Main story or independent heroine stories

Mr. Mayhem

Apr 14, 2019
I’m making a game and I was going to have no Main storyline or main quest and just have a introduction opening and then have the rest free roam where the MC romances the girls and they would have their own storylines. So my question is that is it important for an adult game to have a main story with the girl storylines or are the girl storylines by themselves good enough where people will play it. If anyone can give their opinion that would be great.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Date sims like that don't need a main story.

I have played both kinds with a basic plot that starts it off then branches off into the girls stories and one overall arc and just pick a girl to go through it with.

Both work it just depends on the writer really.

I would say it's harder to do one with the girls having the story because you need several different stories rather than 1 main.

A decent example would be the Ramen game. The plot is a guy is given a Ramen shop to run and that it. You then decide what Ramen you'll make and that's the girl you pick and she has her own story. The central plot of the Ramen store is the same but the story arc is the girls.

Magical Marriage Lunatics is another. Central plot is as a kid he travelled to parallel dimensions and made marriage pacts with a few monster girl princesses and his childhood friend. You get to a point where you pick a girl and it branches off into her story.

Princess Evangile has one overall storyline and the girl you end up with is based on choices made. The plot remains pretty much the same regardless just the endings change.

Both work well it just depends on how confident you are in your ability to keep people interested in multiple playthroughs for all girls with 1 plot line and how confident you are to do multiple storylines with branching paths.