VN - Ren'Py - Lyla's Curse [v0.1.52] [Voodoo Monkey]

1. 5.00 star(s)

rafaellos

WOW that was way better than expected. The sock is a total chad carrying this game. I completed everything in this game and I'm looking forward to new updates.
    Art 4.5/5
    Story 4.5/5
    Gameplay 4/5
    Fapability 4.5/5
    Originality 5/5
  2. 2.00 star(s)

Fidzius

[v0.1.52]
    It's all blackmail and extortion, there's minimal decision-based corruption.

I feel misled, a blackmail tag is necessary, a male domination one optionally- it's practically the premise (paying back for the piercings).

I also dislike every character including the protagonist.

The 2 stars are because the visuals are good and there's lots of story details, even if the story feels coercive.

Not a bad game, just one that needs a better description of the situation of how a careless Elf becomes everyone's bitch without choice.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

swiezak1988

After playing through all story in v0.1.5.2 I really like this game and I look forward to play it when updates will roll out. Game is done in Akabur's spirit, but it is not a trainer game. It is mostly the story and characters that are mischevious or dorky around Lyla, so she gets into more and more trouble, but her corruption goes slowly and with her consent. It is acquired taste to like some of the art in the game, but I liked it more and more as the story progressed.
  4. 3.00 star(s)

♍VoidTraveler

Basically a trainer likely inspired by Akabur, what's of note:
    *Buggy.
    *Little content.
    *A bit repetitive background music.
    *Notable art style, i like it.
    *Story ain't anything to write home about.

Rather disappointing overall considering this thing is 5 years in development already.
    I think the dev is just milking it. :whistle::coffee:

================================================v0.1.47
  5. 5.00 star(s)

bigdog_69

Really unique and well made game, loving the artwork and progression in this game. The corruption happens at a pretty good pace, and the game is easy to play.

I look forward to seeing more characters and features.

Would like the ability to change nipple piercings throughout the game.
  6. 2.00 star(s)

Amte

I really wish to give it at least 3 stars but it burns down too much heart.
    Obviously it's been in development for a great time but I don't care about that - I appreciate unique style and an own vision, as long as it grows.
    In this connection, the artstyle and relatively simple setup makes you immediately care for Lyla. In the beginning, I was quite surprised the developer managed to introduce correct personality structure while at the same time establishing an erotic encounter without sacrificing said structure. This is something that happens rather rarely in this industry and thereof makes you look forward to a Lyla who comes across such situations without ever losing her integrity or the sympathy of the player.
    The hallway picture is lovely as well but much goes downhill here and there, in my taste.

First of all, the school setting is rushed and you don't really care about it. I'm not saying there was no thought behind it, however, there was no real lure for the player to follow a character's normal daily routine or personal matters. Although I understand the importance of safe spaces or plot, I also assume we all approach a game in regards of erotism which could have been carefully used here to keep everything vibrant, not even necessarily directed towards Lyla. A believable/humane normalization of sexuality would also open up possibilities to set Lyla up to more erotic situations without having to repeat the same forceful conquest over and over again ("HELL NO!...........ok") or make her lose soul every time it happens. You can degrade someone strong and confident through her own, believable choices that fit real personality traits, it just has to be the right dynamic. The choice to make herself admit her inner slut is obviously an easy one from a design standpoint, yet cheap and less exciting which will eventually lead your focus more onto any (boring) action than fueling atmosphere.
    Be that as it may, the school remains an essential part of the plot so I think it deserves more (erotic) build-up anyway that can even implement a motivation within the player: Make me care about characters or structures in there, and I will share Lyla's need to go back. Of course, what I'm overall implying here could be another theme or far-fetched regarding the game's current state, but a healthy direction nonetheless.

The dialogue is sometimes okay and bearable (that's good) with its own little plays. On the other hand, characters' obvious stances or explanations are at times tediously formulated. I personally don't mind font alteration, capitalization, etc..
    Apart from that, naturally, the more character customization the better so I like the single option that is available.

Unfortunately, a few software errors occurred every now and then.

