardrobe and also other assets
  • I learned how to apply hair
  • I learned (first steps!) how to play with the hierarchy of scene content to link assets together (Inaru to motorcycle)
  • I downloaded and installed MeshGrabber and learned how to use it (had to make boots to fit over jeans) - Seriously, the dev of this plugin deserves to have some annual VN award named after him or something... this app is amazing!
  • I learned how to set up cameras and nulls and have my character's head and eyes follow them
  • I also learned how this f'ing program has a bug where if you delete a camera then make a new one, the POINT AT command will glitch - unless - you first select each node separately and first select POINT TO NONE then go back and select the camera (or null). I wasted two hours on that one - GRRrrr....
  • I learned how it sucks to be poor and how CPU rendering blows! (btw, all cryptominers should burn in hell!)
  • I learned how to apply HDRI backgrounds and lighting.

I still haven't dived into all the other lighting options yet. It was 2am before I rendered this and I was burnt. While I wait for the GPU's to drop in price, I'll continue to gather assets and learn the basics of DAZ.

Btw, this scene is 1080p and took 1:40 hours on CPU, since I only have a cheap ass 2GB GT 1030 right now. It's an unmodified
Inaru by bluejaunte on a vintage motorcycle from the Daz store. It's using one of the stock HDRI backgrounds for lighting and scene content. I've read some good tips on optimizing renders and I am going to play with them and time the results. So, hopefully, when I finally can get an 8-12GB GPU, I'll be able to knock out renders nice and fast.

Inaru_test_render.jpg