Unity Making VNs in Unity

ByteKiss

Nov 13, 2021
Hello guys. I've been considering switching from RenPy to Unity for my next game, even though it might be counterintuitive. I still want to create a VN, but I also love branching stories, or, at least, stories when the player has a degree of freedom in deciding secondary stuff (whom to romance, what to wear, etc.). That is obviously not realistically doable in RenPy, as the needed renders would grow exponentially. So my attention came to Unity.

The problem is, I have no experience in coding games. I am not an expert in programming languages, even though I'm not a complete beginner either. I am familiar with Python and R for work reasons. But... yeah... who would even make a game in R? So... no experience in coding games.

Basically I want to make a VN with a degree of character customization, and with the possibility of making player's choices matter a bit where without having to render an unrealistic amount of pictures. Also, another interesting feature of Unity is that I could use Filament to render scenes.

So, I'm asking to those who know programming if it is worth learning to code in Unity (I guess Java or C#?) to this kind of project. I know there will be a learning curve, but not that hard hopefully.

Rell games

May 5, 2020
There's might another option for you to consider - Unreal Engine.
UE has a free VN framework - that will do most of the things you need from VN for you.
And with the Blueprint system, you won't need to learn any language syntax to program the custom logic of your game.
The best place to start -

The main downside with 3d games is that most users on this site won't be able to run it since most of the people have low-end PCs. If you open any decent 3d game here, you'll see in reviews that mostly people are complaining about bad optimization.