Making Custom Maps for HS2

BigBubba

Nov 15, 2018
Going through this website I found this guide and I’ve searched for other guides but it seems this is the only one applicable.

I’m wondering how to create/import custom maps into Neo Studio 2. So far the idea is to create either items in blender or unity and import them into Neo Studio to build the map there.

However, I’m wondering if I can still use this guide to instead make maps in Unity and import that custom map into Neo Studio as a full map.

Which would be easier? Importing the items I’d use in unity to build inside Neo or just building the entire thing in Unity and import that to Neo?

if anyone has any information on this subject or experience I’d love to hear from you. I don’t have interest getting the maps into the actual game of Honey Select 2, only getting them into Neo Studio 2.

Reactions: Mizzel

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Which would be easier? Importing the items I’d use in unity to build inside Neo or just building the entire thing in Unity and import that to Neo?
Considering honey select is a memory sink, you should probably build the full map as a single object in any 3D modelling software and only then move it to HS for better performance.

But if you need parts of the map to be moveable or if the map is not that big then you could import items individually anyways.

Hunkker

Game Developer
Jun 4, 2020
I use Honey Select 1, so I don't know if my advice might help. What I do is the first thing you mentioned, just import the map (using Unity) as you would do with any other object and use it in Studio. I found that doing it that way screws up the lightning, everything is super bright, (specially with full premade rooms, or maybe I'm doing something wrong) but it gets the job done.

SatinAndIvory

Jan 22, 2023
I use Honey Select 1, so I don't know if my advice might help. What I do is the first thing you mentioned, just import the map (using Unity) as you would do with any other object and use it in Studio. I found that doing it that way screws up the lightning, everything is super bright, (specially with full premade rooms, or maybe I'm doing something wrong) but it gets the job done.
I'd say it's the other way around in HS2/AIS, as our built-in lighting system sucks compared to what you can get in blender or baked in unity. You get a shit ton of jagged edged shadows and the problem gets more compounded the more objects and lights you have in the scene.

BigBubba

Nov 15, 2018
I'd say it's the other way around in HS2/AIS, as our built-in lighting system sucks compared to what you can get in blender or baked in unity. You get a shit ton of jagged edged shadows and the problem gets more compounded the more objects and lights you have in the scene.
So should I do the lighting in HS2 and just the map without lights in the 3D software? Or should I do the lighting in the 3D software and move it with the map and hope it doesn't get fucked in the importing process?

BigBubba

Nov 15, 2018
Considering honey select is a memory sink, you should probably build the full map as a single object in any 3D modelling software and only then move it to HS for better performance.

But if you need parts of the map to be moveable or if the map is not that big then you could import items individually anyways.
I could always move those individual items around again in the 3D Software but I can see situationally where I'd need singular items especially if I'm making maps with some of the items already in StudioNeo 2 from the repack/extra mods.

I think that's really sound advice though. I don't know if it makes any difference but I'm using Honey Select 2 and I have a AMD Ryzen 9 3950x so I think I should be able to handle the decently larger scenes.

BigBubba

Nov 15, 2018
When I was first researching there was definitely a bit more documentation on importing maps/items into HS1 and the first Neo Studio and I know that some of the scripts involved are deprecated for HS2. I think I'll definitely have to use some trial and error on this but the thing I'm mostly concerned with is the actual steps of importing something into StudioNeo 2 since all I have is Hooh's guide.

SatinAndIvory

Jan 22, 2023
So should I do the lighting in HS2 and just the map without lights in the 3D software? Or should I do the lighting in the 3D software and move it with the map and hope it doesn't get fucked in the importing process?
The lighting in HS2 sucks. If you can and know how, it's way better to do the lighting in 3d software and move it with the map.

Kisthoria

Nov 29, 2020
When I was first researching there was definitely a bit more documentation on importing maps/items into HS1 and the first Neo Studio and I know that some of the scripts involved are deprecated for HS2. I think I'll definitely have to use some trial and error on this but the thing I'm mostly concerned with is the actual steps of importing something into StudioNeo 2 since all I have is Hooh's guide.
Hey did you ever figure anything out?