Making a Game and testing my skills.

kaelarch

May 23, 2018
Hello! I am a recently or going to graduate CPE student and looking for ways to improve or even make a story as a hobby seeing that all the games I played here it made me think with all the time i have I could try making a game as a hobby.

First I have an idea to make a first game but seeing as I lack experience and skills I would basically then just be trying to opt to make a text - based game. I like to see myself as a capable reader and hope to put it into writing. Most of the time my imagination makes me think of worlds or fantastical stories that although may lack originality seems to be a lot since I also day dream a lot. This way I could try putting or at least improving my writing skills to use. Though I guess I could try applying for some people in creating content or at least make a creation of something.

Well though I have a few skills and recently graduated or going to graduate in computer engineering so I am capable of programming some C++, java, php, html. Though I don't have experience with renpy or unity but might try exploring them. Any ideas if renpy is a good place to just make a text based game for a start or other types like html twine? Although I would like to put my skills into use. Maybe trying to help others

Art is a different matter altogether I have zero experience or skills in art I am even unsure of how to start into it whether it be 2d or 3d. Though my interest in art I would like to try making it albeit just starting so for now I will be just focusing on text - based game and try combining them bit by bit but albeit a long time.

Though I know that making a game requires a long process of how many years I still would still like to try starting at the very least.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
You can make a text based game on anything, including Unity.
Twine would be a popular choice.

I am Muk

Jun 15, 2022
I think you will understand RenPy and the Python syntax very quickly, since you are a programmer. Keep in mind that you can make anything you want, even if it's not good. Of you want to draw and try out RenPy, go for it. Try to think of a simple story, type it in RenPy and draw a few backgrounds for the locations.

As long as you're willing to learn, you will progress. Don't worry about making this the best game out there, you will do that after a while! Good luck!

XforU

Of Horingar
Game Developer
Nov 2, 2017
Honey select doesn't require any animation skill whatsoever... I'd suggest you pick that up for your art.

kaelarch

May 23, 2018
Honey select doesn't require any animation skill whatsoever... I'd suggest you pick that up for your art.
Have been hearing about honey select but it seems rather limited compared to others which i keep on hearing.

kaelarch

May 23, 2018
You can make a text based game on anything, including Unity.
Twine would be a popular choice.
Seems to be the best route for now and then moving onto twine when I can actually make art or do art.
I think you will understand RenPy and the Python syntax very quickly, since you are a programmer. Keep in mind that you can make anything you want, even if it's not good. Of you want to draw and try out RenPy, go for it. Try to think of a simple story, type it in RenPy and draw a few backgrounds for the locations.

As long as you're willing to learn, you will progress. Don't worry about making this the best game out there, you will do that after a while! Good luck!
seems to be after all start small and simple, tons of stories to make but so little time

XforU

Of Horingar
Game Developer
Nov 2, 2017
Have been hearing about honey select but it seems rather limited compared to others which i keep on hearing.
It really is somewhat limited but on the bright side it doesn't require any skill so you can focus on programming if you're going to do this alone.
Otherwise DAZ3D.

kaelarch

May 23, 2018
It really is somewhat limited but on the bright side it doesn't require any skill so you can focus on programming if you're going to do this alone.
Otherwise DAZ3D.
Thats true well for now I might polish my writing skills first with the amount of imagination one has it stills up to the writers skill to envision it and make it clear to the players.

Reactions: XforU

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
Hello! I am a recently or going to graduate CPE student and looking for ways to improve or even make a story as a hobby seeing that all the games I played here it made me think with all the time i have I could try making a game as a hobby.

First I have an idea to make a first game but seeing as I lack experience and skills I would basically then just be trying to opt to make a text - based game. I like to see myself as a capable reader and hope to put it into writing. Most of the time my imagination makes me think of worlds or fantastical stories that although may lack originality seems to be a lot since I also day dream a lot. This way I could try putting or at least improving my writing skills to use. Though I guess I could try applying for some people in creating content or at least make a creation of something.

