Made misstake, lost 12 hour 4K render!?

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
This did just happen:

-DAZ finished 4K background render
-image was saved to "C:\Dropbox\Render Library\bg cloth store checkout.png" (C: drive is a SSD)
-DropBox was not running at that time because I needed bandwidth for other things
-opened the image using Gimp to make a little edit
-exported it so that it saves over the same image

The mistake:
I had a channel selected in Gimp so the image would show normal but it would only save the channel for my selection. I closed Gimp already. The image is now just black an white for the from the channel. Obviously this does not count as 'delete' so the Recycle Bin is empty too. The 'last render' thing in DAZ in gone too, I did already render the next image while editing in Gimp.

I am not aware of a way to restore this. I guess I have to wait 12 hours again!? *Insert random curses here*

Somebody hand me a whip for my poor 760 GTX ...:FeelsBadMan:

Edit: I did re-render the scene now, it's all good now. Just wasted a lot of time with this mistake.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Nope, you're boned. Rule #1 - always do your post work on a copy, not the original.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
12hrs that would drive me insane... i really almost always do no more than 3hrs or so.. My animation took 6hrs and that was long enough. Then again i do not do 4k but rather 1080p

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
12hrs that would drive me insane... i really almost always do no more than 3hrs or so.. My animation took 6hrs and that was long enough. Then again i do not do 4k but rather 1080p
Well, 4K is 4x the pixels of 1080p - sooo 4 x 3 hours = 12 hours....! maybe he is not so insane :)

pystudios

Ninja By Sea
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
Well, 4K is 4x the pixels of 1080p - sooo 4 x 3 hours = 12 hours....! maybe he is not so insane :)
Hmmm 1080p render takes me about 4 minutes... You need a CUDA capable video card and/or more memory as my computer is a 9 year old MacPro and worse case would be a very low light scene may take about 30 minutes to render for me but I try and avoid those by using blue lights and photoshop as a 30 min render to me is insane.

D

Dr PinkCake

Hmmm 1080p render takes me about 4 minutes... You need a CUDA capable video card and/or more memory as my computer is a 9 year old MacPro and worse case would be a very low light scene may take about 30 minutes to render for me but I try and avoid those by using blue lights and photoshop as a 30 min render to me is insane.
Can you post an example of what 1080p render takes 4 minutes so I can gauge your quality? I'm concerned that I'm missing a cruical setting if you manage to do that so fast.
I have a 1080 Ti and it can take 1-2 hours reaching 98% convergence at 720p. I never get under 5 minutes unless it is an outdoor scene with one or two models.
For instance, the attached image took me 1h 30min. example.png

pystudios

Ninja By Sea
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
Sure
Before photoshop... see makeup line on upper neck. Also poke through on shorts...

pystudios

Ninja By Sea
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
Question then... How much memory do you have? The more the better, 2 characters plus scene can use over 10Gb by the end of the render so you'll need twice that and more characters means more memory, I suggest 64 or 128GB. Your 1080Ti only has 11Gb so sys RAM becomes very important quickly.

pystudios

Ninja By Sea
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
Another trick to lighting is hide or delete anything not in the scene like the ceiling, roof, other walls, body parts or clothing that isn't in the scene, etc... The walls and roof being gone will allow more outside light to come in and speed up the rendering time while helping to light up your scene.

pystudios

Ninja By Sea
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
I have some really nice ones but they were done with 2 or three overlays each taking a few minutes each to do and then pieced together but none altogether more than 12 ~ 15 minutes to do.

D

Dr PinkCake

Yes I feared that my 16GB RAM could affect the rendering. I really should double up on it.
I agree on removing other props etc, but I wouldn't remove walls/roof as they are used to bounce lighting around. Sure it will take more time doing it that way but the result is far more better in the cases I've tried. Thanks for the input! I know what I'll be purchasing next paycheck. :)

Reactions: pystudios

pystudios

Ninja By Sea
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
Yes I feared that my 16GB RAM could affect the rendering. I really should double up on it.
I agree on removing other props etc, but I wouldn't remove walls/roof as they are used to bounce lighting around. Sure it will take more time doing it that way but the result is far more better in the cases I've tried. Thanks for the input! I know what I'll be purchasing next paycheck. :)
Yeah at least go for 32GB!

pystudios

Ninja By Sea
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017

Various lighting including low lighting but done with overlays, blue light and pieced together. Oh and all but one was converted back from webp to jpeg so I'm not sure how it affected quality???????

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
The second image of your last post looks weird with the light. The table seems to have no shadow. Somehow the depth is missing in this image. The others are good. There may be some white-clipping but not to bad.

I'd kill for a 1080 ti or a better system in general.

This is what I'm working with:
-Core i7-2600k @4,2Ghz (can do 4,7 but I cannot afford to rip it and the voltage doesn't look to good at the max OC, these CPUs are known to die from extreme OCs)
-12 GB DDR3 (2x4 GB DDR3 Corsair +2x2 GB noname, where one 4 GB module no longer runs stable at the specified XMP 1600 Mhz speed)
-GeForce GTX 760 2GB
Biggest limitation here is the 2 GB VRAM and DAZ falling back to CPU rendering unless I optimized the scene-textures to fit into the VRAM.
At least the system is rocksolid stable and it is running 24/7.

I tried to get some cheap old DDR3 RAM from Ebay once, but did not get it. But then again ... it is not really worth it for a system that old. 12 GB RAM isn't nearly enough, the system is swapping a lot.

... reaching 98% convergence
I hate that automatic quality option in DAZ and always turn it off. I hate it because as far as I know there is no way to continue the render if the image-quality is not good enough at the end ... so full restart and wait again in that case.

D

Dr PinkCake

I hate that automatic quality option in DAZ and always turn it off. I hate it because as far as I know there is no way to continue the render if the image-quality is not good enough at the end ... so full restart and wait again in that case.
Yes, if it's a render that takes very long time it truly sucks to have it stop too early. But if you, like me, queue up hundreds of renders at the same time nothing is more frustrating than a render taking >2 hours because I missed some setting that limits the ray tracing. I rather redo a few renders than not making sure that DAZ spits out images constantly. I usually do the settings 98% convergence, 10000 samples, unlimited time. Some images only converge to 80-ish% at times for 10k samples, but then the lighting probably wasn't optimal either way.

I'd probably not use it this way if I didn't have a 1080 Ti. I feel for you. I don't know anything about your financial situation and I don't want to push a sore spot, but you can get a better graphics card quite cheap compared to the 1080 Ti.