To provide a quick all in all, the personalities of both Sock and Lyla seem static since possibilities of plot are disregarded. What you display here is a situation that derives from one problem of the protagonist which is not enough to hold me in a universe for long, let alone make me care for a foreseeable outcome.
    Regardless, I care for the character and her parents, wish both the best and thank you for the layout of your vision that you already accomplished to express.
  7. 3.00 star(s)

ElBandarra

Version 0.1.43
    I found this game interesting until I knew that its development started in 2017. After two years this game is still kind of a demo plenty of bugs and placeholders... Not promising, at all.
    The art could be better. Sometimes, the same characters look cute, sometimes look awful. For example, sometimes the MC looks like a teenager (it´s supposed to be a teenager), sometimes she looks like 40 y.o.
    Story is funny enough, dialogues are decentily written and some jokes are good and the lewd part is not terribly forced. The themes of corruption and humilliation are OK. Again, not terribly forced. The fact the story happens into a lighthearted cartoon fantasy world for sure helps. It´s easy to write stories into that kind of world since plausability is not needed.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

lkjrejkleljsdcpopor

This one is going in the right direction, and now I just have to avoid playing it until it's had some time to cook. So far so good.

I generally avoid 'Elves' and 'Fantasy' but don't mind it if it's just setting to allow magic for some plot device.
  9. 1.00 star(s)

wiselord

This game is broken at the moment, renpy errors on half the scenes. Which is only about 2. Yes that right there is only really 4 sex scenes in the game, which has been in development for over 2 years. The game plays like it has been worked on for about two months. How has this game been in development longer than some completed games on this site, and still have less content than some 0.01 games that will be released this year.

The art is ok, not amazing, but ok, but it is fairly inconsistant, some renders look good others, don't really look very nice, and this is just about the protag.
    The story is not very fleshed out, even though it has had the time to be much more expansive than what it is now. What is here is fine, but, somehow suffers from being rushed but also being fairly short. you can get to the end of content in about half an hour.

The game would be average at this point had the story been developed more, at this point, as two years is plenty of time for the game to be at least a quater of the way done, where as this looks like it has only been developed for a few months

There are many games that started in 2017 that are now finished, yet this game seems like it has barely even started development

The main problem is that the game is bairly playable at the moment due to the bugs, as well as design oversights, E.g: when the player is offered the key element of the game, they can study their last spell before, which makes it impossible to continue the game.

I can't really say how it could be improved at this point as it is going to be hard for me to give it any higher rating, due to how little content is in the game, and how much time has passed since the game started development. All I can say to the dev team is put much more time into the game, what you are putting in now is insufficient, and actually get the story going
  10. 1.00 star(s)

Terablock

the art is ok, the concept is good but the devs are not able to develop further the story and the game, that is 2 years old and do not have almost any content in it (5 minutes or less of playthrough). More than a game it seems to me just a concept demo: I don't think it will be developed furthermore, I'm sure that sooner or later it will be dropped. Updated to version 1.4.2: the game is broken by bugs and errors and almost unplayable: still, there is very little content... or maybe there is more but is hard to say because of the afore mentioned bugs . So I decreased the rating to just one star.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Jentle

The art is good enough to be pleasant and yet scribbly enough to be aesthetic. The story is fun and her relationship with sock is funny, kind of like the wind's disciple game. Sexual situations aren't over the top and the game teases you. I love the pacing of the sexual content.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Ankhesenamun

• Funny storyline;
    • Lewdness doesn't take long to come;
    • Good art;
    • Several animations, sexual and non-sexual;
    • Immersive world;
    • Legitimate plot;
    • Game feels "alive" in contrast with the average stale 3DCG Ren'py stuff;
    • Variety of outfits and/or modifications of those.

• Subjective: The world is lewd, but not hyper-sexualized, which is a great balance in my personal preference.

• Subjective: Overambitious? My personal skepticism from seeing many games this detailed being abandoned makes me fear for the future of Lyla's Curse. Let's see how it stands against the test of time, frustration and fatigue.
  13. 4.00 star(s)

deluges

It's an awesome game that's been worked on for nearly two years and has very little sexual content.