Well though I have a few skills and recently graduated or going to graduate in computer engineering so I am capable of programming some C++, java, php, html. Though I don't have experience with renpy or unity but might try exploring them. Any ideas if renpy is a good place to just make a text based game for a start or other types like html twine? Although I would like to put my skills into use. Maybe trying to help others

Art is a different matter altogether I have zero experience or skills in art I am even unsure of how to start into it whether it be 2d or 3d. Though my interest in art I would like to try making it albeit just starting so for now I will be just focusing on text - based game and try combining them bit by bit but albeit a long time.

Though I know that making a game requires a long process of how many years I still would still like to try starting at the very least.
I have zero art background, zero programming background, pretty much zero anything needed to make a game. Prior to the end of last year I had never played an adult game and had never even heard of a visual novel. I started from scratch the week before Christmas learning how to use Daz3d and Ren'py and I just released a 45 minute plus demo of my game earlier this month (see my signature). And I work a demanding full-time job.

If I can do it, anybody can do it.

Reactions: kaelarch

Eezergoode

Oct 31, 2017
Daz doesn't require a lot of skill to use, but it does require some knowledge or willingness to learn to use it well. If, however, you are willing to go with "okay enough" Daz is a great choice even without a ton of knowledge and skill. If you can take a good photograph, you can probably pull of at least decent Daz renders. I can't speak to Honey Select, because I won't use it, mainly because I don't care for the models I've seen for it. But my understanding is, it is pretty easy to use.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Got to say. RenPy is surely an easy choice.
Skilled people can make it look like something else.
I think it's a great platform to make a game.
The more harder part is to have a good story and DAZ skills.
Now i am trying to do my own game but there are some setbacks here and there. So it takes time.
Haven't ventured too much to other engines but i think it is today easier to make a game than years ago. Besides the first RPG maker games.
RenPy seems to me a somewhat easy to understand language. I am not a programmer, nor want to be but to make you game special, there are a lot of options.

To me it boils more down to story and DAZ.

kaelarch

May 23, 2018
Thanks for the help though from what I have read Ill just try to learn how to make a good story for now, one step at a time after all.

eugeneloza

Jan 2, 2022
making a game requires a long process of how many years
No, it doesn't. I mean it can, but doesn't have to. More than that, I'd highly recommend you to start small. From something simple that can be made in a month or less working spare-time. Do not try to go big, first you lack experience to handle a large project (it requires some specific skills), second you need to aim at "quick result" for self-motivation.
And another thing... why text-based game? Unless you want exactly this kind of games... Why not try e.g. a simple roguelike? Or any other game where you can not only test your writing skills, but rise and shine as a programmer? Plus a game with high replayability is much more fun to make as you can play it yourself over and over during the development process.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I think i learned not to overthink.
I am not by any means experienced but i learned that you need to have a story path. Not sure if renders need to be top tear. There are some games that don't have that great renders but otherwise they are fantastic.

As for length. Really depends. Whats small, whats large.
As a beginner i would, as i do, go for kinetic story line. Less hassle with additional path, though that really depends on commitment and additional renders.

One lesson i took from my experience is, to make character before you start making the game. Also for different occasion. Wardrobe change or tan applied or whatever.
It's (imo) not great to do that when you setup a scene.

There are so many things i can think off. Another issue will be maybe light. This is so frustrating if you start DAZ and have no knowledge. So this should be understood before venturing into a story.

That's what comes to my mind. There are surely more things but that's at the top of my head.

Also having fun doing it. Not work too long on it. Give yourself time. No pressure. And trust your gut feeling.

quarzo

Aug 25, 2017
since you already are a programmer you can too try a simple 2d game as flappy birds in any engine (unity2d/godot) with free youtube tutorials where they already share the assets and adquire the main knowlege of how game code works :D