It's hilarious, has an interesting story, looks beautiful, there's awesome (dysfunctional) chemistry between Lyla and Sock, the game's animated and the grammar is mostly great, but I'm not sure the dev will be able to get this to a satisfying place anywhere in the near future, which is a bummer. Making games like this is ambitious, but surely a ton of work.

I would give it three stars because it's lacking in sexual content, but it definitely has the foundation to one day build up to the kind of five star game that other folks have called it, so I'll split the difference and say four.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

SentryAl

Nice game, funny jokes, also real drawn graphics, i hate that mosly all other games now have same pictures from 3d generated models, respect to this dev! I hope this game will continue further corruption of Lyla soon.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

aimey

Actually lots of fun. Very polished and developer seems to be working on it at a constant rate.

Art style is very cool too and definitely has a lot of room for growth so looking forward to what else is to come.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

HolyMolly

Short Preview: Surprisingly good game so far: evrything is very polished: the art style/story/characters are original and well done, it's well animated, it's not grindy, there is a good sense of humor, a touch of cute things. Lyla's Curse is kind of game that have a soul, something very rare actually especially for an adult game.

You should definetely give it a go, it's 100% worth it, it's the game with the most potential out there imo.

Big shoutout to the develloper, I wish you great luck :)
  17. 5.00 star(s)

pcg50

funny game , so far , you know it's something great when the writing is good enough you're just reading it for entertainment and not to masturbate

i think there should be a bad ending when you hit the headmaster enough he dies
  18. 5.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs... The version this review is based on is v0.1.1...

Originally Reviewed on 01/01/2018

This one is definitely a farcical comedy but with an adult twist...

The visuals are 2D hand drawn, and although slightly rough looking, they befit the sarcastic humor and slapstick comedy of the story... I've seen some better hand drawn characters, but the ones in this visual novel/game are decent enough and creative...

The script looked well proofread, and flowed well... The story takes place in, what looks like, more of a modern setting, but with a fantasy theme... With the female elf protagonist starting off as a student in a witch/wizard university, along with her perverted familiar in the form of a floating male sock doll (which just so happens to have a flesh wiener, which was a bit disturbing)... As part of the comedic twist, the sock brings her a piece of cursed clothing, and from there her whole world changes... There are several moments in the prologue (the only part done in this early version), where there are erotic scenes with a comedy twist... The only one that felt a bit disgusting was the overly lengthy BJ at the end... Long story short, she is cursed with not being able to cast spells, gets kicked out of school, and this is where the prologue ends... The author/s hint that it will become an open world game after that, which I can only assume means the game will become either an adventure game, or perhaps a day/time grind game with different locations? No telling at this moment...

Overall, there is a lot of tongue-in-cheek moments, some trash humor, as well as sexual comedy in this VN/Game... The fact that it is an almost traditional magic fantasy story but in a modern setting, is both unique and creative... The prologue itself shows the type of humor and direction the author plans to go with, in the story, but it doesn't 100% clue you in on how the game play will actually operate... I do get the feeling it will be more adventure game like, but we'll have to wait and see... I'll have to check back with this VN/game, once it gets a couple versions into it's development, to see the actual game play going forward, and do an updated review then... It shows some promise, but I just hope it doesn't go too far with the disgusting stuff... Gross scenes are not always funny... It would be like a really long fart joke, which may start off somewhat funny, but gets tiresome and disgusting, quickly if over done...
  19. 5.00 star(s)

Bob Jakes

For a first release it certainly starts well, whilst only giving the prologue it shows a good sense of humour, an above average art style and a very enjoyable couple of sexual scenes already. I might be slightly biased as I prefer female protagonists in these kind of games but oh well. I certainly look forward to future releases.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

rhev

This is a version 1.01 initial release?!

I love this game. The art style is wonderful. The flat cell shading gives it a charming look that meshes well with the unique characters which feel quite interesting and only lightly remind you of a certain series of childrens novels and their magical students / school. But otherwise they seem to remain firmly away from any cliches. The writing is excellent and there is an absolute ton of coding for such an early release.

Well worth the pick up as it's got more content then some games I've played which have had 6 months worth of revisions. I look forwards to watching this one grow.